Gophers athletic director touts program's academic, athletic successes

The Gopher football team needed a head coach who was a leader last season. They didn't have one. Claeys wasn't in control of his team on or off the football field. When Claeys had the opportunity to exercise leadership of his team he was missing in action. Glenn Mason himself said on Barreiro's radio show that he would have told every player on the team they were done playing football for the Gopher's if they participated in the boycott. Claeys not only didn't do that, he publicly supported the boycott. Any college coach with strong leadership skills would have been able to deal with the situation without leaving it for the AD, university president, or Board of Regents to clean up the mess. Claeys is done as a Division I head coach. There is no AD in the country who will hire him after the boycott fiasco.

I don't buy into your characterization of the situation... but even your characterization doesn't make Coyle look very good.

Mark Coyle's fundraising abilities should be the least of your worries about him. Coyle has a very good reputation as a fund raiser. The 3M Mariucci arena deal happened on Coyle's watch. He gets a large amount of the credit. The big donors are going to love him because he is the kind of person who shines in one-on-one interactions with people. I believe Coyle will be the best intercollegiate athletics fundraiser that the U has ever had. I also believe he will be the best AD the U has had in my lifetime.

6 reasons why Syracuse hit the nail on the head hiring Mark Coyle from Boise State as AD

No. 3 - Fundraising

Love or hate Daryl Gross, the man understood that the primary function of an athletic director in college sports in 2015 was mastering the role of "head fundraiser."

Coyle has certainly been down this road before with great success.

It didn't take long for Syverud to recognize that in the statement put out by Syracuse on Friday detailing Coyle's hire.

"Mark has an outstanding record as a director of athletics and is known throughout the country for his professional accomplishments," says Chancellor Syverud. "His strong academic values and commitment to the welfare of student-athletes, combined with his record of achievement in fundraising, make him the right person to lead Syracuse University Athletics forward at this important time for the University."....

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde..._hires_mark_coyle_from_boise_state_as_ad.html

And yet he dumped Syracuse not even a year into his contract. Odds are he unofficially dumped them just weeks into 2017.

Fired U wrestling coach Robinson: 'Nobody was interested in the facts' - Strib

A year removed from coaching has not diminished Robinson’s frustration and disappointment over the way his Hall of Fame career ended.

He envisioned a grand farewell befitting a three-time national champion. Instead, his messy departure stained his legacy.

New athletic director Mark Coyle fired Robinson for his handling of an alleged drug ring involving a group of his wrestlers. Coyle cited a lack of cooperation by Robinson with his superiors in dealing with the issue. Robinson vehemently disagrees with that notion, saying he followed proper university protocol and blames school leaders for not adhering to their own policies.

“Everybody is only interested in the sensationalism of the whole thing,” he said. “Nobody was interested in the facts.”..

Robinson says he’s the only person who knows all the facts but declined to share them in our conversation. He said he was instructed to present his side to a university review board but was never given that opportunity. The university disputes the notion that he wasn’t given a chance to tell his side.

Robinson said he recently lobbied to get his job back during a grievance hearing with a three-person university panel. He knows the odds of that happening are less than zero.

Asked if he has any regrets, Robinson said, “It’s disappointing when you work for people for 30 years and nobody comes to help you.”

Robinson irritated university officials over the years with his willingness to speak his mind on issues, a former Army Ranger unafraid to challenge authority. He gave a revealing and classic J Robinson answer when asked about his legacy.

He referenced the accusation that he took matters into his own hands when faced with a serious drug situation inside his program because he wanted to “protect” his players. He said it’s unfair to ask if he would handle the same situation differently because hindsight provides a clear picture.

“Everybody wants to be judgmental about it,” he said. “But the bottom line is, if it’s your son or daughter, you’d tell the person what you want them to do. You know what most people will say? ‘I want you to take care of them, Coach. Help restore and repair them because I’m trusting you with the most precious thing I can give you, my son or daughter.’ ” …

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...er-messy-departure-from-university/434521513/

Coyle haters are funny. Incredibly stupid, but funny.

Coyle haters are funny. Incredibly stupid, but funny.

J Robinson, much like yourself, just isn't that funny. First time I've ever heard him called stupid though.

