PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-9-17

We moved our four seats to sunny side 3 years ago. It did not affect me one bit that I have been on the visitors sideline. I enjoy the extra few degrees on those November days and I did not feal slighted that I was not on the home side of the field.

Honest Question - why do you care what team is standing on the sideline on the side of the field you are sitting on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest answer. When I sit on the other side I get no flavor for what is going on behind the scenes. I can't see the interaction on the sidelines between the players the coaches and and the coaches themselves. I can't see who is being treated for injury,who is warming up, who is getting chewed out. To me that is half the fun.

We moved our four seats to sunny side 3 years ago. It did not affect me one bit that I have been on the visitors sideline. I enjoy the extra few degrees on those November days and I did not feal slighted that I was not on the home side of the field.

So, just to be clear, because it doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anyone else? Some people prefer to be on the Home side to be near the home players. If it is true and they make the switch, for those people, it will be an issue. Am I shocked the crack athletic department didn't think this through? No. If you are, you haven't been paying attention.

That does not mean that some people will be upset because they chose seats for a reason on the south side of the field. Given the "Price" for the luxury to buy those tickets, some whining is to be expected. Considering that the "donation" for the same seats on the north side is the same - and the long track record of not giving a rat's ass about the paying public -- I expect the U to have the same "stop whining you little brats" attitude as some of the posters on the board.

For the record, having previously had season seats on both sides of the stadium, the Sunny Side is definitely the better choice, in my opinion, regardless of where the Gophers sideline is. But that's my opinion, and I respect the folks that dug deep to have seats near the team under the old configuration.

Darwin's theory at work. We will have the smartest birds in the lower 48.

Well, if they are that smart we won't have any birds because they will know to avoid the environmental nightmare.

[emoji48]
c846183c9d3a93126af9fd9e19b0ff89.jpg

So, just to be clear, because it doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anyone else? Some people prefer to be on the Home side to be near the home players. If it is true and they make the switch, for those people, it will be an issue. Am I shocked the crack athletic department didn't think this through? No. If you are, you haven't been paying attention.

That does not mean that some people will be upset because they chose seats for a reason on the south side of the field. Given the "Price" for the luxury to buy those tickets, some whining is to be expected. Considering that the "donation" for the same seats on the north side is the same - and the long track record of not giving a rat's ass about the paying public -- I expect the U to have the same "stop whining you little brats" attitude as some of the posters on the board.

For the record, having previously had season seats on both sides of the stadium, the Sunny Side is definitely the better choice, in my opinion, regardless of where the Gophers sideline is. But that's my opinion, and I respect the folks that dug deep to have seats near the team under the old configuration.

I get it, yet I dont' ...

I've been on the north side for 4 years or so, and sat all around the stadium prior to that.

For those that call the south side the 'home" side, it is home only in the sense that that is where the Gopher bench has been. With the exception of portions of a fringe section or two on the north side, it is filled with Gopher fans.... its not like you are forced to mingle with opposition fans. They are primarily contained in the NW corner.

If you are into watching sideline action, my eyesight is not that great, and I've really had no problem picking up on activity on the Gopher bench from across the field. If your focus is more than 50% on wanting to watch sideline activity vs. the game itself, I guess then I'd understand.

If the team sees an advantage to a particular sideline, they should do it.

Frankly, I think they should go game by game depending on the weather forecast.

I get it, yet I dont' ...

I've been on the north side for 4 years or so, and sat all around the stadium prior to that.

For those that call the south side the 'home" side, it is home only in the sense that that is where the Gopher bench has been. With the exception of portions of a fringe section or two on the north side, it is filled with Gopher fans.... its not like you are forced to mingle with opposition fans. They are primarily contained in the NW corner.

If you are into watching sideline action, my eyesight is not that great, and I've really had no problem picking up on activity on the Gopher bench from across the field. If your focus is more than 50% on wanting to watch sideline activity vs. the game itself, I guess then I'd understand.

If the team sees an advantage to a particular sideline, they should do it.

Frankly, I think they should go game by game depending on the weather forecast.

I have often had the same thought, don't know why this would be hard to do.

I would actually think that the disadvantage of being in the shade for the last game or two would pale in comparison to the possibility of being the cooler team for an early season game. Being cold is uncomfortable, but being overly warm causes cramps, heat exhaustion etc.

Honest answer. When I sit on the other side I get no flavor for what is going on behind the scenes. I can't see the interaction on the sidelines between the players the coaches and and the coaches themselves. I can't see who is being treated for injury,who is warming up, who is getting chewed out. To me that is half the fun.

I'm hoping they offer up equitable seating for those that want to switch. Having said that do you think there are a lot of fans like yourself that would prefer they not switch at all if you can't move your seats with them? IF there is a competitive advantage to switching sidelines, I'd hope most would rather listen to the visitor drama on the sidelines while we are beating them, than hear our drama on the sidelines while we are losing.

I would actually think that the disadvantage of being in the shade for the last game or two would pale in comparison to the possibility of being the cooler team for an early season game. