PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-16-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave (and Max) on Sunday.

Sid: will you line up on north or south sidelines?
PJF: (laughing) I think that's the most talked-about thing in town. we have not made a final decision yet. it's been talked about. decision not been made. my job is look at every single angle in this program, re-evalute everything - give team the best chance to win on game days, and that might include the sidelines. still in the works.

Mona: Michigan going to Italy. WI planing a a trip - what about Gophers?
PJF: we'll go to an Italian restaurant in Mpls area. We've Talked about some things. like to be able to do in future. rules are changing so fast. We want to be able to provide an elite experience for our players. if it means travelling abroad, so be it. nothing in the works. thought about doing it. lot of things behind it - university, boosters, supporters put up money. want great experience for student athletes - if we can create it, we'll do it.

Sid: Do you Use recruiting services?
PJF: not necessarily. do a lot of work in house. lot of rules on using (outside) services. we use hudl - go from there.

Sid: O-Line lack of depth. any chance switch players?
PJF: might have to. more or less with FR - incoming FR - not guys on team now. lack depth now. won't be fixed until '18 and '19 recruiting classes, in order to build true depth. (o-line) not only issue. lot of depth issues.

Sid: important to have a veteran at center?
PJF: Jered Weyler looks phenomenal based on film, but we haven't evaluated him live, yet. he's doing a great job in weight room. growing as a person. with 22 guys out due to injuries, that's one of the hardest challenges we face. even in training camp, we will still going through evaluation of players. not close to mastery (of system. we will still be finding out what we have as a team (going into season).

Sid: Do you Give QB room to audible?
PJF: as much as they can handle. Zach Terrell (at WMU) had a lot of leeway. that's all taught by QB coach and OC. we have a system - QB can change plays but may only be able to change to these two plays based on the initial call.

Mona: U has struggled to put students in stadium. What can you do?
PJF: going to be different. at WMU, we had the same issue. people leave at halftime, students didn't show up. it's entertainment mixed with college FB tradition. got to make game day a lot of fun for these people - especially the students. partly FB. partly entertainment.

Max: will you get involved in that?
PJF: part of building a culture. create new traditions. this is what we want to create. (alludes to Wisconsin) "jump around" - people wait for that. we've got to find things we've never done - instead of just talking about and complaining about issues, have to do something.

Sid: worried about depth at DB's?
PJF: lot of young people will have to play. some graduated - some left program. lot of youth coming through. it will be fixed in '18 and '19 classes - that's where we set up toward the future of the program.

Max: what about Winfield?
PJF: Special player. put a lot on his plate. watch that guy lead. with lack of depth, he's going to be asked to do more. like a glorified SAM LB, S, Corner - line up all over the field.

Sid: what do you know about Oregon State?
PJF: Gary Anderson wonderful coach. saw him in off-season. we've got to worry about us. they're (OSU) getting better. going through growth - ready to break through. we have to be the best us we can be

Sid: when will you release your Practice schedule?
PJF: not made public yet. pretty much done. still in the editing process. will have ready for public soon.

Sid: will practices be Open to public?
PJF: we will have our fair share. big on that. get fans engaged. and then we'll have some practices that are closed, too.

Max: going to the State Fair?
PJF: you bet I'm going. heard all about it.

Sid: Some of (pre-season) publications say you'll win first 7 games, lose last 5. finish 5th in B1G?
PJF: (laughing) haven't seen any publications. that's reason why they get paid to write. doesn't mean anything. I've been expected to be 8-5 and went 1-11. then you flip it around. not interested in expectations. no media source, including people on other end of this phone, or anyone else, will put more expectations on this FB program than me and our players. this is a cultural build - we have a certain way of building our culture.

Mona: practice on Beaches of Lake Nokomis? take part in road trip? (getting engaged with public....)
PJF: we are the only D1 FB program in this state. 5-1/2 million people in state. we are MINNESOTA golden gophers. we are going to embrace that - the entire state, not just Twin Cities. we want our state to connect to our players on a very personal level. we are their team. want them to take a ton of pride in team. make them true fans again.

Sid: MN FB in good shape. Murray's certificate.
PJF: thanks.

I forgot to turn on the radio....

Nice work SON....

Glad to hear PJ got a Murray's certificate!

Pretty in-depth coverage. Thanks S.O.N.

Sid: will you line up on north or south sidelines?

PJF: (laughing) I think that's the most talked-about thing in town. we have not made a final decision yet. it's been talked about. decision not been made. my job is look at every single angle in this program, re-evalute everything - give team the best chance to win on game days, and that might include the sidelines. still in the works.

Switch sides if it helps, but keep everything (cheerleading, band, halftime show, etc.) oriented toward the South side. That's where the people bought the seats, the boxes, the tower, are already in place.

I've heard that we lack O Line depth from every coach I can remember. It seems like our O Line recruits have often been some of our top rated ones (especially the MN kids). If we can't get some redshirt seniors to stay for a fifth year (especially if they aren't expected to start), we will continue to be in this position. Why redshirt them only to leave after their fourth year anyway.

I've heard that we lack O Line depth from every coach I can remember. It seems like our O Line recruits have often been some of our top rated ones (especially the MN kids). If we can't get some redshirt seniors to stay for a fifth year (especially if they aren't expected to start), we will continue to be in this position. Why redshirt them only to leave after their fourth year anyway.

