Shama: Football ticket renewal increases, overall ticket sales are down yr over yr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Based on figures provided by the Gophers athletic department late last month, the renewal percentage for public football season ticket accounts was up from 2016, but the total number of tickets sold was down by about 1,000.

For the upcoming 2017 seven-game home schedule, 87.7 percent of public season ticket accounts had renewed as of June 22, compared with 79.3 percent on that date in 2016. The Gophers reported a total of 6,518 accounts and 22,462 season tickets, compared with 6,898 accounts and 23,494 tickets in 2016.

The improved renewal percentage is almost certainly impacted by the applauded decision last year by new athletic director Mark Coyle to eliminate a scheduled 2017 price increase on tickets referred to as “scholarship seating.” Prior implementation of extra pricing on tickets had annoyed a lot of buyers.

While fans aren’t storming box offices for Gophers football tickets, the hiring of new coach P.J. Fleck probably slowed the apathy toward the product that was visible in 2016. The Gophers averaged 43,814 for seven home games. That was the lowest average since TCF Bank Stadium opened in 2009.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

85,000 seats three years from now! That is going to be sweet!

Not too uprising. PJ is exciting and all but anyone who was already out, I didn't imagine they'd opt back in just yet. Like the 14 to 15 years with Ws there is a lag.

It's early. It will be interesting to see if U ramps up marketing campaign around the first part of August. They need to get off their ass and reach out to the general public.

PJ Fleck needs to come through on his promise that "We will get people coming to games that don't even like football."
It sounds good but we need to see it happen.

PJ Fleck needs to come through on his promise that "We will get people coming to games that don't even like football."

In fairness even Brewster did that... at times during the South Dakota games I wondered if I liked football anymore... but I was there.

I'll summarize.... We lost more existing STHers and didn't pick up enough new ones to offset it. Total sales down over last year. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe but

If he couldn't fill seats in 30,000 seat stadium at WMU, where there are far less choices for time and money, why will he make it happen here? However, I understand it is even less likely to happen without PJ climbing on his soapbox non stop. My problem with PJ so far is that he says lots of things in both directions (whoa is me, fixing culture & academics, sacrificing to come etc) that aren't true or at the very least have a sliver of truth all the way to needing to expand the stadium and the reality is after his hiring we have less season tickets sold.

Can this really be correct?

If Fleck shows he can coach, he will be the second coming of college football Hall of Fame dynamo and Mr. Marketer Lou Holtz. When Holtz was at Minnesota in the mid-1980s he arrived as a proven winner and a big name in the coaching business. The state accepted Holtz and his hype from day one. Within two years he had season ticket sales at 56,000.

Thus far it seems IMO Fleck has fired up the diehards but the bandwagon fans and casual fans are either in wait and see mode or they are simply still ****ed off about mega tongue's price hike. I'm sure there area few fans that ponied up for Vikes tickets and don't have the cash flow or desire to buy gopher tickets.

As I've said all along if the team wins, particularly if they run the table early, knock off Iowa...hype will be at a fever pitch for the latter third of the season. Beat the Badgers and they won't be able to keep up with season ticket sales.

If Fleck shows he can coach, he will be the second coming of college football Hall of Fame dynamo and Mr. Marketer Lou Holtz. When Holtz was at Minnesota in the mid-1980s he arrived as a proven winner and a big name in the coaching business. The state accepted Holtz and his hype from day one. Within two years he had season ticket sales at 56,000.

<b>Thus far it seems IMO Fleck has fired up the diehards but the bandwagon fans and casual fans are either in wait and see mode or they are simply still ****ed off about mega tongue's price hike. </b>I'm sure there area few fans that ponied up for Vikes tickets and don't have the cash flow or desire to buy gopher tickets.

As I've said all along if the team wins, particularly if they run the table early, knock off Iowa...hype will be at a fever pitch for the latter third of the season. Beat the Badgers and they won't be able to keep up with season ticket sales.

PJF has not fired up many other than some of the diehards. I know a number of bandwagon and casual fans (as I am sure we all do), and the eye-rolling, joking, etc. is in full force when it comes to PJF. Some on here have said "at least they are talking about Gopher FB", but it isn't with anticipation/excitement and ticket sales are showing that talking isn't doing anything worthwhile.

