Athlon: Selecting the BT's top assistant coach hires for 2017 (Kirk Ciarrocca, OC MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Big Ten's Top Coordinator Hires for 2017

Kirk Ciarrocca, Offensive Coordinator, Minnesota
New coach P.J. Fleck is handing the controls of Minnesota’s offense to Ciarrocca after the two worked together at Western Michigan from 2013-16. After the Broncos averaged 17.2 points a game in 2013, the offense showed marked improvement over the next three seasons. Western Michigan’s scoring average climbed to 33.8 in 2014, 36.0 in 2015 and 41.6 in 2016. Additionally, the Broncos finished first or second in the MAC in yards per play in three consecutive years (2014-16). Ciarrocca’s 2016 unit was one of the most-balanced attacks in the nation, as Western Michigan posted 3,204 yards on the ground and 3,533 through the air. Ciarrocca also worked as an assistant at Princeton, Penn, Delaware and Richmond, along with a three-year stint as Rutgers’ offensive coordinator from 2008-10.

Jerry Kill, Offensive Coordinator, Rutgers
Kill is back on the sidelines since stepping down as Minnesota’s head coach during the 2015 season due to health reasons. Kill’s arrival is a boost for a Rutgers offense that managed only 9.6 points per game in Big Ten action and was held without a point in four contests. The Kansas native hasn’t worked in the offensive coordinator role since 1993 at Pittsburg State, but he was a successful head coach at five different stops – Saginaw Valley State, Emporia State, Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois and Minnesota – since that season. In addition to his play-calling duties and work with quarterbacks, Kill’s experience and veteran leadership should be a valuable asset to second-year coach Chris Ash.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-tens-top-coordinator-hires-2017

Go Gophers!!

I'd have thought Ed Warriner would've been a slam dunk easy choice for us.

They don't mention Warriner .... and Kirk just comes with PJ so not sure that is so much a separate pickup.

And Kill's offenses ....

It will be interesting to see what Kill does as OC. Does he follow the Limey pattern of run-heavy, or does he have some ideas of his own that - for whatever reason - we never saw on the field at the U of MN? And, how much input/direction will he take - or accept - from the head coach?

Lot different being the #2 guy after you're used to being #1.

Mixed feelings about this issue of Athlon. I think that they called the Claeys hire a "bust." He did get fired for mishandling ("tone deaf" as they called it) the issue with the cheerleader in the apartment and its aftermath and obviously got fired. So in the sense the hire was a bust. But my god, the guy went 9-4. I have been watching this team since 1972 and the last couple of years is the first time I have seen the Gophers defense play well, including making 1/2 time adjustments that were effective. I know that he's gone and I am moving on, but to call the hire of a guy who goes 9-4 a bust doesn't work with me. I lost some respect of Athlon's work. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom