Chris Spielman sues Ohio State University over use of athletes’ images

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Columbus Post Dispatch:

Few Ohio State football players have been considered more iconic as a Buckeye than Chris Spielman.

Since his All-America career from 1984 to ’87, Spielman has been viewed as the embodiment of the program’s values — tough, selfless and loyal.

That’s why it was considered such stunning news Friday that Spielman is the plaintiff in a class-action suit filed in federal court in Columbus against Ohio State University on behalf of all former and current Buckeyes football players.

“I feel sick about it,” Spielman told The Dispatch. “But I believe in doing the right thing. I teach my kids to stand up for what’s right. Players have a right. If somebody wanted to endorse you, don’t you think you have a right to say yes or no, or to negotiate? That’s a common-sense thing. We want to be partners. We don’t want to be adversaries.”

Spielman said his attorney, Brian K. Duncan, tried for eight months to resolve the issue with Ohio State.

The athletic department released a statement from athletic director Gene Smith late Friday afternoon.

“We immensely value our relationships with all our former student-athletes,” Smith said. “Ohio State is aware of the lawsuit that Chris Spielman has filed, and we are in the process of reviewing it.”

In the suit, Spielman asks for more than $75,000, but that’s simply an amount typical in such complaints. The amount of any award or settlement could be much more.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/201707...-state-university-over-use-of-athletes-images

Go Gophers!!

Sure seems like legally they'd need a release or consent from the athlete to put their likeness on sponsor advertising. Seems basic but I'm not an attorney.

Ohio State offered low 6 figures, they took the advertising down...sure seems like they should of settled before it got to this point? No need to publicize you were dumb. Just pay the penalty.

Top Bottom