Credit to previous staff for academic progress

Yeah PJ should keep praising the previous staff whenever he can.

Win a game next year? Thank previous staff for laying the foundation

Lose a game next year? Apologize to fans because the previous staff would have never lost

Sign a good recruiting class? Thank Claeys for laying the foundation for it

Beat Wisconsin? Thank the previous staff for getting so close last year

Constant praise to the almighty ones Kill and Claeys would be best for the program and would really make them happy. Of course they've been really supportive and nice to the new coach and the school the last seven months, so why shouldn't Fleck and Coyle be praising them any chance they get?
Best post you have ever written. I suspect a ghost writer.

Great post.

I thought the same thing about this, but didn't post a comment on the prior thread. I thought Coyle had a lot of audacity to even link himself in any way to the forward academic momentum. The Kill / Claeys regime played a HUGE role in this and culture of the football players in the classroom.

I was waiting for weather guy to comment about Coyle taking credit.

Some won't like it, but Ruesse is SPOT ON with this article. It doesn't take special powers to see what Mark Coyle is - one just needs to pay attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed.

Only Minnesota fans care about academic progress. Yea we don't want guys failing out, we don't want scandals and we don't want to lose scholarships for APR, but beyond that, I don't really care and I'm not apologetic about it. Beat fricking Wisconsin more than once a decade. Alabama fans don't care about APR scores.

Only Minnesota fans care about academic progress. Yea we don't want guys failing out, we don't want scandals and we don't want to lose scholarships for APR, but beyond that, I don't really care and I'm not apologetic about it. Beat fricking Wisconsin more than once a decade. Alabama fans don't care about APR scores.

Does it make it less likely the team will succeed if fans care about academic progress?

Everyone conveniently forgets that during his first three years Brewster improved the football teams academic standing over what it was under Mason. It only fell apart after he was fired during his fourth season.

APR history using the multi-year averages
04/05 Mason 918
05/06 Mason 919
06/07 Brewster 927
07/08 Brewster 915
08/09 Brewster 934
09/10 Brewster 935
10/11 Kill 932
11/12 Kill 955
12/13 Kill 962
13/14 Kill 975
14/15 Kill/Claeys 992
15/16 Claeys 992
16/17 Fleck TBD

These are the four year average numbers. The numbers did increase under Brewster, so your statement is correct. The numbers clearly show, however, that the academic standing of the football team dramatically increased during the Kill/Claeys tenure. Can wait to see what the culture change Coyle laid out was coming to the academic side. He'll have to have his boy go top 1 to improve it.......

Plenty of other schools tout their academic progress.

Why? Haven't read a Reusse article in 12 years. Has something drastically changed?

He became young and black?

I was parodying his article.

Must have been looking for these. They are from May 10th of this year. Of course since they point out how well the U is doing....:rolleyes:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minnesota football team has another high mark for keeping up with the classwork.

Among the Academic Progress Rates released Wednesday by the NCAA, the Gophers were tied with Duke and Vanderbilt for fourth-best among the 128 FBS programs with a 992 four-year average score out of a possible 1,000. Only Northwestern (995), Air Force (995) and Michigan (993) had higher rates, covering the 2012-16 school years.

Team scores are calculated by giving each athlete one point per semester for remaining academically eligible and another point per semester for remaining enrolled or graduating, with a four-point maximum per individual per academic year. Penalties can arise for programs that consistently fall below a 930 score.

Nine of the university’s 25 sports programs posted perfect multi-year scores.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/gopher-football-4th-academic-progress/

And this:

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/051017aaa.html

Coyle doesn't owe the previous regime a thing. Going out of his way to praise them to appease a segment of the fan base who can't move on is not Coyle's job.

Bingo! Precisely. Kill and Claeys were made millionaires by the U. We appreciate their contributions to the program, but the current regime doesn't have to continue to genuflect in their honor!

Top Bottom