Credit to previous staff for academic progress

Tucker32

Reaction score
Well written by Reusse.

The academic progress for which Coyle lauded himself Wednesday started long before he was hired. In football, Jerry Kill dug the Gophers from the academic (and competitive) hole into which they had descended.

Coyle and his new coach, P.J. (Windy) Fleck, have continued to take sideways shots at Kill and Tracy Claeys, 9-4 in his one full season, by beating the drum about the need for a “culture’’ change.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/434714553.html

My hope is PJ will continue the momentum of the previous staff. I also hope PJ will do a better job than his boss acknowledging the positive situation he inherited, for the most part (there are always weak areas in college football). Based on spring semester, there are positive signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well written by Reusse.

The academic progress for which Coyle lauded himself Wednesday started long before he was hired. In football, Jerry Kill dug the Gophers from the academic (and competitive) hole into which they had descended.

Coyle and his new coach, P.J. (Windy) Fleck, have continued to take sideways shots at Kill and Tracy Claeys, 9-4 in his one full season, by beating the drum about the need for a “culture’’ change.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/434714553.html

My hope is PJ will continue the momentum of the previous staff. I also hope PJ will do a better job than his boss acknowledging the positive situation he inherited, for the most part (there are always weak areas in college football). Based on spring semester, there are positive signs.

Great post.

I thought the same thing about this, but didn't post a comment on the prior thread. I thought Coyle had a lot of audacity to even link himself in any way to the forward academic momentum. The Kill / Claeys regime played a HUGE role in this and culture of the football players in the classroom.

Great post.

I thought the same thing about this, but didn't post a comment on the prior thread. I thought Coyle had a lot of audacity to even link himself in any way to the forward academic momentum. The Kill / Claeys regime played a HUGE role in this and culture of the football players in the classroom.

Just find more ways to criticize Coyle. Of course Kill started the turn around and engineered the process, but Coyle has been here for two years and it has continued to get better. Also, PJ has kicked up the emphasis a notch (siting in the front, wearing collared shirt, etc.) so they can't be ignored in continuing the emphasis on academics. Everyone knows that if Brew was the new coach, it would be dropping already. So, yes, Kill should be given a lot of the credit, but let's not belittle the emphasis by the new regime.

I thought it was a pretty good article, but then realized it was written by an old white guy.

I'm not aloof to the continuation of academic success, and I like Fleck and his ideas too.

But Coyle needs to man up and give credit to all who were responsible. He omits doing so by design.

The previous staff definitely deserves a lot of credit but so to do the academic advisors, tutors, etc. I think if there were warts in Kill's program it was socially. I have heard that under Claeys the discipline disappeared a bit. Might be why all the guys involved were relative newcomers to the program.

Yeah PJ should keep praising the previous staff whenever he can.

Win a game next year? Thank previous staff for laying the foundation

Lose a game next year? Apologize to fans because the previous staff would have never lost

Sign a good recruiting class? Thank Claeys for laying the foundation for it

Beat Wisconsin? Thank the previous staff for getting so close last year

Constant praise to the almighty ones Kill and Claeys would be best for the program and would really make them happy. Of course they've been really supportive and nice to the new coach and the school the last seven months, so why shouldn't Fleck and Coyle be praising them any chance they get?

My opinion really has nothing to do with Fleck.... He stepped in and it is his baby now.

My opinion on Coyle regarding this reaches back to his BS filled Claeys "firing" press conference. I see this as a bit of an extension to that.

Don't get me wrong, I like where we are, and where we are being direct and headed....on and off the field.

Great post.

If you (and Reusse) had read the entire prior thread you would have seen this post:

Rodent:

"Coyle wasn't patting himself on the back. He was providing a mandated report to the University of Minnesota Board of Regents about the state of the Athletic Dept of which he is the director. When Regents complimented him, he quickly passed the credit to the students, coaches, and dept staff."

Reusse has never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. Reusse and many GopherHolers have never understood what Coyle and Fleck mean when the talk about "changing the culture" of the Gopher football program. What they really want to do is change the program from a 50-year losing culture into a winning culture in which the team regularly win big games, beat trophy rivals, compete for Big 10 Championships, and fill the football stadium every week with Gopher fans (and not visiting fans). Kill and Claeys never got close to that goal. They made a lot of progress with academics but no one will ever forget that the gang bang scandal happened on their watch.

Johnny - it's not that hard. Here:

(Fictional Coyle statement). "The U of MN continues to make strides in improving the academic performance of athletes. Coach Kill and Claeys did some great work with the FB program, and Coach Fleck is continuing that trend and adding his own emphasis. We are proud to see so many athletes doing well in the classroom, in the revenue and non-revenue sports."

There - that wasn't so bad, was it. And the best part - it's the truth.

It is not a zero-sum game. Saying something nice about Kill and Claeys does NOT take anything away from Fleck. Saying something nice about Kill or Claeys does not make Fleck a worse coach. Fleck (hopefully) has years ahead of him to build his own record of accomplishments - on and off the field.

