"Richardson is one of the better DL in the entire country"

This thread is well on the way to setting a record for fewest posts that actually address the original point of the thread.

I am looking forward to watching Steven Richardson play for the Gophers this year. I love his style of play, and his relentless attitude. He's an easy guy to root for. If he gets drafted, and goes on to an NFL career, that's great for him. I suppose it adds a little prestige to the Gopher program, and I suppose it's somewhat of a plus for recruiting if the Gophers can say "we have X number of former players in the NFL."

But, my main concern is with the Gopher program. If they have 1 player in the NFL, or 20 players in the NFL, they're in the NFL - they're not playing for the Gophers anymore.

No offense to anyone, but I don't think a lot of HS players look at the U of MN and say, "I'm going to the Gophers because that gives me a better chance to go to the NFL." HS players choose colleges for all kinds of reasons - primarily their relationship with the coaching staff, opportunities for playing time, and (sometimes) family and geographical considerations. I don't see the Gophers necessarily becoming a pipeline to the NFL, and I don't think they need to be a pipeline to the NFL. They just need to recruit players who fit the system and can help the Gophers win games. after their Gopher career is over, I wish them the best - in the NFL, or working in a job at Cargill, or Federated Insurance, or any other fine MN company.

This thread is well on the way to setting a record for fewest posts that actually address the original point of the thread.

I am looking forward to watching Steven Richardson play for the Gophers this year. I love his style of play, and his relentless attitude. He's an easy guy to root for. If he gets drafted, and goes on to an NFL career, that's great for him. I suppose it adds a little prestige to the Gopher program, and I suppose it's somewhat of a plus for recruiting if the Gophers can say "we have X number of former players in the NFL."

But, my main concern is with the Gopher program. If they have 1 player in the NFL, or 20 players in the NFL, they're in the NFL - they're not playing for the Gophers anymore.

No offense to anyone, but I don't think a lot of HS players look at the U of MN and say, "I'm going to the Gophers because that gives me a better chance to go to the NFL." HS players choose colleges for all kinds of reasons - primarily their relationship with the coaching staff, opportunities for playing time, and (sometimes) family and geographical considerations. I don't see the Gophers necessarily becoming a pipeline to the NFL, and I don't think they need to be a pipeline to the NFL. They just need to recruit players who fit the system and can help the Gophers win games. after their Gopher career is over, I wish them the best - in the NFL, or working in a job at Cargill, or Federated Insurance, or any other fine MN company.

I do too, can't wait! He's going to cause all kinds of problems for opposing offenses. Totally spot on with the balance of your post, thanks.

So in Fleck's first 3 seasons, you expect him to have the greatest 3 year run in the last 50 years.

Thanks for your honesty.

I can't speak for others, but I most certainly do. What are we paying him for? Why are we paying him (by far) the highest salary in the history of Gopher athletics if we don't expect the greatest results?

I can't speak for others, but I most certainly do. What are we paying him for? Why are we paying him (by far) the highest salary in the history of Gopher athletics if we don't expect the greatest results?

I understand that but I don't think it will happen in the first 3 seasons. I would expect that run in years 3, 4, & 5

Should we have been super happy with TC then since he was paid so low?

What Playa said. If Fleck doesn't bring us to the Rose Bowl (or higher) he was a failed hire. I expect greatness from him, but also acknowledge the reality of our roster this year and in 2018 when we are gutted at DT.

What Playa said. If Fleck doesn't bring us to the Rose Bowl (or higher) he was a failed hire. I expect greatness from him, but also acknowledge the reality of our roster this year and in 2018 when we are gutted at DT.

I don't necessarily agree with the last sentence. We will have some kids that will have redshirted this year, a juco kid, and incoming players. Weaker, yes... Gutted , no. You don't replace Richardson, Stelter and Jackson easily, but if Moore can take a step and one of the redshirte can play we will be ok.plus you always have the true freshmen that surprise, maybe a DT will be that one...you never know.

You're not stupid enough to think the Fleck hire was made for this year or next year are you? Then again you are still butthurt Fleck "insulted" Kill's culture, so I think you're being disingenuous.

I don't necessarily agree with the last sentence. We will have some kids that will have redshirted this year, a juco kid, and incoming players. Weaker, yes... Gutted , no. You don't replace Richardson, Stelter and Jackson easily, but if Moore can take a step and one of the redshirte can play we will be ok.plus you always have the true freshmen that surprise, maybe a DT will be that one...you never know.

The last staff didn't leave a single underclassmen at DT. In 6 months, the only DT remaining on the roster that was brought in by the last staff will be Gary Moore. If that's not a bare cupboard, I don't know what is...

You're not stupid enough to think the Fleck higher was made for this year or next year are you? Then again you are still butthurt Fleck "insulted" Kill's culture, so I think you're being disingenuous.

Fleck? Aren't you thinking Coyle? Although Fleck is down playing things publicly, I would be very surprised if he isn't pushing the team to shoot for a BigTen West title. Assuming Fleck is for real (I assume he is btw) he wants to win now. I don't think he would have left WMU if he didn't think he could win a title sooner than later.

