Doogie: Big news coming tommoro

I've watched the U increase ticket prices and gifts to the point where long term fans were forced out. That's one reason money doesn't excite me. Also, the build up heightened expectations, whether intentional or not.

BTW, I am a retiree, so your insult that I am a child is wildly ill-directed. Finally, I would like to think that we can have differing opinions and discuss them without resorting to insults.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ows_149971469493845.jpg

Go Gophers!!

I'm announcing a $100 million donation to pay off the Athletes Village, expand The Barn, put a 2nd deck on The Bank and bring back the Big Ten pub with its quarter tap Thursdays.

When I was at the U it was $1.50 pitchers of Natty Ice. Horrible hangovers, I was there every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not count on it. There are several posters who go on the attack if you make any reference to mediocrity. They will throw vicious insults at you but only because they feel poorly about themselves. on the other hand are hundreds of folks offering well thought opinions.

City Pages: The price for dishonoring Minnesota hockey legend John Mariucci: $11.2 million

How much the U's athletic department reveres Mariucci came to light Monday. Courtesy of a 14-year, $11.2 million sponsorship deal with 3M, the Gophers will play its first game next season at the newly christened "3M Arena at Mariucci."

Mariucci's legend has taken second-billing to a tape manufacturer.

"Really?" says alum and former Gopher head coach Brad Buetow in disbelief. "Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That really saddens me. You know, you sell your soul."

City Pages reached five former players yesterday. One declined comment. Three wouldn't speak on the record.

"I gain nothing but headaches by speaking publicly about the subject," says an alum, whose career now involves the business side of the sport. "Do I like it? No. For so long, Gopher hockey stood for things, important things. Commitment, work ethic, team. These were the kind of lessons I took away from the program. Now we have a regime where the university's word, I mean, Christ, you told the man his name would be stamped across the place, means nothing."

Paul Broten takes a more moderate approach. The Roseau native followed the lead of older brothers Neal and Aaron all the way to the first Mariucci Arena's ice sheet. Broten was a member of three Gopher squads in the 1980s that made it to the NCAA Frozen Four.

"You know, when I just heard about it this morning, at first I thought, really? They changed the name?" he says. "Then when I thought about. It's good they're still going to keep the Mariucci name on it."

http://www.citypages.com/news/the-p...ey-legend-john-mariucci-112-million/433628503

Go Gophers!!

Apparently you don't quite appreciate the economics of big time college athletics. Or you don't care. If it's the latter, just let the adults comment.

Thank you 3M for supporting Gopher Athletics! Bring some of your friends. (See list above.)

Dude...

City Pages: The price for dishonoring Minnesota hockey legend John Mariucci: $11.2 million

How much the U's athletic department reveres Mariucci came to light Monday. Courtesy of a 14-year, $11.2 million sponsorship deal with 3M, the Gophers will play its first game next season at the newly christened "3M Arena at Mariucci."

Mariucci's legend has taken second-billing to a tape manufacturer.

"Really?" says alum and former Gopher head coach Brad Buetow in disbelief. "Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That really saddens me. You know, you sell your soul."

City Pages reached five former players yesterday. One declined comment. Three wouldn't speak on the record.

"I gain nothing but headaches by speaking publicly about the subject," says an alum, whose career now involves the business side of the sport. "Do I like it? No. For so long, Gopher hockey stood for things, important things. Commitment, work ethic, team. These were the kind of lessons I took away from the program. Now we have a regime where the university's word, I mean, Christ, you told the man his name would be stamped across the place, means nothing."

Paul Broten takes a more moderate approach. The Roseau native followed the lead of older brothers Neal and Aaron all the way to the first Mariucci Arena's ice sheet. Broten was a member of three Gopher squads in the 1980s that made it to the NCAA Frozen Four.

"You know, when I just heard about it this morning, at first I thought, really? They changed the name?" he says. "Then when I thought about. It's good they're still going to keep the Mariucci name on it."

http://www.citypages.com/news/the-p...ey-legend-john-mariucci-112-million/433628503

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure how the name alteration should affect commitment, work and team. I see nothing mutually exclusive about them. The family signed on to it for crying out loud. Who are we to get haughty?

Ok, boys, you've successfully shamed me. I apologize for my snide remark above - it was uncalled for. We can disagree. The way I see it, if you want to play with the big boys, we, at Minnesota have to be open to all possibilities. We need the money. We do not sell 110,000 football tickets for $100 each. To play with Michigan and Ohio State, we have to find other ways to bring in money. So it's very important. Very, very important. Again, apologies to those I offended.

Ok, boys, you've successfully shamed me. I apologize for my snide remark above - it was uncalled for. We can disagree. The way I see it, if you want to play with the big boys, we, at Minnesota have to be open to all possibilities. We need the money. We do not sell 110,000 football tickets for $100 each. To play with Michigan and Ohio State, we have to find other ways to bring in money. So it's very important. Very, very important. Again, apologies to those I offended.

I don't think the financial health of the athletic department is a big matter to 95% of fans. Also Michigan sells its football tickets at $68/game for season tickets for non-students for the bulk of their tickets. Minnesota sells there tickets at about $80/game for the bulk of their tickets?(did I do the math right? prices include mandatory scholarship donation). Michigan basketball tickets are cheaper than the Gophers basketball tickets as well. I don't feel like looking up the OSU stats but it's worth noting that Minnesota tends to be more expensive.

I don't think the financial health of the athletic department is a big matter to 95% of fans. Also Michigan sells its football tickets at $68/game for season tickets for non-students for the bulk of their tickets. Minnesota sells there tickets at about $80/game for the bulk of their tickets?(did I do the math right? prices include mandatory scholarship donation). Michigan basketball tickets are cheaper than the Gophers basketball tickets as well. I don't feel like looking up the OSU stats but it's worth noting that Minnesota tends to be more expensive.

If Coyle is smart, he would invest the 3M funds into lowering the cost of student tickets for both. They will make it back in 5-10 years, but they have to pick a time to take the short term hit.

So has there been the announcement yet?? I'm so lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Souhan:

This week’s complaint from the long-beleaguered is that honorable old Mariucci Arena will be renamed The 3M Arena at Mariucci. The local company will pay $11.2 million over 14 years for the naming rights.

The money will help the university fund its new athletics village, a key for recruiting top athletes.

There is a place for the kind of nostalgia that has led former Gophers athletes and current fans complaining about the selling of naming rights.

That place is the MIAC.

If you want the Gophers to even attempt to compete with the powers of the Big Ten in football and basketball, you sell naming rights whenever you can, for as much as you can.

You may not like it when Williams Arena is renamed “Sherwin’’ Williams, or “The Dress Barn,’’ but if the price is right and the funds help the basketball programs excel, what’s in a name?

http://www.startribune.com/universi...ying-to-keep-up-with-naming-rights/433964483/

Go Gophers!!

I have no problem with naming rights. A building is a building but if alumni would contribute like they do at other power 5 schools we may not have these situations.

Okay so we need to sell naming rights to compete because that's how other big ten teams who are competitive get an advantage. I thought I'd look at what all other basketball stadiums are called in the Big Ten:

Bryce Jordan Center -- Penn State
Rutgers Athletic Center -- Rutgers
Welsh-Ryan Arena -- North Western
Pinnacle Bank Arena -- Nebraska
Value City Arena -- Ohio State
Carver-Hawkeye Arena -- Iowa
Williams Arena -- Minnesota
State Farm Center -- Illinois
Crisler Center -- Michigan
Xfinity Center -- Maryland
Mackey Arena -- Purdue
Kohl Center -- Wisconsin
Breslin Student Events Center -- Michigan State
Assembly Hall -- Indiana

I'm sorry, but I don't see the correlation of licensing rights with team dominance. I think what they're trying to say is: "If we want to be more like Wisconsin we need to get our own sugar daddy."

Assembly Hall at Indiana is now officially Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

Okay so we need to sell naming rights to compete because that's how other big ten teams who are competitive get an advantage. I thought I'd look at what all other basketball stadiums are called in the Big Ten:

Mackey Arena -- Purdue
Kohl Center -- Wisconsin
Assembly Hall -- Indiana

I'm sorry, but I don't see the correlation of licensing rights with team dominance. I think what they're trying to say is: "If we want to be more like Wisconsin we need to get our own sugar daddy."

It's not about naming rights necessarily, it's about generating revenue to keep up with the competition, and selling naming rights is a pretty fruitful means to that end.

It's not about naming rights necessarily, it's about generating revenue to keep up with the competition, and selling naming rights is a pretty fruitful means to that end.

+1. Exactly. Of the others listed, several (Michigan, PSU, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Nebraska) don't need to sell naming rights to be ahead in revenue, some probably can't no matter how hard they try (Rutgers, Northwestern), and the rest would absolutely do it if the right opportunity came along. This is a way to capture revenue that others can generate without selling naming rights.

Mackey Arena -- Purdue
Kohl Center -- Wisconsin
Assembly Hall -- Indiana

I hope they sell naming rights to as many buildings as possible. Why would fans care what they're called? I care about the product on the field/court/rink, and the more revenue, the better chance at having a top-notch product.

I have to admit I learned something new today. I have always thought Crisler arena was Chrysler arena. Learned it was named after an old coach and not after a car company.

Top Bottom