Athlon: Ranking the Big Ten's 2017 Football Uniforms (11. Minnesota, 12. Iowa)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

11. Minnesota

I'm not changing my opinion on Minnesota's uniforms. They are a little too bland and too close to Central Michigan. It's not bad when the Gophers go with the yellow helmet, but even then, I feel like they can do better. If they switched to a more metallic gold in place of the yellowish deal the currently have going on, these unis would be straight fire!

ShannonBrooks_2016_325.jpg

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-2017-football-uniforms#5

Go Gophers!!

This guy's all over the place. Uniform is too bland, but then comments a few slides later that he likes plain, basic looks. Also says our uniforms look too much like WMU, but then states Nebraska and Wisconsin's are almost exactly the same but ranks them higher.

I really don't care about the ranking, just thought his reasoning made little sense.

This guy's all over the place. Uniform is too bland, but then comments a few slides later that he likes plain, basic looks. Also says our uniforms look to much like WMU, but then states Nebraska and Wisconsin's are almost exactly the same but ranks them higher.

I really don't care about the ranking, just thought his reasoning made little sense.

Millennial thinking.

It has to be a desperate day at Athlon. Ranking uniforms, really.

I agree, would love a metallic looking helmet. But I seem to be a very small minority on that opinion here.

Give it a couple years. Fleck has said "multiple" uniforms by 2018, so we will have lots to discuss/argue about then.

When I attended the U the colors were maroon and GOLD. Must have missed the change. Don't like the various yellows that are used.

I love the current uniforms and I'm afraid of what Fleck will do. But I have to admit that if I'm a fan of another school there's nothing that makes them stand out as better than the rest of the pack.

This guy's all over the place. Uniform is too bland, but then comments a few slides later that he likes plain, basic looks. Also says our uniforms look too much like WMU, but then states Nebraska and Wisconsin's are almost exactly the same but ranks them higher.

You mean Central Michigan?

The Uniforms in the early nineties had that metallic gold color and a few block Ms on the uniforms. They didn't last long though.
1647502.0.jpg

Reminds me of Florida State.

I think the current uniforms are great, and I like the no nonsense, less busy look. As opposed to Oregon or Maryland, whose uniforms are always different and kinda crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love the current uniforms! Wisconsin's W is ugly. Purdue's uni's are brutal. Nebraska is the most plane jane. Northwestern is purple! Early 90's uni's look like Boston College, no thanks. I don't think Ohio State's uniforms are very good. Definitely like the yellow gold with the maroon vs the Boston College gold or Florida State gold. Those early 90's uni's were more red than maroon!

The Uniforms in the early nineties had that metallic gold color and a few block Ms on the uniforms. They didn't last long though.
1647502.0.jpg
Reminds me of Florida State.
As I remember it that's exactly what Wacker had in mind when he chose them. I'm quite sure I remember him saying 'They'll make us look fast'. I'm sure our opponents were fooled...

Our uniforms are missing one critical item ---- oars. Can't wait to see the ranking once those bad as* babies are released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article is all over the map.

I will say I'm not a fan of some of our uniforms. They're not bad but there really doesn't seem to be a distinct design sensibility behind them. They feel like the product of something that went through a committee and homogenized them into cottage cheese.

I hate the white pants at home look, but the gold helmet is pretty cool.

Wait, Athlon is sh*tting all over Minnesota?! NOOOOOOOO........?

They say ours is too bland, but more to it than sconnies.
They say we're too much like CMU?...but they copied theirs
after Nebraska, who's lower than they are... yeah d'ok

I actually agree with three of his top four but I'd put us ahead of the Illini, though I love their colors.

Purdue has the most underrated unis in the conference and their usage of black makes the Hawkeyes' trashy counterparts all the more tacky.

I loved the idea of the gold/yellow helmet but It just doesn't work with maroon. I'd love for us to change the color scheme of our "gold" as well. Maybe more of a Grey Poupon than a Hellmann's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Athlon rarely makes any sense and is usually "all over the place".

Rather odd ranking from Athlon. But it's the off season so I guess this type of stuff always gets thrown out there.

Just for fun, if I had to rank the uniforms, mine would be:

1. Minnesota, obviously.
Maroon and gold just looks so good on a fall Saturday.
This is a pretty good example of how nice the current unis look.

2. Purdue. Might not be the best team, but the black and metallic gold always seems to work.

3. Penn State. Simple, straightforward and thanks to the program's success it has its own identity.

4. Michigan. Winged helmets work, blue and maize compliment each other well.

5. Michigan State. Similar to Penn State, plus the spartan helmet on the side gives some good character.

6. Northwestern. They have a lot of variations and I think a lot of them work pretty well.

7. Iowa. They wear the Pittsburgh Steelers design, but I think the Steelers have a pretty good design so it actually does look pretty good.

8. Indiana. The crimson shade of red is my favorite. The IU logo is also pretty unique.

9. Nebraska. The rest of the reds are all pretty similar to me.

10. Rutgers.

11. Wisconsin.

12. Illinois. A little hit or miss for me. I like the orange jerseys, blue ones not as much.

13. Ohio State. I've never really been a fan of the Ohio State look. The red is fine but I'm kind of meh on the grey. Plus, I've never really been a fan of the stickers.

14. Maryland. Just way too much going on for my liking. I think some of the 'flag' artwork could stay in trimming, but otherwise simplify the uniform and put the Terrapin turtle mascot on the helmet.

Writing all that makes me realize how bored I am on a Saturday without football. haha

Personally I like the more traditional style of uniform. That said, I wish we would just choose what our school colors are and stick with it. We had three tones of maroon and gold in the Wacker era alone.

Top Bottom