I'll take Mark Coyle's word over J Robinson's every time.

I think this tells us a lot about your ability to judge people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take Mark Coyle's word over J Robinson's every time.

Mark's word, much like Holtz, Mason, Kill, and heck in this story probably Robinson's, is pretty transitory.

Mark Coyle's abrupt departure from Syracuse to Minnesota has bad whiff to it

Syracuse, N.Y. — The prudent response to this morning's surprising news from up there on the Hill would be for all of us to accept the notion that, yes, Mark Coyle has so abruptly left the job he took just 101/2 months ago for "family reasons."

But the number of folks who actually believe he has split from Syracuse University because of that — and not because of the five-year, $4.25-million contract he has signed with the University of Minnesota — could comfortably fit in the back seat of the car that Coyle will soon be driving out of town.

He's gone. Gone from his position as the athletic director at SU. Gone after having been imported from Boise State only last June. Gone after getting a small taste of Central New York and heading back to his Midwest roots for a similar position in Minneapolis.

Gone … and leaving an aroma in his wake.

Again, if we dismiss the silly idea that the best way to handle a family situation is to take another job in a different time zone — and that was the way to bet even before we learned the financial details of Coyle's newest deal — Mark's sudden departure appears to speak poorly about someone or some thing.

The "someone" would be Coyle, who happily told stories about how his admiration for Syracuse was such that he'd worn Dwayne Washington-styled sneakers as an Iowa-raised teenager in homage to the Pearl … and yet has vanished for a big-city job in a conference, the Big Ten, with more gravitas. Oh, and for that heftier paycheck.

The "some thing" would be SU, which may have discouraged its AD with some kind of behind-the-scenes policy revelations related to budget matters, the Carrier Dome's future and/or other matters … and this, only a blink or two after having introduced Coyle amid the requite pomp and circumstance as the successor to Daryl Gross.

Either way, there's a whiff blowing our way, and it's smelling not at all like a fistful of posies.

So, now what?

Is Dino Babers, the new Orange football coach who didn't know of Coyle's defection until told of it this afternoon by reporters, soon to be headed out the door, himself? What happens to all those staffers, so many from Idaho, brought on by Coyle? Who will ultimately replace Coyle atop SU's athletic throne and what will be his or her relationship with the school's Board of Trustees?

Right now, there are many questions. Right now, there are few answers. But we do know this much: Mark Coyle, who might not ever have unpacked, is gone. And, that's right, we hardly got to know him.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...yracuse_to_minnesota_has_bad_whiff_to_it.html

I think this tells us a lot about your ability to judge people.

Just so we're clear, what exactly is a fireable offense to you? We know that a head coach backing players who gang banged a drunk woman shouldn't be enough to get someone fired. A coach hiding the fact from his bosses that his team is running a drug ring isn't enough either. Just curious, in your world, what gets someone fired?

Mark's word, much like Holtz, Mason, Kill, and heck in this story probably Robinson's, is pretty transitory.

Mark Coyle's abrupt departure from Syracuse to Minnesota has bad whiff to it

Syracuse, N.Y. — The prudent response to this morning's surprising news from up there on the Hill would be for all of us to accept the notion that, yes, Mark Coyle has so abruptly left the job he took just 101/2 months ago for "family reasons."

But the number of folks who actually believe he has split from Syracuse University because of that — and not because of the five-year, $4.25-million contract he has signed with the University of Minnesota — could comfortably fit in the back seat of the car that Coyle will soon be driving out of town.

He's gone. Gone from his position as the athletic director at SU. Gone after having been imported from Boise State only last June. Gone after getting a small taste of Central New York and heading back to his Midwest roots for a similar position in Minneapolis.

Gone … and leaving an aroma in his wake.

Again, if we dismiss the silly idea that the best way to handle a family situation is to take another job in a different time zone — and that was the way to bet even before we learned the financial details of Coyle's newest deal — Mark's sudden departure appears to speak poorly about someone or some thing.

The "someone" would be Coyle, who happily told stories about how his admiration for Syracuse was such that he'd worn Dwayne Washington-styled sneakers as an Iowa-raised teenager in homage to the Pearl … and yet has vanished for a big-city job in a conference, the Big Ten, with more gravitas. Oh, and for that heftier paycheck.