I suppose the first year to Redshirt is that they aren't ready yet (not strong enough etc.). Then when year 5 comes along some of these guys have injuries that are hampering their quality of life and their ability to play solid football so they "retire" in a sense. Perhaps Fleck can figure out a way to keep these guys healthy as no doubt many players are making it to the NFL as they are healthy when they first start playing in the pros.

More importantly...thanks for the report Son! Very much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to seeing what PJ does to increase student excitement and attendance. If we want a real home field advantage and really want to make game day the place to be it HAS to start with the students. It WON'T happen by trying to attract folks who aren't even football fans now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to seeing what PJ does to increase student excitement and attendance. If we want a real home field advantage and really want to make game day the place to be it HAS to start with the students. It WON'T happen by trying to attract folks who aren't even football fans now.

If there is anything learned from the last 20 years of GFB, it's that the coaches don't inherently get the students "fired up".

Winning will do that. That and time help getting rid of the leftover refuse-refugees from the 1960's and 70's that populate the educational staff. Man, do they hate football.

Thanks for the review. Over time, my tolerance of the Sports huddle has weakened. I was down to just tuning in at 10 and waiting for Fleck's time. Now, with your updates, my Sunday mornings are more enjoyable. Ski-U-Mah &RTB!

I suppose the first year to Redshirt is that they aren't ready yet (not strong enough etc.). Then when year 5 comes along some of these guys have injuries that are hampering their quality of life and their ability to play solid football so they "retire" in a sense. Perhaps Fleck can figure out a way to keep these guys healthy as no doubt many players are making it to the NFL as they are healthy when they first start playing in the pros.

More importantly...thanks for the report Son! Very much appreciated.

Who are the
rs Juniors Leaving our program to go elsewhere or to the pro's??

I think they should allow for a party on the field after the game for the students only. that will keep them in the stadium to the end. maybe something after the Team sings to the student section

Maybe give footballs or something afterwards or other prizes (Need to be present to win)

gotta be something to keep the kids there and into the game until the end

A student or students races a former Gopher for prize money. That will keep some people entertained. Let some Sigma Alpha Epsilon race against Laurence Maroney or Tyrone Carter. Even put them in a Freeze costume with sponsorships from Dairy Queen or something.

Coaches can encourage students to attend games, but to really change the game-day atmosphere, the U administration is going to have to pull its thumbs out of its butt and let the students have some fun. let the frats party in public; allow tailgating, music, etc. encourage corporate hospitality tents. Let the bars and restaurants have party tents in the parking lot. In short, let MN be like WI or IA on game day, where the game is the climax of a big freakin' party. And, tell the neighborhood biddies who gripe about the noise that they're living next to a freakin' college - not a monastery. If they want peace and quiet, let them go live next to a cemetery.

Now, do I think Kaler will let that happen? Not in a gazillion years. But maybe we can have face-painting and bean-bag games. That'll get the 'ol school spirit flowing.

Thanks for the recap Short Ornery Norwegian it is much appreciated.

I like your thoughts on getting the students involved, but I think it's going to be a big task.

Coaches can encourage students to attend games, but to really change the game-day atmosphere, the U administration is going to have to pull its thumbs out of its butt and let the students have some fun. let the frats party in public; allow tailgating, music, etc. encourage corporate hospitality tents. Let the bars and restaurants have party tents in the parking lot. In short, let MN be like WI or IA on game day, where the game is the climax of a big freakin' party. And, tell the neighborhood biddies who gripe about the noise that they're living next to a freakin' college - not a monastery. If they want peace and quiet, let them go live next to a cemetery.

Now, do I think Kaler will let that happen? Not in a gazillion years. But maybe we can have face-painting and bean-bag games. That'll get the 'ol school spirit flowing.

Thanks for the summary.

I've seen pretty much all of this happening around TCF on gameday, so I'm wondering how early you get to the games?

Hmmmmm... I wonder what happens to all those Murray's certificates. Does SID dole out at least 50 a year?

They never say what the amount is. Think it's $100 each time?

My daughter will be a sophomore at the U this year. She and her roommate had season football tickets last year and really enjoyed going. They got to their parties at 7 a.m., went to the games and stayed near to the end for most of them. But this year, they're not sure if they're getting tickets.

There are a ton of students pre-gaming at home games. As much as my daughter enjoyed it, she learned that the older students keep the party scheduled, but skip the game. The challenge is getting them to leave the party and enter the stadium.

My daughter will be a sophomore at the U this year. She and her roommate had season football tickets last year and really enjoyed going. They got to their parties at 7 a.m., went to the games and stayed near to the end for most of them. But this year, they're not sure if they're getting tickets.

There are a ton of students pre-gaming at home games. As much as my daughter enjoyed it, she learned that the older students keep the party scheduled, but skip the game. The challenge is getting them to leave the party and enter the stadium.

That is a challenge. If they all were in by the middle of the 1st Qtr, I'd say that's a big win. In all my MN v WI Camp Randall visits, that student section takes pretty much until the end of the 1st Qtr to fill.

First off thanks for your work transcribing the Sports Huddle!

The other thing to keep in mind is it isn't just the U - it's the city of Minneapolis. They're the biggest No Fun Folks of all.

Top Bottom