If you (and Reusse) had read the entire prior thread you would have seen this post:

Rodent:

"Coyle wasn't patting himself on the back. He was providing a mandated report to the University of Minnesota Board of Regents about the state of the Athletic Dept of which he is the director. When Regents complimented him, he quickly passed the credit to the students, coaches, and dept staff."

Reusse has never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. Reusse and many GopherHolers have never understood what Coyle and Fleck mean when the talk about "changing the culture" of the Gopher football program. What they really want to do is change the programs from a 50-year losing culture into a winning culture in which regularly win big games, beat trophy rivals, compete for Big 10 Championships, and fill the football stadium with Gopher fans. Kill and Claeys never got close to that goal. They made a lot of progress with academics but no one will ever forget that the gang bang scandal happened on their watch.

Got it.

(Fictional Coyle statement). "The U of MN continues to make strides in improving the academic performance of athletes. Coach Kill and Claeys did some great work with the FB program, and Coach Fleck is continuing that trend and adding his own emphasis. We are proud to see so many athletes doing well in the classroom, in the revenue and non-revenue sports."

It is not a zero-sum game. Saying something nice about Kill and Claeys does NOT take anything away from Fleck. Saying something nice about Kill or Claeys does not make Fleck a worse coach. Fleck (hopefully) has years ahead of him to build his own record of accomplishments - on and off the field.

If stated and written in a fashion like this, the matter could be put to bed forever. I guess it can now anyway.

Can anyone tell me where Coyle praised himself in this article? Should he not talk about the academics of the programs to BOR in the annual report?

http://http://startribune.com/u-s-coyle-touts-program-s-academic-and-athletic-success/434151013/?ref=nl&om_rid=1635722697&om_mid=49534409

Don't think that Coyle took credit for the academic performance. He just was presenting the fact that it was deserving of praise.

That link Johnny Boy certainly didn't help. Unless you're a Century Link employee of course. :cool:

Were you in the meeting? Do you know what was said in what I assume was hour plus presentation about the entire athletic department?

Don't think that Coyle took credit for the academic performance. He just was presenting the fact that it was deserving of praise.

That link Johnny Boy certainly didn't help. Unless you're a Century Link employee of course. :cool:

Oops

Everyone conveniently forgets that during his first three years Brewster improved the football teams academic standing over what it was under Mason. It only fell apart after he was fired during his fourth season.

Coyle doesn't owe the previous regime a thing. Going out of his way to praise them to appease a segment of the fan base who can't move on is not Coyle's job.

Coyle doesn't owe the previous regime a thing. Going out of his way to praise them to appease a segment of the fan base who can't move on is not Coyle's job.

:rolleyes:

My opinion really has nothing to do with Fleck.... He stepped in and it is his baby now.

My opinion on Coyle regarding this reaches back to his BS filled Claeys "firing" press conference. I see this as a bit of an extension to that.

Don't get me wrong, I like where we are, and where we are being direct and headed....on and off the field.

Agree with all of this

Some won't like it, but Ruesse is SPOT ON with this article. It doesn't take special powers to see what Mark Coyle is - one just needs to pay attention.

Rodent:

Reusse has never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. Reusse and many GopherHolers have never understood what Coyle and Fleck mean when the talk about "changing the culture" of the Gopher football program. What they really want to do is change the program from a 50-year losing culture into a winning culture in which the team regularly win big games, beat trophy rivals, compete for Big 10 Championships, and fill the football stadium every week with Gopher fans (and not visiting fans). Kill and Claeys never got close to that goal. They made a lot of progress with academics but no one will ever forget that the gang bang scandal happened on their watch.

LOL. What Coyle and Fleck have stated they mean by "culture" has changed so many times in the past 6-months that it would be impossible for anyone to claim they know what the h-e-double hockey sticks they mean by that term. It changes daily as they feel needed and no longer means anything at all.

I thought it was a pretty good article, but then realized it was written by an old white guy.

Racism and ageism all in one sentence. Nice.

FYI I hate Reusse because he's a 24-7 a$$hole. That's plenty right there.

Racism and ageism all in one sentence. Nice.

FYI I hate Reusse because he's a 24-7 a$$hole. That's plenty right there.

Maybe you didn't read the article.

Everyone conveniently forgets that during his first three years Brewster improved the football teams academic standing over what it was under Mason. It only fell apart after he was fired during his fourth season.

That is true the staff checked out on non football stuff after the Purdue game. Can't blame them I wouldn't care if I was a dead man walking

I'm no fan of Coyle, but if you're the AD and promoting the program that's going to involve tooting your own horn too. It doesn't help for Coyle to say Well no thanks to me... we did do the following things...

Maybe you didn't read the article.

Why? Haven't read a Reusse article in 12 years. Has something drastically changed?

He became young and black?

LOL. What Coyle and Fleck have stated they mean by "culture" has changed so many times in the past 6-months that it would be impossible for anyone to claim they know what the h-e-double hockey sticks they mean by that term. It changes daily as they feel needed and no longer means anything at all.

Can you provide some examples where they referenced culture in completely different ways? I'm not saying you're making it up, I just haven't gotten that impression myself. I feel like Fleck has been pretty consistent with his talk of the importance of academics, community, filling the stadium, etc.

And can anyone explain the purpose of him referencing old white guys in his article?

Top Bottom