Which Players Make The Mount Rushmore (Post 2000) For The Minnesota Golden Gophers?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per BTPowerhouse:

Minnesota’s Mount Rushmore Since 2000
Andre Hollins (2011-2015)
Andre Hollins had quite the decorated career during his time at Minnesota. As the floor general, Hollins posted double-digit scoring and averaged three or more assists in three of his four seasons at Minnesota. Hollins scoring has to be contributed to his ability get easy points at the free-throw line. The former point guard has the school record for free-throw percentage in a season, shooting 90 percent from the charity stripe during the 2011-2012 season.

Along with have a knack for getting to the free throw line, Hollins was also a major threat from beyond the arc during his career. Hollins has the second and third best seasons for the record of three-pointers made in a season, with 82 made in 2014-15 and 81 made in 2012-13. Hollins shot 41 percent from three in both of those seasons.

Besides being an excellent statistical presence for the Gophers, Hollins also provided great leadership that led to successful seasons. Under Hollins’ guidance, Minnesota made one NCAA Tournament bid and won a NIT Championship and finished runner-up in another. Hollins career accolades include two All-Big Ten honorable mentions.

Kris Humphries (2003-2004)
First off, this has nothing to do with Kris Humphries marriage with Kim Kardashian. This is strictly about Humphries unreal freshmen year during the 2003-04 season. Humphries averaged an impressive 21 points and 10 rebounds per game that earned him Big Ten Freshman of the Year.

While Humphries dominated nearly every statistical category that season, the team struggled, finishing with a 12-18 record. Even with no team success, I still think Humphries needs to be included on Minnesota’s Mount Rushmore.

The former Gophers star led the Big Ten in points, rebounds, field goals made and free-throws attempted during his one collegiate season. Minnesota fans may never that statistical season again, especially from a freshmen.

Nate Mason (2014-Present)
Is it premature to put Nate Mason on this list already? Let’s take a look at what he’s done so far at Minnesota. Mason has improved statistically every season. Mason’s improvement every season is impressive considering that his role has increased year-to-year.

Mason’s leadership and play was a huge factor on why Minnesota was able to turn the program around last season after an awful (8-23 record) 2015-16 season. Mason’s presence and team success earned him All-Big Ten First Team. The junior point guard ranked ninth in the Big Ten in scoring, fourth in assists and fifth in steals. Mason also helped lead Minnesota to their highest seed (5) ever in the NCAA Tournament.

The point guard is now entering his senior season with high expectations. Mason will have his chance this season to cement himself as one of the all-time Minnesota greats.

Trevor Mbakwe (2010-2013)
Trevor Mbakwe was an absolute force during his time at Minnesota. Mbakwe owns the third highest total of rebounds for a season in 2010-11 when he grabbed 327 boards. Mbakwe was a double-double threat throughout his Gopher career.

During his three years at Minnesota, Mbakwe averaged double-digit scoring and eight rebounds or more — including the 2010-11 season when he averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds per game. Mbakwe did most of his work around the rim, and he was efficient, posting a 58% average field goal percentage during his three years in a Gopher uniform.

Along with Hollins, Mbakwe was part of those teams that had great success in the NIT and also played a key role in the team that made the NCAA Tournament in 2012-13 season. Although the team success is not up to par with the elite Big Ten programs, the former Minnesota center was a player that helped pave the way for what Minnesota basketball has become in recently.

And now that Minnesota has experienced minor success, the program is hoping to become an elite program that is contending for Big Ten titles every year. The Gophers took a step in the right direction last season, let’s see if the team can carry on the momentum.

Honorable Mention: Rick Rickert, Vincent Grier, Austin Hollins

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/7...more-post-2000-hollins-mason-mbakwe-humphries

Go Gophers!!

The program has had 3 seasons above .500 in conference during that time, and a single NCAA tourney win. I don't think that level of "achievement" deserves anything resembling a Mount Rushmore. Perhaps a lovely plaque instead?

The program has had 3 seasons above .500 in conference during that time, and a single NCAA tourney win. I don't think that level of "achievement" deserves anything resembling a Mount Rushmore. Perhaps a lovely plaque instead?

Yeah, leave the mountain un-carved for now.

Swap in Grier and Au. Hollins for Humphries and Mason and I'd agree. I'd maybe swap in Mason for Hollins depending on how his senior year goes.

Humphries is the best NBA player from the U in a long while (sadly), but he was nothing special here. He was the only good player and a stat-stuffing ball-hog on a bad team.

It's tough not to have Grier in. While it's a debate even though Andre Hollins had more talent, too bad he was never the same after Gossner stepped on his ankle. I think Mason will leave with the better career. Humphries was a beast he has to be on there not his fault Monson lost the team and guys Hargrove and Boone underachieved

It's tough not to have Grier in. While it's a debate even though Andre Hollins had more talent, too bad he was never the same after Gossner stepped on his ankle. I think Mason will leave with the better career. Humphries was a beast he has to be on there not his fault Monson lost the team and guys Hargrove and Boone underachieved

Boone wasn't even on his team

None; you can't change the faces on the monument every 5 years

Humphries may not have been a team player but he did perform as a gopher He lead the big ten in scoring and rebounding as a freshman.

If you were transported from 1999 and saw this article/list, you could already tell that the basketball program fell to an unimaginable low. Nothing against the players that occupy that list, but none of them had the type of career's that would be worthy of a Mount Rushmore spot over a period of a more than a decade and the vast majority of power 5 schools.

If I had to choose, I'd go:

Vincent Grier: his Senior season was better than I remembered and he was THE reason for one of the rare above .500 conference seasons during this time period as a Junior.
Kris Humphries: His biggest accomplishment to me is keeping us from the embarrassment of not having a single former Gopher in the league right now.
Nate Mason: At first glance, I thought his inclusion on this list was ridiculous but I think it's the right call. He was voted first team All B1G in a now 14 team league for the best Gopher team (B1G record/finish and NCAA seeding wise) in this era.
Trevor Mbakwe: Honestly, you could flip a coin between Trevor and Rick Rickert for the last spot, unless I am forgetting someone. Rickert was drafted and was a McDonald's AA out of high school and was the better scorer, Mbakwe was the better rebounder/defender and played in the NCAA tournament.

Top Bottom