kansas state tackle announces he's gay

Pick what you will.

The point is that people having a different lifestyle from the majority is only news when that different lifestyle is illegal. Personally, I find no reason to blink my eye at this story. Why should I care? Just as...why should anyone care if an atheist plays football at BYU...so...why care if a football player says he's gay. It's legal. Move along.

What part of it is legal? What part isn't? Some of that lifestyle hasn't been recently if say you wanted to get married. In some places if you want to adopt, etc.

Oh it's legal it's fine seems pretty dismissive of actual rights issues that have been going on.

Pick what you will.

The point is that people having a different lifestyle from the majority is only news when that different lifestyle is illegal. Personally, I find no reason to blink my eye at this story. Why should I care? Just as...why should anyone care if an atheist plays football at BYU...so...why care if a football player says he's gay. It's legal. Move along.
Good point, why did anyone care when Jackie Robinson played baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers? Can't believe that was news at the time, it was legal. Move along.

/s

Good point, why did anyone care when Jackie Robinson played baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers? Can't believe that was news at the time, it was legal. Move along.

/s
Different issues. It's comparing apples to oranges. Nice try.

It's more like comparing Fuji apples & Granny Smith apples...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No, it's like comparing a rock to a wave.
But, enough with this. You are welcome to find the story inspiring.

Legal is legal right? And it's not interesting unless it's illegal, is that not what you said?
What I said was there is nothing earth shattering about the story. One guy says he's gay. Guys have been saying they are gay for thousands of years.

If being gay were illegal, then the announcement would take on significance as a bold step. Being gay is commonplace and legal. Why do we get excited over a common announcement?

I actually see the point that I think MennoSota is trying to make. As a society we have become more accepting of homosexuals, especially true of college aged kids, so why does it have to be a big feat to be accepting of a gay football player. Personally, I don't care if someone is gay or not - whether they play football or not. I think that is what he is getting at, anyway.

On the same subject, if I was cynical, I might even doubt the sincerity of those that try to make an overly big deal yelling about how "brave" or "historic" or "earth-shattering" this is as it could smell to me like someone trying too hard to convince others how enlightened and caring they must be..... If I was cynical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More, but there is a long ways more to go.

I suspect you are right - but not as long for college aged kids today. My kids are slightly younger than that, but from what I see don't even consider it a topic at all. My point was that society is more accepting of it now than my generation was, not implying all prejudice is gone.

I suspect you are right - but not as long for college aged kids today. My kids are slightly younger than that, but from what I see don't even consider it a topic at all. My point was that society is more accepting of it now than my generation was, not implying all prejudice is gone.

Certainly college kids are, but football I think is a bit of an odd ball subset that doesn't always follow those patterns.

He is who he is, and his orientation is a non starter as far as I'm concerned. Apparently he seeks attention. id be more impressed if he got attention for his ability on the field, or if he did something charitable. Your gay, so what?

With each announcement by current and former players it is becoming less and less newsworthy. Honest question, in sports has there ever been a documented negative reaction from teammates when an announcement has been made? I feel like people want this to become a big controversial issue and it just doesn't seem like it is.

This may be stating the obvious - but:

Some people still persist in seeing gay people as defined by sex. They think if a gay man is in a locker room full of other men - who are changing clothes and showering, then that gay man must be "checking out" the other guys. They see it as equivalent to a straight man in a women's locker room.

In reality, I don't think gay people are defined by sex, or obsessed with sex, any more than straight people. It's just one aspect of your overall life. for some people it may be a more important aspect; for others a less important aspect.

I have gay friends, and I'm not worried about them hitting on me.

But, as others have said, this will hopefully become less and less of a story as time goes by. Interestingly enough, you don't hear much about it from women's sports, where there are a much higher number of "out" gay athletes. It's more of a story with men's sports - especially the more "macho" sports like football.

Top Bottom