3M and U of M Reach $11.2 Million Naming Rights Deal for Mariucci Arena

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota has reached a 14-year, $11.2 million naming rights deal with 3M for Mariucci Arena. Despite this agreement, the arena will keep the historic Mariucci name, but will be known as 3M Arena at Mariucci.

"This sponsorship will have a broad impact across our athletics department by supporting construction of our new Athletes Village. By partnering with us, 3M is investing in every current and future Gopher student-athlete, the future leaders of our state," Athletic Director Mark Coyle said in a press release. "3M will be a big reason why each of those young men and women have a first-class experience at Minnesota that prepares them for the rest of their lives.”

Mariucci Arena was named after Gophers legend John Mariucci when the team played in Williams Arena. The name was eventually transferred to the current hockey arena in 1993.

"Our father and grandfather was a life-long Minnesotan, and would have been thrilled to see 3M showing so much support for the University and for men's hockey,” John Mariucci Jr. said in a press release.

Minnesota will play its first game under the new name Oct. 1 during an exhibition against Alberta.

ows_149971469493845.jpg

Go Gophers!!

City Pages: The price for dishonoring Minnesota hockey legend John Mariucci: $11.2 million

How much the U's athletic department reveres Mariucci came to light Monday. Courtesy of a 14-year, $11.2 million sponsorship deal with 3M, the Gophers will play its first game next season at the newly christened "3M Arena at Mariucci."

Mariucci's legend has taken second-billing to a tape manufacturer.

"Really?" says alum and former Gopher head coach Brad Buetow in disbelief. "Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That really saddens me. You know, you sell your soul."

City Pages reached five former players yesterday. One declined comment. Three wouldn't speak on the record.

"I gain nothing but headaches by speaking publicly about the subject," says an alum, whose career now involves the business side of the sport. "Do I like it? No. For so long, Gopher hockey stood for things, important things. Commitment, work ethic, team. These were the kind of lessons I took away from the program. Now we have a regime where the university's word, I mean, Christ, you told the man his name would be stamped across the place, means nothing."

Paul Broten takes a more moderate approach. The Roseau native followed the lead of older brothers Neal and Aaron all the way to the first Mariucci Arena's ice sheet. Broten was a member of three Gopher squads in the 1980s that made it to the NCAA Frozen Four.

"You know, when I just heard about it this morning, at first I thought, really? They changed the name?" he says. "Then when I thought about. It's good they're still going to keep the Mariucci name on it."

http://www.citypages.com/news/the-p...ey-legend-john-mariucci-112-million/433628503

Go Gophers!!

per Souhan:

This week’s complaint from the long-beleaguered is that honorable old Mariucci Arena will be renamed The 3M Arena at Mariucci. The local company will pay $11.2 million over 14 years for the naming rights.

The money will help the university fund its new athletics village, a key for recruiting top athletes.

There is a place for the kind of nostalgia that has led former Gophers athletes and current fans complaining about the selling of naming rights.

That place is the MIAC.

If you want the Gophers to even attempt to compete with the powers of the Big Ten in football and basketball, you sell naming rights whenever you can, for as much as you can.

You may not like it when Williams Arena is renamed “Sherwin’’ Williams, or “The Dress Barn,’’ but if the price is right and the funds help the basketball programs excel, what’s in a name?

http://www.startribune.com/universi...ying-to-keep-up-with-naming-rights/433964483/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom