Projected Gophers Non-Conference Schedule

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Projected Gophers Schedule

Projected Home/Road/Neutral Split: 17 HOME/11 ROAD/3 NEUTRAL

Final 2016-17 KenPom ranking in parentheses.

Confirmed (19)
@ Purdue (19)
Purdue (19)
@ Michigan (20)
@ Arkansas (35)
@ Northwestern (38)
Northwestern (38)
Miami (42)
@ Indiana (44)
Indiana (44)
vs. Alabama (56) -- Barclays Center Classic
@ Providence (60)
@ Iowa (71)
Iowa (71)
vs. Ohio State (73) -- New York
@ Nebraska (107)
Nebraska (107)
vs. UMass (157) -- Barclays Center Classic
Western Carolina (322) -- Barclays Center Classic
Alabama A&M (351) -- Barclays Center Classic

Projected (12)
@ Wisconsin (21)
@ Michigan State (40)
@ Maryland (46)
Illinois (66)
Auburn (82)
New Mexico State (84)
Penn State (87)
Rutgers (135)
South Dakota (143)
UIC (238)
Eastern Kentucky (272)
FIU (276)

You think Auburn or someone like them will be part of another home/away?

Auburn

You think Auburn or someone like them will be part of another home/away?

Yes. If Gophers don't start another home & home this year or at least add another quality neutral-site game, I think the non-con schedule will be a little light given what the expectations are for this Gopher team. The schedule needs a little more beef even with the games that've already been announced.

I pegged Auburn because Bruce Pearl reportedly is looking for a home & home vs. a high major and is willing to start the H&H on the road. Yes, that would be a third SEC opponent (not ideal), but Pitino was willing to schedule 4 teams from the same conference last year (Sun Belt), so why not 3 from the same conference (SEC) this season?

A lot of stinkers in the preseason to go with an upgraded upper end of the schedule. I think we'll pay in March for that and see handwringing about seeding. Alas, they can't control their preseason tourney competition.

Sorry if this was addressed in a different thread, but any projection on when the full schedule will be released?

Sorry if this was addressed in a different thread, but any projection on when the full schedule will be released?

Most schools release their non-conference schedule separately - usually in July or August -- but the Gophers did not do that last season. Last year they released the entire schedule on Aug. 25. Looks like we're headed that way again, as the B1G10 hasn't even announced who each teams' 18 conference opponents will be. That's usually done by now.

A lot of stinkers in the preseason to go with an upgraded upper end of the schedule. I think we'll pay in March for that and see handwringing about seeding. Alas, they can't control their preseason tourney competition.

Respectfully, Holy Man, not yet ready to say the upper end of the non-conference schedule has been upgraded. Last year 3 of the 5 opponents on the upper end of the Gophers' non-conference schedule ended up being NCAA at-large selections (Arkansas, Florida State, Vandy), and a 4th (UT Arlington) won a regular-season championship and finished #75 in the KenPom rankings.

This season Alabama, Arkansas, Miami, and Providence all appear capable of being NCAA-caliber teams, but I'll be mildly surprised if all (or even 3 of 'em) make the NCAA tourney. Alabama and Arkansas, especially, I think the jury is still out, + the UMass game in Brooklyn will do little for the Gophers.

That's why I expect the Gophers to add another high major opponent on the schedule we don't yet know about. Add another one of those and I think the upper end of the schedule definitely will look better, even if it's only in terms of volume.

Furthermore, last year the Big10 was looked down at by the national media as a bunch of mid-major type talent teams. This coming year, the Big10 will be viewed differently w/ a top 5 team in Michigan St. and top 25 teams in Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan, Purdue and Iowa.

Furthermore, last year the Big10 was looked down at by the national media as a bunch of mid-major type talent teams. This coming year, the Big10 will be viewed differently w/ a top 5 team in Michigan St. and top 25 teams in Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan, Purdue and Iowa.

Agree, the B1G10 will be stronger this season. The big question is, will there be a second team (Gophers? Purdue? Michigan?) that can join Sparty as a legitimate national title contender? Feels strange to type that, but the Gophers have as good a chance as any to be the conference's 2nd top dog in 2017-18.

Respectfully, Holy Man, not yet ready to say the upper end of the non-conference schedule has been upgraded. Last year 3 of the 5 opponents on the upper end of the Gophers' non-conference schedule ended up being NCAA at-large selections (Arkansas, Florida State, Vandy), and a 4th (UT Arlington) won a regular-season championship and finished #75 in the KenPom rankings.

This season Alabama, Arkansas, Miami, and Providence all appear capable of being NCAA-caliber teams, but I'll be mildly surprised if all (or even 3 of 'em) make the NCAA tourney. Alabama and Arkansas, especially, I think the jury is still out, + the UMass game in Brooklyn will do little for the Gophers.

That's why I expect the Gophers to add another high major opponent on the schedule we don't yet know about. Add another one of those and I think the upper end of the schedule definitely will look better, even if it's only in terms of volume.

No need to preface with respectfully, SS. You always are.

I'm assuming Miami is better than anyone we saw in the NC last year. I'm also assuming that Arkansas is better than last year and getting them on the road upgrades that part of the schedule. I know nothing of Alabama and Providence has proven the last few years that they are going to be at or near the NCAA line every year, although I don't know much about their returning line-up either. I'm assuming the upgrade as much from road games as anything else. I have always hated those 200 plus games and we have way too many of them this year, no matter what the upper end of the schedule looks like.

I am hoping you are right that we get a really nice game that we don't know about yet, but if we can land a Texas Arlington type game I would be okay with that.

Out of curiosity, do you think the staff knows the B1G schedule yet and can plan based on that knowledge or are they speculating as much as we are? I do think knowing the conference schedule in advance would help in putting together a NC schedule.

No need to preface with respectfully, SS. You always are.

I'm assuming Miami is better than anyone we saw in the NC last year. I'm also assuming that Arkansas is better than last year and getting them on the road upgrades that part of the schedule. I know nothing of Alabama and Providence has proven the last few years that they are going to be at or near the NCAA line every year, although I don't know much about their returning line-up either. I'm assuming the upgrade as much from road games as anything else. I have always hated those 200 plus games and we have way too many of them this year, no matter what the upper end of the schedule looks like.

I am hoping you are right that we get a really nice game that we don't know about yet, but if we can land a Texas Arlington type game I would be okay with that.

Out of curiosity, do you think the staff knows the B1G schedule yet and can plan based on that knowledge or are they speculating as much as we are? I do think knowing the conference schedule in advance would help in putting together a NC schedule.

Definitely think they know the 18 conference opponents. As you pointed out, that's a significant factor in determining non-con schedule, have a better idea of how many more "tough games" they need.

I do think they need one more good home game to make up losing the Ohio State game to MSG. With SS predictions there are six top 100 squads and two more 150 ish opponents. Be nice if they fit UND in as well I think they'll repeat in their league. Maybe swap FIU for them

Perhaps Gophers, Alabama can opt out of playing Alabama A&M?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But that would rob Alabama A&M of the chance to bulk up their resume for an at-large bid. :cool:

Wait, Sconny doesn't play here:confused:

Gophers for sure will play in Madison this year.

Not likely to play at The Barn based on Gophers have already played home & homes with Badgers twice in last 3 seasons. To this point B1G10 doesn't have protected rivalries.

Alabama A&M

But that would rob Alabama A&M of the chance to bulk up their resume for an at-large bid. :cool:

On the bright side, if Alabama A&M visits Williams Arena Brought To You By Buffalo Wild Wings, we'll get to see what the absolute worst team in D1 college basketball looks like up close & personal.

Plus, Alabama A&M is ineligible for the postseason in 2017-18!

Gophers will play Michigan once

With confirmation Gophers are playing Michigan only once (on the road), now projecting Gophers will play Indiana twice. Updated schedule projection above.

Gophers B1G10 Home & Homes Added Above

Indiana
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue

Top Bottom