Gophers athletic director touts program's academic, athletic successes

Iceland12

Reaction score
On Wednesday, Coyle reported that the U’s 700 student athletes had their highest collective grade-point average — 3.24 — in the history of the athletics department.

“We’re very proud of how our students are doing in the classroom,” he told the board.

Coyle, who just finished his first year as athletic director, made only passing reference to the turmoil that began last fall, when a female student accused multiple Gophers football players of sexually assaulting her at a postgame party. The case rocked the campus for much of the school year and eventually resulted in disciplinary action against five students.

Coyle noted that the athletics department staff has undergone mandatory sexual harassment training and that more is planned for students this fall.

He noted, among other things, that 300 of the 700 student athletes ranked high enough to qualify as Academic All-Big Ten last year. Last semester, he added, “our football team had their highest GPA in team history,” just over 3.0.

He also cited other achievements, including the on-field success of the soccer and softball teams, which swept the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles; the volleyball and women’s hockey teams, which advanced to the NCAA semifinals; and the men’s hockey team, which won its sixth straight conference title.

Several regents, including Steven Sviggum, congratulated Coyle on his record. “ give you great credit for what you’ve done in what anybody would consider a very challenging first year,” Sviggum said.

The sex-assault scandal and its aftermath, though, clearly has left a lasting imprint. Coyle reported that the athletics department hired two industry experts, Minneapolis attorneys Kathryn Nash and Stephen Vaughan, to advise coaches and staff on “compliance and best practices” in preventing sexual assault and harassment.

It has also hired the Dan Beebe Group, a consulting firm that specializes in risk management, to evaluate its policies and educate staff.

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-coyl...013/?ref=nl&om_rid=1635722697&om_mid=49534409

Several regents, including Steven Sviggum, congratulated Coyle on his record. “(I) give you great credit for what you’ve done in what anybody would consider a very challenging first year,” Sviggum said.[/I]

If Sviggum's comment is any indication it appears that Coyle (and Kaler) aren't going to be fired for their handling of the gang bang scandal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that none of the players have sued the U for violating their due process rights? This is very surprising given that just about every lawyer in GopherHole assured us almost every day for months that the U's handling of the case was a total miscarriage of justice. Just maybe they were wrong.

If Sviggum's comment...

It has also hired the Dan Beebe Group, a consulting firm that specializes in risk management, to evaluate its policies and educate staff.

Although none of the accused football players faced criminal charges, the university conducted its own investigation and determined that 10 players had violated its sexual misconduct policy. Eventually, five of the accused were cleared on appeal, four were expelled and one was suspended for a year. The university has since hired outside attorneys to conduct an independent review of its handling of the case.

Although none of the accused football players faced criminal charges, the university conducted its own investigation and determined that 10 players had violated its sexual misconduct policy. Eventually, five of the accused were cleared on appeal, four were expelled and one was suspended for a year. The university has since hired outside attorneys to conduct an independent review of its handling of the case.

+1

Coyle hasn't been on the job long enough to start patting himself on the back. When Teague left there was a lot of anxiety coming out of the department and if anything Kill, Pittino, and Goetz should be getting the nod first in regards to academics. Coyle is a continuation of that not some new addition that changed it. It was already in good shape when he got in.

Coyle wasn't patting himself on the back. He was providing a mandated report to the University of Minnesota Board of Regents about the state of the Athletic Dept of which he is the director. When Regents complimented him, he quickly passed the credit to the students, coaches, and dept staff.

I recommend we do our best to refrain from forming fast judgments in response to news stories such as the one referenced in this thread. (This is true in the broader context as well as for our beloved University.) In an attempt to sound less patronizing, I'll admit that I am as guilty an anyone.

If you are very interested in the Athletic Director's annual report to the Regents, you can view it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iID5iM19dXk. The Athletics report begins around the 2:04 mark. The paper report is included at https://regents.umn.edu/sites/regents.umn.edu/files/docket/JUL_2017_BOR_Docket.pdf starting on page 162.

They should also hire an image/PR consultant for Mark Coyle and others.

MC needs to be more visible in the general public than where he is currently, and not just when a crisis occurs which brings negativity to the whole program.

If Sviggum's comment is any indication it appears that Coyle (and Kaler) aren't going to be fired for their handling of the gang bang scandal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that none of the players have sued the U for violating their due process rights? This is very surprising given that just about every lawyer in GopherHole assured us almost every day for months that the U's handling of the case was a total miscarriage of justice. Just maybe they we were wrong.

So if Coyle isn't fired, that means he handled the situation was well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of Coyle so far but as far as touting the program or progress, that's kinda his job, even if I disagree with some things.... Coyle out on the trail doing positive PR is a good thing.

MC needs to be more visible in the general public than where he is currently, and not just when a crisis occurs which brings negativity to the whole program.

You mean something like going on a tour of the state with all the coaches and other admin staff to meet the fans? And while on that tour, walk around and talk to as many people as possible the entire time? Oh wait, he already did that.

What about maybe being visible at men's basketball games and talking to people in the concourses, and talking to donors in the big ticket seats and the club room. Oh wait, he already does that too?

What about going around the tailgate lots at football games and chatting with all the diehards who spend money on season tickets and tailgate spots and dedicate their Saturday's to Gopher sports? Oh crap, he does that too.

These are just three examples that I have personally witnessed as someone who lives out of town, went to most football games, 3 basketball games, and 1 Gopher Road Trip event.

Not sure what you want. Do you want him to come to your front door and introduce himself?

They should also hire an image/PR consultant for Mark Coyle and others.

MC needs to be more visible in the general public than where he is currently, and not just when a preventable crisis occurs which brings negativity to the whole program.

Fixed it.

So if Coyle isn't fired, that means he handled the situation was well?

Ya, maybe as well as it could have been handled given the circumstances. There was a lot of pressure from all sorts of folks with different agendas. A bit of it he brought on himself, but that was a hell of a minefield he negotiated. Ever since then I can't fault him for any of the things he's done. Course I doubt I'm going to convince anyone who called the boycott a "success" after obsessively posting about the whole sorry affair that Mark Coyle is doing a nice job as AD.

Ya, <b>maybe as well as it could have been handled given the circumstances. </b>There was a lot of pressure from all sorts of folks with different agendas. A bit of it he brought on himself, but that was a hell of a minefield he negotiated. Ever since then I can't fault him for any of the things he's done. Course I doubt I'm going to convince anyone who called the boycott a "success" after obsessively posting about the whole sorry affair that Mark Coyle is doing a nice job as AD.

I'm thinking you should expect more from a leader in his position.

Do you want him to come to your front door and introduce himself?

You didn't ask me, but the idea of MC showing up at my door makes me laugh. He might see all the Gopher promotion I have there and expect quite a different response than he would get when I see him at the front door.

No matter what happens in life whether it be an awesome thing that is very positive for everyone, or something very minor that shouldn't be a big deal to talk about, its amazing how bent out of shape people get. Coyle has made some mistakes, but do you drag him through the gutter every time his name gets mentioned? We don't know what happened behind the scenes? Where are all the lawsuits attacking him like people said they were going to do?

No doubt some people have shallow lives. Good grief.

No matter what happens in life whether it be an awesome thing that is very positive for everyone, or something very minor that shouldn't be a big deal to talk about, its amazing how bent out of shape people get. Coyle has made some mistakes, but do you drag him through the gutter every time his name gets mentioned? We don't know what happened behind the scenes? Where are all the lawsuits attacking him like people said they were going to do?

No doubt some people have shallow lives. Good grief.

Your post sounds like you are making a big deal out of something you consider minor. Eye of the beholder. Interesting.

Your post sounds like you are making a big deal out of something you consider minor. Eye of the beholder. Interesting.

I'm referring to the constant whining and complaining about everything that takes place. Really not interesting...but sad.

I'm referring to the constant whining and complaining about everything that takes place. Really not interesting...but sad.

Your opinion. As I said, eye of the beholder. This is a forum for folks to express a variety of sometimes widely differing opinions to spur discussion, which you are clearly engaged in...so if you think it's sad, just move on.

I really don't like it when folks complain about others complaining on here. Not one little bit.

Your opinion. As I said, eye of the beholder. This is a forum for folks to express a variety of sometimes widely differing opinions to spur discussion, which you are clearly engaged in...so if you think it's sad, just move on.

No opinions or predictions are more hilarious and wrong than yours. Especially when you repeat them over and over. Still waiting for Kaler and Coyle to lose their jobs this summer as you repeated would happen over and over. Just like the BoR were going to fire them back in December and save Claeys job.

In a weird way, Coyle has set the bar so low for his own performance, that if he doesn't trip over his own feet and fall flat on his face, people are going to give him good marks.

Coyle could very well turn out to be a very competent AD. But, even his biggest fans (I think) would not try to claim that he is a wonderfully articulate and captivating public speaker. He is what he is. Most likely a competent administrator behind the scenes - but he is not a "frontman." He is not going to be the type of AD who is out front as a spokesman for the program. He seems content to stay somewhat off to the side and let his coaches take the lead role in communicating with the public. That is fine for each respective sport. But, there are times when the AD does have to speak for the program - to give that overview that only the AD can give.

If that is the type of AD that Kaler wants, fine. that's what he's got. Possibly a reaction to Tega Tongue. I will predict right now that the U does not have to worry about Coyle getting hammered and harassing women.

My only concern is with fund-raising. Can Coyle be the type of glad-hander and schmoozer that you need sometimes to close the deal with a big donor? Maybe he can pull that off in private - but I have not seen any demonstration of those type of abilities in public.

No opinions or predictions are more hilarious and wrong than yours. Especially when you repeat them over and over. Still waiting for Kaler and Coyle to lose their jobs this summer as you repeated would happen over and over. Just like the BoR were going to fire them back in December and save Claeys job.

Waiting for you to lose your job. Maybe you already did and that's why you want someone else to lose theirs.

My only concern is with fund-raising. Can Coyle be the type of glad-hander and schmoozer that you need sometimes to close the deal with a big donor? Maybe he can pull that off in private - but I have not seen any demonstration of those type of abilities in public.

Mark Coyle's fundraising abilities should be the least of your worries about him. Coyle has a very good reputation as a fund raiser. The 3M Mariucci arena deal happened on Coyle's watch. He gets a large amount of the credit. The big donors are going to love him because he is the kind of person who shines in one-on-one interactions with people. I believe Coyle will be the best intercollegiate athletics fundraiser that the U has ever had. I also believe he will be the best AD the U has had in my lifetime.

6 reasons why Syracuse hit the nail on the head hiring Mark Coyle from Boise State as AD

No. 3 - Fundraising

Love or hate Daryl Gross, the man understood that the primary function of an athletic director in college sports in 2015 was mastering the role of "head fundraiser."

Coyle has certainly been down this road before with great success.

It didn't take long for Syverud to recognize that in the statement put out by Syracuse on Friday detailing Coyle's hire.

"Mark has an outstanding record as a director of athletics and is known throughout the country for his professional accomplishments," says Chancellor Syverud. "His strong academic values and commitment to the welfare of student-athletes, combined with his record of achievement in fundraising, make him the right person to lead Syracuse University Athletics forward at this important time for the University."

At Boise State he helped raise over $40 million, including implementing the "Priority Point System" for the Bronco Athletic Association.

He also negotiated a marketing rights agreement with Learfield Sports valued at over $42 million in revenue while at Boise State.

Coyle ran the day-to-day operations of a 22-sport athletic department at Kentucky with an $83 million budget to manage. He also helped fundraising levels reach a record $140 million in annual donations and capital pledges while at Kentucky.

Handling the demands of fundraising at Syracuse will not be an issue for Coyle.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde..._hires_mark_coyle_from_boise_state_as_ad.html

Mark Coyle's fundraising abilities should be the least of your worries about him. Coyle has a very good reputation as a fund raiser. The 3M Mariucci arena deal happened on Coyle's watch. He gets a large amount of the credit. I believe Coyle will be the best intercollegiate athletics fundraiser that the U has ever had. I also believe he will be the best AD the U has had in my lifetime.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tL9JgMt4okM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thank Mrs. Coyle. He's awesome. Until you need a leader, not a manager.

The Gopher football team needed a head coach who was a leader last season. They didn't have one. Claeys wasn't in control of his team on or off the football field. When Claeys had the opportunity to exercise leadership of his team he was missing in action. Glenn Mason himself said on Barreiro's radio show that he would have told every player on the team they were done playing football for the Gopher's if they participated in the boycott. Claeys not only didn't do that, he publicly supported the boycott. Any college coach with strong leadership skills would have been able to deal with the situation without leaving it for the AD, university president, or Board of Regents to clean up the mess. Claeys is done as a Division I head coach. There is no AD in the country who will hire him after the boycott fiasco.

The Gopher football team needed a head coach who was a leader last season. They didn't have one. Claeys wasn't in control of his team on or off the football field. When Claeys had the opportunity to exercise leadership of his team he was missing in action. Glenn Mason himself said on Barreiro's radio show that he would have told every player on the team they were done playing football for the Gopher's if they participated in the boycott. Claeys not only didn't do that, he publicly supported the boycott. Any college coach with strong leadership skills would have been able to deal with the situation without leaving it for the AD, university president, or Board of Regents to clean up the mess. Claeys is done as a Division I head coach. There is no AD in the country who will hire him after the boycott fiasco.

Thanks again Mrs. Coyle. Exactly what Claeys failures as a coach have to do with your husbands complete and total failure as a leader, I'm not sure. And totally agree with you that Claeys dug his grave and will pay for his actions for the rest of his life, but again, unless Claeys failures were like kryptonite and prevented your husband from doing his job, the failure of Claeys does not excuse the failure of your husband.

Top Bottom