Orlando Sentinel: College football rankings: Minnesota Golden Gophers #44

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Orlando Sentinel:

Strengths: Rodney Smith is one of six tailbacks in the Big Ten returning this season after rushing for at least 1,000 yards in 2016. Smith finished with career highs in attempts (240), rushing yards (1,158) and rushing touchdowns (16). While Smith will get the majority of the carries in 2017, he’ll share the duties with fellow junior Shannon Brooks (650 yards).

The Gophers pair a strong rushing attack with a formidable offensive line, which returns four starters but must deal with the loss of longtime center Tyler Moore. The group allowed just 17 sacks in 2016 — the second lowest amount in the Big Ten — and the lowest total for the program since 2010.

Minnesota featured the best kicking game in the conference with the team connecting on nearly 92 percent of its field goals last season. K Emmit Carpenter, a first team All-Big Ten selection, hit 22 of 24 kicks, including a season-long 53-yarder.

Weaknesses: The majority of the starters on offense are back in 2017 except at the quarterback position, where Fleck and his staff will have to find a replacement for Mitch Leidner. Senior Conor Rhoda saw limited playing time as Leidner’s backup last season (23 total plays) and was reportedly considering transferring before the coaching change. Redshirt sophomore Demry Croft was impressive in spring and could slide into the starting role ahead of Rhoda with a strong summer. Whoever wins the job will work with new offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca. He helped direct Western Michigan’s offense, which was the top scoring offense in the Mid-American Conference in 2016.

The Golden Gophers made huge strides on the defensive side of the football last season, ranking No. 14 in the nation in rushing defense. Much of that success, however, was due to strong defensive line and linebackers units, which suffered mass defections in the offseason. LB Jonathan Celestin (80) is the top returning tackler on the team, with DB Duke McGhee back to lead the secondary.

Outlook: Fleck worked miracles at Western Michigan, getting the Broncos and their fans to buy into his “Row the Boat” mantra as they pushed for success. However, it took some time to win big, with the team claiming just one victory during his first season. Luckily for Fleck, Minnesota returns a lot of talent, especially on the offensive side of the football, and features depth at several spots on the defense. A fast start will help determine the Gophers’ postseason fate.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...e-football-rankings-minnesota-0712-story.html

Go Gophers!!

Who were our "mass defections" from the defensive line and linebackers? I count one. Unless they consider graduation a defection.

It's just journalism. Words don't matter.

And Rodney Smith will get "the majority of the carries" because.............we said so?

Now, I will not be shocked if Smith does wind up with more carries by the end of the year, but I still think it will be a fairly even divide between Smith and Brooks - maybe a 60/40 split or 55/45.

In 2015 I think few would argue that Smith was better than Brooks. Brooks had all the hype the summer of 2016 then he breaks his foot. He misses the first two games and clearly isn't 100 percent for most of the year. Meanwhile Smith was noticeably better last season than 2015. He seemed to be more physical and broke some longer runs. Now Smith is getting the hype and the trip to Chicago over Brooks which will motivate The Kidd even more. Based on his burst in his brief spring game appearance I am very excited to see him run again this season. It will be fun to watch these two compete.

They can both catch the ball. If both stay healthy I can easily see carries being close to equal and I hope we see them more involved in the passing game.

And Rodney Smith will get "the majority of the carries" because.............we said so?

Now, I will not be shocked if Smith does wind up with more carries by the end of the year, but I still think it will be a fairly even divide between Smith and Brooks - maybe a 60/40 split or 55/45.

I think you are in agreement...majority really only means more than half of a total.

Top Bottom