Some want to believe that it is only folks who want PJ to fail that aren't buying into every word, but that isn't true. Most casual fans aren't. Even many diehards are skeptical, but I can't turn this thread into that discussion or it will be removed.

Thus far it seems IMO Fleck has fired up the diehards but the bandwagon fans and casual fans are either in wait and see mode or they are simply still ****ed off about mega tongue's price hike. I'm sure there area few fans that ponied up for Vikes tickets and don't have the cash flow or desire to buy gopher tickets.

Dead nuts accurate PE. Still would like to see a kick ass marketing program. They've come out with the "3 pack" deal which I thought was a good start. They need to do something on the non
Conference portion starting with Buffalo.

Also, shocking to learn that the Owner at Subway on campus agreeing to have an oar hung at his store was maybe <I>not</I> an indication of unbridled public excitement for the upcoming season. I was given the impression by a certain poster that was a sign we would be turning fans away at the gate.

Shouldn't we wait until the first game when season ticket sales are finals until the "I told ya sos' " come out?

Build it.... I mean WIN and they will come.... THAT and energize the huge on campus student population.

Dead nuts accurate PE. Still would like to see a kick ass marketing program. They've come out with the "3 pack" deal which I thought was a good start. They need to do something on the non
Conference portion starting with Buffalo.

This! Buffalo should be a near or total sellout!!! If they get within a thousand or two offer 5 or 10 dollar tickets. Beats a blank.

It's possible that they'll sell a few more season tickets before Labor Day, but the push for season ticket sales is over. They moved on to three-packs a while a go and start single game sales today. We are where we are.

Are we though? If his numbers are correct the ticket office sold more than 600 season tickets after the first two home games last year. I wasnt aware that was a thing.

Are we though? If his numbers are correct the ticket office sold more than 600 season tickets after the first two home games last year. I wasnt aware that was a thing.

I think they'll sell you season tickets at almost anytime. What is available just changes a bit depending on what they can sales, seat adjustment period, and etc.

I suppose we can debate what a season ticket is. If there are a few games you don't want to attend and buy tickets after 25% of the games have been played, are they season tickets? They'll take the money, but part of the point of season tickets is to fill the stadium for the less attractive games.

If you fired a damn good coach who won 9 games under the premise that the new guy was going to be a ticket-selling juggernaut who's going to infuse excitement into the program and pack the stands, it doesn't look very good for ticket sales to remain basically unchanged.

If you fired a damn good coach who won 9 games under the premise that the new guy was going to be a ticket-selling juggernaut who's going to infuse excitement into the program and pack the stands, it doesn't look very good for ticket sales to remain basically unchanged.

I liked TC, but I'm not sure fans were super pumped after last year, nor was TC any kind of a draw.

I mean, Gopher football tickets are stupid expensive for how little success they have had, if they want people to go to the games, maybe they should stop gouging them.
I pay almost double what my Wisconsin friends pay for equivalent seats, and we haven't beaten them since I was in 6th grade.

I mean, Gopher football tickets are stupid expensive for how little success they have had, if they want people to go to the games, maybe they should stop gouging them.
I pay almost double what my Wisconsin friends pay for equivalent seats, and we haven't beaten them since I was in 6th grade.

Where are you seats?

I think they fired the coach based on several different factors. I think they really believe that Fleck can achieve more here in the long run and Claeys signed his own pink slip with how he handled the boycott.

I think they fired the coach based on several different factors. I think they really believe that Fleck can achieve more here in the long run and Claeys signed his own pink slip with how he handled the boycott.

They sure did. And Coyle specifically mentioned ticket sales in the press conference as a reason they chose to move on. Maybe it'll get better, but the immediate returns are negligible.

They sure did. And Coyle specifically mentioned ticket sales in the press conference as a reason they chose to move on. Maybe it'll get better, but the immediate returns are negligible.
Comparing anything before a coach even steps foot on the field is meaningless, coaching hires aren't made for year 1 results. All things being equal, Fleck will sell more tickets than Claeys would have because he's a better person to market.

Top Bottom