Big News Coming Tomorrow?

I'm ok with the name thing. It brings in money, as a more urban college I would hope we could capitalize on corporate sponsorship and sports better than we have in the past.

^This. Kind of sad how 3M Arena, TCF Bank Stadium, and whatever they rename Williams will stand in stark contrast to "Maturi Pavilion" across the street, which generated no naming revenue and whose sports all the other arenas basically are paying for.

Ultimately, it's good news for the fund-raising. But seriously - who is going to call Mariucci "3-M Arena?"

when - and I do mean when - they sell the naming rights for Williams Arena, I don't care what the new corporate name is. I'm still going to call it Williams Arena. Unless you are one of the 3 people that called the Metrodome "Mall of America Field" for Vikings games.

Today's fans will continue to call it Mariucci. Local news ... maybe they'll use 3M sometimes. But every U of M communication will use 3M in the name. TV announcers will use 3M in the name. The Big Ten network will use 3M in the name.

^This. Kind of sad how 3M Arena, TCF Bank Stadium, and whatever they rename Williams will stand in stark contrast to "Maturi Pavilion" across the street, which generated no naming revenue and whose sports all the other arenas basically are paying for.

With all due respect, that's basically how Mariucci and Williams got named in the first place. The pavilion was Mariucci, so I guess you could say the revue sports paid for the remodel. Doesn't look like the U even refers to it as Maturi Sports Pavilion...

Call it M-M-Mariucci arena. Cover all 3 Ms.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm never a fan of corporate sponsor names as opposed to traditional stadium names, but when you throw $11M+ into the equation, there's really no argument to be made, in my opinion. It's still going to be "Mariucci" to 90% of Gopher fans.

I have no problem with it but if alumni gave more money like they do at other power 5 schools we wouldn't have these kinds of situations.

Figured it was something like this. Would have been weird to host a presser for a recruit in July

Is this the first major dollars committed from MMM to the U? If so, shame on them!

Not Doogies fault you're a child and need immediate satisfaction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, you are taking a shot at someone here because you don't feel their excitement level for adding the 3M name to the hockey arena is high enough? That seems to be a good topic to fight for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the first major dollars committed from MMM to the U? If so, shame on them!

giphy.gif

To be fair, I'm sure 3M doesn't really care about fans still calling it Mariucci, they care about TV and radio announcers calling it 3M Arena.

There are very few responses on the hockey board, find that interesting.

Not trying to promote other sites, but gopherpucklive.com is going to have your hockey chatter.

This. All the die-hard fans post on GPL. There's an entire thread devoted to the name change, they were talking about it over there since mid-May.

Halsey, Many of us care. The more money they can raise the less pressure there is to raise ticket prices.

Every person that I know that either lives in Seattle or is/has been associated with the University of Washington never refers to the basketball arena on Montlake Blvd. as either Alaska Airlines Arena or Bank of America Arena or whatever the corporate name of the arena is nowadays.

It's Hec Ed Pavillion.

I would suggest the same thing happens here.

Halsey, Many of us care. The more money they can raise the less pressure there is to raise ticket prices.

Supply and Demand. Period. How much money they raise has zero to do with ticket prices.

The word is that Louie Nanne had a large role in putting this 3M deal together. Apparently, Coyle mentioned it at today's press conference. I don't know how that can be possible. Gopherholers have been told more than a few times by those "in the know" that Louie is just a mascot for the people in the U's fundraising department who raise money for intercollegiate athletics.

Top Bottom