The "some thing" would be SU, which may have discouraged its AD with some kind of behind-the-scenes policy revelations related to budget matters, the Carrier Dome's future and/or other matters … and this, only a blink or two after having introduced Coyle amid the requite pomp and circumstance as the successor to Daryl Gross.

Either way, there's a whiff blowing our way, and it's smelling not at all like a fistful of posies.

So, now what?

Is Dino Babers, the new Orange football coach who didn't know of Coyle's defection until told of it this afternoon by reporters, soon to be headed out the door, himself? What happens to all those staffers, so many from Idaho, brought on by Coyle? Who will ultimately replace Coyle atop SU's athletic throne and what will be his or her relationship with the school's Board of Trustees?

Right now, there are many questions. Right now, there are few answers. But we do know this much: Mark Coyle, who might not ever have unpacked, is gone. And, that's right, we hardly got to know him.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...yracuse_to_minnesota_has_bad_whiff_to_it.html

You're surprised that Syracuse people are bitter over Coyle leaving after only one year? Wow, you're desperate.

I'm shocked to read that people in Syracuse don't like Mark Coyle! Shocked I tell you! Keep trying your best to make Coyle look bad. The fact is he has a great reputation, whether you want to believe it or not.

Just so we're clear, what exactly is a fireable offense to you? We know that a head coach backing players who gang banged a drunk woman shouldn't be enough to get someone fired. A coach hiding the fact from his bosses that his team is running a drug ring isn't enough either. Just curious, in your world, what gets someone fired?

J Robinson should have been fired. Never said he shouldn't have. Said he should have been the day facts came out. That is independent of your crazy view of Mark Coyle being honest or upstanding in any way. He is a snake - plain as day to see.

You're surprised that Syracuse people are bitter over Coyle leaving after only one year? Wow, you're desperate.

I'm shocked to read that people in Syracuse don't like Mark Coyle! Shocked I tell you! Keep trying your best to make Coyle look bad. The fact is he has a great reputation, whether you want to believe it or not.

Not surprised that in response to your salivating over Mr.Coyle's slippery "honesty," you can't get a grip on what an illusion it is. But ah hell, you'll be dumping on him as soon as he leaves. Kind of your M.O. right? :D

Oh and to be clear it was Mrs. Coyle who brought Syracuse into the discussion. Something that troll Cruze, didn't see the irony in at all.

So far and overall Coyle has done a good job. To pretend his nobility in doing that takes a special kind of sycophant or as you put it "stupid".

Happy now?

So, either both TC and JR are lying about what MC did/said or MC is the one lying. One has a track record already of being dishonest - the other 2 don't.

Ok 100% serious question and those of you who answer don't get you undies all in a bunch about it I'm just trying to understand. Coyle hasn't been here that long and after Teague anyone looks outstanding. I like the PJF hire, don't like the way he handled Claeys. I think Robinson was handled about as good as it could be. Everything else seems to be SOP within his role as AD. Not sure in what he's getting done for funding on athletes village, sounds like he got the 3M naming rights?

For those of you defending him tooth and nail what makes him so great? You have to admit if you were Syracuse or the folks he hired and brought in that left their other jobs that you reallyarelooking out for number one and that could have burned some bridges (how could it not?). Just wondering out loud about the love fest for him. By all accounts he looks competent but I don't think he's been on the job long enough to say he's better than Maturi (and I didn't care for him all that much).

The Gopher football team needed a head coach who was a leader last season. They didn't have one. Claeys wasn't in control of his team on or off the football field. When Claeys had the opportunity to exercise leadership of his team he was missing in action. Glenn Mason himself said on Barreiro's radio show that he would have told every player on the team they were done playing football for the Gopher's if they participated in the boycott. Claeys not only didn't do that, he publicly supported the boycott. Any college coach with strong leadership skills would have been able to deal with the situation without leaving it for the AD, university president, or Board of Regents to clean up the mess. Claeys is done as a Division I head coach. There is no AD in the country who will hire him after the boycott fiasco.

The AD and Prez made the situation markedly worse. It was two BoR members who spent the time needed to hear out the players and get things moving forward and resolved.

Top Bottom