So what, five years to get back to a 9-win season?

I mean we won 9 games with the bowl but it was no guarantee we were going to win 9 this year if we kept Claeys. We will have a new system, new coaches, and will have an inexperienced QB. It's not impossible to go on a run but to expect it the first 3 years is unrealistic. I expect us to be above .500 the next 2 seasons and by year 3 we will be a legit contender if that's not the case then Fleck hire was a failure. I don't get how everybody just think we are this loaded team but have complained about all the games we lost vs top 25 teams the last few years.

Fleck? Aren't you thinking Coyle? Although Fleck is down playing things publicly, I would be very surprised if he isn't pushing the team to shoot for a BigTen West title. Assuming Fleck is for real (I assume he is btw) he wants to win now. I don't think he would have left WMU if he didn't think he could win a title sooner than later.

Why wouldn't he set team goals to win the Big Ten West. I'm sure Rutgers & Illinois have goals set for the Big Ten Championship that doesn't mean much

Why wouldn't he set team goals to win the Big Ten West. I'm sure Rutgers & Illinois have goals set for the Big Ten Championship that doesn't mean much

We can go on and on, but it can be done at Minnesota. Will the team need some luck? Yes, but it can be done. We have some very good players returning.

Comparing Minnesota to Illinois is a laugher. Minnesota destroyed them last season on the road. The took the foot off of the gas and still beat them badly. Granted there is talent in Illinois, but to compare Illinois chances to ours?

We can go on and on, but it can be done at Minnesota. Will the team need some luck? Yes, but it can be done. We have some very good players returning.

Comparing Minnesota to Illinois is a laugher. Minnesota destroyed them last season on the road. The took the foot off of the gas and still beat them badly. Granted there is talent in Illinois, but to compare Illinois chances to ours?

Damn it Duke keep your helmet up this year....

Not comparing the chances, I'm stating that should be every coach's goal especially internally. That doesn't mean that it's a failed season if we don't win 9 or 10 games this year. I wouldn't have consider it a failure if Claeys didn't win 9 this year. Replacing a QB even if he was part of the problem is tough.

Not comparing the chances, I'm stating that should be every coach's goal especially internally. That doesn't mean that it's a failed season if we don't win 9 or 10 games this year. I wouldn't have consider it a failure if Claeys didn't win 9 this year. Replacing a QB even if he was part of the problem is tough.

Agree.

Given the way our schedules line up this year, I don't think that it's realistic to expect the Gophers to win the B1G West.
I would be willing to give 1:24 odds on that, seriously.
In fact, I'm willing to give the Badgers 3:1 odds to win the West.

Back to Richardson, I hope we can keep him healthy. With Richardson, Jackson, Stelter and Moore inside, this DL could be dominant. Hopefully someone steps up big time at the Elephant DE. Jackson and Stelter played very well toward the end of the season.

Nah, he think Fleck insulted Kill at his opening press conference.

Exactly. And even though Richardson is a really good college player, I still think it's a stretch he gets drafted because he's about 5'10".

And for PE, yes you do have a good idea of who's going to be drafted heading into their SR years. Of the Gopher players who ended up drafted or signed as UDFA from last years team, you knew all of them had a chance before the season started.

No one would have given IF14 a chance of making an NFL roster heading into his Sr season. Likely not after his Sr season either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us about all these seniors that will get drafted on this loaded team...

I'm gonna say the Punter and Long Snapper. Thoughts?

Given the way our schedules line up this year, I don't think that it's realistic to expect the Gophers to win the B1G West.
I would be willing to give 1:24 odds on that, seriously.
In fact, I'm willing to give the Badgers 3:1 odds to win the West.

I don't understand. This year's schedule is, on paper, just as easy as last year. About as favorable for the Gophers as you could hope for.

No one would have given IF14 a chance of making an NFL roster heading into his Sr season. Likely not after his Sr season either.

I agree with your example but he still wasn't a productive college WR. He's still on a NFL roster bc he has great speed and size that can be utilized on special teams.

I agree with your example but he still wasn't a productive college WR. He's still on a NFL roster bc he has great speed and size that can be utilized on special teams.

I agree with this, except I would say he has speed that is helpful on the practice squad / scout team.

Tell us about all these seniors that will get drafted on this loaded team...

Depending on the season, there are 4 or 5 guys that could get drafted, probably all rounds 3-7. What's your point?

I don't understand. This year's schedule is, on paper, just as easy as last year. About as favorable for the Gophers as you could hope for.

Thank you. Last year you could argue that we should have beaten Penn St. and Wisc...Neb is a little tougher but regardless in all 3 ML7

Thank you. Last year you could argue that we should have beaten Penn St. and Wisc...Neb is a little tougher but regardless in all 3 ML7

Penn St. and Iowa were messy games where it seemed nobody wanted to win that game...

Michigan St is still significantly better than Rutgers. I'll also put good money that that Oregon St and Northwestern are better this year than last year and we play both of them on the road. This years schedule is still manageable, but it's tougher than last year.

Top Bottom