Athletes Village progressing well - looks impressive

hungan1

Reaction score
I just took a peak thru the live cam, and it sure looks like they are progressing really well.

It is great to know that they will accommodate all 700+ athletes in one location. No more eating in hallways, and the walk-ons get treated just like the scholarship players.

It is all inclusive.

I forgot about the new track and field being part of the package. It will be exciting to see the track and field team sponsor meets at the U in a brand new field. It will benefit the area HS and colleges too.

What will be next? Improvement of Williams Arena and the U's Natatorium? I don't want WIlliams Arena to change its charm. Keep the raised flooring.

http://www.nothingshortofgreatness.com/liveFeed.php

http://www.nothingshortofgreatness.com/facilities.php

Thanks for that.

I saw the webcam images linked yesterday, then rode over the bridge to the south on my bike tonight, on the sidewalk to get a good look.

I was struck by how visible the multi-floor main building is from over by the liquor store by McDonalds, just into Dinkytown. I was even more struck by how gigantic the football building looks when viewing it from over by the tailgate lots over by the stadium and Mariucci. I hope they light the whole thing up well during night games, giving the TV producers something to show and something for the talking heads to discuss during dead spots in the broadcast.

I sort of lost track of how great the area around the stadium looks today relative to back in 2009 when the first game was played, in all directions. The Academic buildings to the North really spruced up the area, as did the new Apartments on the other side. Once the Village is done, and the crappy hotel is torn down and filled in with the new development, the area will really look spectacular to visitors.

The only missing parts are for the suspect 1970's U of M office building on the SE corner to go away, and for Williams Arena to get fixed up, and it will hard to top be the look of the area around the stadium. The Neighborhoods around Camp Randall, Ryan Field, and Kinnick Stadium certainly will not measure up too well, even though all three have their charms.

Considering how most of this area. just over ten years ago was a desolate brownfield next a railroad yard and some ratty buildings, I am amazed at the result.

I just took a peak thru the live cam, and it sure looks like they are progressing really well.

It is great to know that they will accommodate all 700+ athletes in one location. No more eating in hallways, and the walk-ons get treated just like the scholarship players.

It is all inclusive.

I forgot about the new track and field being part of the package. It will be exciting to see the track and field team sponsor meets at the U in a brand new field. It will benefit the area HS and colleges too.

What will be next? Improvement of Williams Arena and the U's Natatorium? I don't want WIlliams Arena to change its charm. Keep the raised flooring.

http://www.nothingshortofgreatness.com/liveFeed.php

http://www.nothingshortofgreatness.com/facilities.php

Thanks for posting this info. Love track and field!

I think we can really thank Jerry Kill for this. If it wasn't for him I don't know that we'd be looking at this. Hope people don't forget that. The guy worked endlessly to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we can really thank Jerry Kill for this. If it wasn't for him I don't know that we'd be looking at this. Hope people don't forget that. The guy worked endlessly to make it happen.

Agree 100% He knew that this was a big time problem.

Jerry took the long view for the program, and pushed and fought hard for it. Ergo, that may have contributed in part to his health issues doing multiple roles.

I really felt bad that they where not able to hire him in some capacity. With all the tormoil that was occurring at the time with Teague being booted and Beth Getz in an interim position, the timing was wrong. I don't remember if they had offered him some role. I stand to be corrected. I thought he wanted to be more engaged with the football program in some capacity. I don't think he will come back now.

Jerry Kill deserves some credit for making the new athletics facility upgrade a reality.

And from what I remember, Glen Mason for TCF. At least getting the ball rolling and being the one to speak out against the damn dome. HHH was supposed to be the perfect stadium for Gopher football when it was built but it fell far short of what we really needed. A stadium on campus.

Have not been following this as close as many of you. Is there an update on when it will be finished?

Jerry took the long view for the program, and pushed and fought hard for it. Ergo, that may have contributed in part to his health issues doing multiple roles.

I really felt bad that they where not able to hire him in some capacity. With all the tormoil that was occurring at the time with Teague being booted and Beth Getz in an interim position, the timing was wrong. I don't remember if they had offered him some role. I stand to be corrected. I thought he wanted to be more engaged with the football program in some capacity. I don't think he will come back now.

Jerry Kill deserves some credit for making the new athletics facility upgrade a reality.

I give him credit no doubt.

But let's be clear, Jerry would have quit after the whole TC thing.

And let's imagine the TC thing doesn't happen and Jerry is still around and we try to hire PJ? How do we explain how as HC PJ isn't the only face of the team with Jerry around.... or explain to Jerry that he's not the face of the team now?

Jerry is gone, or PJ chooses not to take the job.

Outside of actually coaching Jerry isn't of much value to us or anyone.

It would have been really messy, awkward, and we may not have been able to hire PJF.

I am not knocking Tracy Claeys, but the U made the right choice IMHO to move one in a new direction with PJF.

Right or wrong, we need to take the program to the next level after Kill/Claeys stabilized the program.

We don't want to aspire to be forever in 3rd to 5th place in B1G West.

I'd say replace Kill for Teague. I think his vision and ambition was the primary thing that got this going and we raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch. He was 10 times more proactive compared to Maturi regarding facilities and fundraising. I think he is the #1 reason this is getting built.

Erect the statute already!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would have been really messy, awkward, and we may not have been able to hire PJF.

I am not knocking Tracy Claeys, but the U made the right choice IMHO to move one in a new direction with PJF.

Right or wrong, we need to take the program to the next level after Kill/Claeys stabilized the program.

We don't want to aspire to be forever in 3rd to 5th place in B1G West.
I have no argument about needing to make the move it's a matter of how you do it.

California replaced there Head Coach and did it with class and respect.

Coyle did it, with no class and malice!, I have absolutely no respect for the man.

I have no argument about needing to make the move it's a matter of how you do it.

Coyle did it, with no class and malice!, I have absolutely no respect for the man.

Stating the obvious, you are not alone. Many fans were/ are disappointed with how that situation was handled.

By implying their football coach wasn't fully committed to the team and the university I wouldn't say that the UC athletics director had much respect for hisr football coach. I liked the way both AD's fired their coaches. No hypocrisy and no bullsh*t. Division I head coaches are highly paid professionals who deserve to get fired if they publicly challenge the authority of their bosses or demonstrate that they are not fully committed to to the school. Neither Dykes or Claeys deserved a hug and a gold watch on the way out the door.

Head coach Sonny Dykes fired, with Cal saying it wants ‘commitment’

Cal coach Sonny Dykes has been reportedly fired, just weeks before National Signing Day. The Golden Bears went 5-7 this season, giving him a final record of 19-30. Said athletic director Mike Williams in a statement:

There was no rush to judgment; we wanted to be thorough and thoughtful. Ultimately, it was a combination of factors that brought us to this outcome. ... Primarily, we want what's best for our student-athletes and have a head coach in place who is fully committed to our program and our university. ... After our bowl win last season, we showed our commitment to him with a contract extension. But after looking at a number of factors after the end of this season, I felt that we needed a change of direction for the good of our student-athletes and our program. ...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/8/13375394/sonny-dykes-fired-cal-head-coach

Mark Coyle’s statement on the firing of Tracy Claeys

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle today relieved Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys of his duties, along with most of the rest of the coaching staff. Some staff will remain with the program during the transition to a new coaching staff.

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

Different standards, different policies.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

Different standards, different policies.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017...claeys-statement-mark-coyle-athletic-director

Top Bottom