Doogie: Big news coming tommoro

Press conference leads to believe that Kaslcheur, Jarvis or Race will commit. Race would qualify as "big news" much moreso than the other two but that may be Doogie sensationalizing it.

What would the Timberwolves be announcing that would affect the Gophers? A Gopher game at the Target Center?

What would the Timberwolves be announcing that would affect the Gophers? A Gopher game at the Target Center?

Doogs is escaping from Twolves news to bring us Gopher news.

Another text showed something about it being at the pavilion? Is that on campus? If on campus it's not recruit related. I'm guessing it's some gift to the athletic department.

I was thinking we were getting a commitment, but forgot that a "press conference" would be unlikely to announce a commit in the Summer since they are usually at a players high school.

Doogs is escaping from Twolves news to bring us Gopher news.

Another text showed something about it being at the pavilion? Is that on campus? If on campus it's not recruit related. I'm guessing it's some gift to the athletic department.

Sports pavilion is adjacent to the barn in the same building, the area where the hockey arena used to be, the woman's volleyball team plays there.

I'm announcing a $100 million donation to pay off the Athletes Village, expand The Barn, put a 2nd deck on The Bank and bring back the Big Ten pub with its quarter tap Thursdays.

My vote is something regarding the opponent for the game to be played at US Bank Stadium.

My vote is something regarding the opponent for the game to be played at US Bank Stadium.

That game isn't until December 2018, they wouldn't announce that this early.

I am guessing this has to do with the Athletics Village and fundraising which will be met with collective yawn by those who originally saw Doogie's tease. Fundraising news at this point, will only excite the bean counters as the Village is getting built with or without any additional donations.

I doubt it's recruit related. My guess: Large donation

That game isn't until December 2018, they wouldn't announce that this early.

I am guessing this has to do with the Athletics Village and fundraising which will be met with collective yawn by those who originally saw Doogie's tease. Fundraising news at this point, will only excite the bean counters as the Village is getting built with or without any additional donations.

It's true they've confirmed there'll be a "big" game at US Bank in 2018, but that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be one this season (2017). Sometimes things change. Hopefully that's the case and this "big announcement" isn't just about getting a big donor (yawn). With this big of a teaser by Doogie, it better be something more interesting than that.

Well Mariucci got a new corporate sponsor for the namesake today. Probably the same for Williams

I guess it is just mariucci for the time being. Figured Williams was going to be involved somehow because a. It's been talked about and brought up too and b. Doogie has no interest in hockey

3M naming rights for Mariucci. $11 million over ten years or so and used for the Village. Not a yawn, but I'd rather have had a recruiting commitment.

3M naming rights for Mariucci. $11 million over ten years or so and used for the Village. Not a yawn, but I'd rather have had a recruiting commitment.

I'd say that's pretty big. I've long wondered why so many of the Fortune 500 firms in the cities have failed to step up and support Gopher athletics. Some are present but too many are absent. Great to see 3M's involvement.

6: UnitedHealth Group (up from 14; 2016 revenues of $157.1 billion)
38: Target (down from 36, $73.8)
71: Best Buy (up from 72, $39.7)
84: CHS (down from 69, $34.6)
93: 3M (up from 98, $30.3)
131: U.S. Bancorp (up from 138, $21.5)
160: Supervalu (up from 164, $17.8)
161: General Mills (up from 171, $17.6)
206: Ecolab (up from 213, $13.5)
208: C.H. Robinson Worldwide (up from 225, $13.5)
215: Land O’Lakes (down from 203, $13.20)
232: Ameriprise Financial (up from 247, $12.2)
257: Xcel Energy (down from 255, $11)
304: Hormel Foods (up from 310, $9.3)
316: Mosaic (up from 320, $8.9)
318: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans (up from 333, $8.8)
465: St. Jude Medical (up from 466, $5.5)

If naming rights is the big news, call me bored and disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Getting 3M financially involved with U athletics is a very big deal. That kind of support from the local business community is exactly what has been missing for Gophers intercollegiate sports during the last 40 or 50 years. It is one more sign that things are changing in a very big way at the U.

If naming rights is the big news, call me bored and disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Apparently you don't quite appreciate the economics of big time college athletics. Or you don't care. If it's the latter, just let the adults comment.

Thank you 3M for supporting Gopher Athletics! Bring some of your friends. (See list above.)

Top Bottom