Assessing Every HC Hire from Power 5 Teams from 2012-16 (Busts: #2. Tracy Claeys, MN)

The evidence for that is 5 of the 10 players won their cases on appeal. That's due process folks.

That's not evidence of due process.

You could flip a coin and come out with a numerical result on appeal, that also isn't due process.

You can screw up part 1, even if you resolve it in part 2, you can cause injury and have failed at due process.

Any process is not due process. Nor is the result being to your liking proof of anything....

I wasn't happy with the story, but I am happy with the outcome.
We could have gone two ways after that report was released, Baylor or the high road.
Claeys needed to go.
He was my favorite head coach since Mason (one was an offensive savant, the other defensive), but I didn't want to watch a team full of thugs and rapists.
We haven't beaten our biggest rival in 5001 days, I didn't want to spend this season getting flack for our values as well.
I was supportive of the boycott, but after reading that report, I couldn't support anyone involved in that situation.
I honestly believe that Claeys would have developed into the best Gopher football coach in modern history, but he was just going to be a cloud over our program for however long he stayed.

Claeys was my least favorite coach other than Brewster (going back to Holtz).

The way he handled that game at home against Michigan sealed his fate with where he stood on my book of Gopher coaches.
Even Wacker didn't show that level of coaching incompetence.

Glad he's gone.

The way he handled that game at home against Michigan sealed his fate with where he stood on my book of Gopher coaches.

Glad he's gone.

Agreed, can't believe they gave him a contract after the Michigan game.

The reason lawsuits were not filed is that the weight of the evidence shows the U did nothing wrong in it's handling of the cases. They followed their student disciplinary procedures exactly as they are written. The procedures are published on the U's website for all to see. Many of the cases that are brought by students against colleges and universities for violating their due process rights allege that the schools didn't follow their own disciplinary procedures or that their procedures were flawed because they didn't provide the students a fair opportunity to challenge the evidence against them. None of that is true at the U. The evidence for that is 5 of the 10 players won their cases on appeal. That's due process folks.

I am not buying the argument that the cases should not have been brought in the first place. There was plenty of independent evidence that at least some of the players tried to cover-up their activities that night by wiping their cell phones clean, coordinating their stories, and lying about where they were and what they were doing. At the very least an investigation and hearings were needed to try to get to the bottom of what really happened. Five of the players won on appeal and good for them. But it in no way means they were treated unfairly by the U. Reasonable people believe the opposite is true.

Is it due process if you are found guilty of something before you can really argue your case? It's great they can appeal but shouldn't they get a chance to argue their side of the story before a decision is made? They may have done things according to their procedures but many are arguing that the procedures suck.

5 of 10 players won their appeal, but the general public still views this as "the 10 rapists" or that 5 players got away with rape.

Agreed, can't believe they gave him a contract after the Michigan game.

I think the only reason they did was because he was their only option. They weren't going to let the under-qualified, interim AD, make a $10 million hire.

Bad decision to keep an incompetent coach who will never get a head coaching job, but probably their best option at the time. Interest for the job would have been minimal from outside candidates knowing a new AD would be coming in who would want to make his/her own football coach hire.

Glad he's gone.

You're not wrong, but that was a _really_ good Michigan team, and if he played that game again this year, we would win.
Same with the Iowa game, same with the Wisconsin game.
He was a junior head coach with two idiots running the offense.
I firmly believe that if he had stayed like 2 more years, we would be right up there with Wisconsin.
I'm happy he's gone too, but for a very different reason.

Glad he's gone.
Obviously you never watched the game we shall not discuss(03').

Obviously you never watched the game we shall not discuss(03').

'05, '06, I mean you can find one of those pretty much every year if you look.
Only difference under Claeys was that we we flubbing on the other side of the ball, which, imho, is easier to fix.

'05, '06, I mean you can find one of those pretty much every year if you look.
Only difference under Claeys was that we we flubbing on the other side of the ball, which, imho, is easier to fix.

The point is if Mitch gets two more inches we win. 03? That was 15 minutes (playing time) of slow moving train wreckage on both sides of the ball save one TD run. Coach Claey's vs Michigan doesn't even make the top five to ten IMHO. It just hurts because we were so close.

I wasn't happy with the story, but I am happy with the outcome.
We could have gone two ways after that report was released, Baylor or the high road.
Claeys needed to go.
He was my favorite head coach since Mason (one was an offensive savant, the other defensive), but I didn't want to watch a team full of thugs and rapists.
We haven't beaten our biggest rival in 5001 days, I didn't want to spend this season getting flack for our values as well.
I was supportive of the boycott, but after reading that report, I couldn't support anyone involved in that situation.
I honestly believe that Claeys would have developed into the best Gopher football coach in modern history, but he was just going to be a cloud over our program for however long he stayed.

While I am in agreement with most your post...Wow, just wow.

I think you're a bit far down the political rabbit hole compared to what the department actually can and can't do.

School was required via Department's "dear Colleague letter" that expanded the scope of sexual harassment within Title IX. Requires that schools stop it in place.

I believe (not sure) that this tactic was a loophole first notice by Cheney in his days in the Nixon administration and he finally got the chance to exploit when he was VP (i.e. expanding law via memo). Which essentially allows the executive branch ridiculous latitude in legal interpretations. Which he used to sidestep rules for "enhanced interrogations." However, the above is all from memory.

I think the point Pompous is trying to make is he believes what memo giveith, memo can takeith. We'll see.

1. Way too much talk about a game we have all agreed to never talk about.

2. Every time Cruze posts I find myself wishing I could read a SudsMcBucky post instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom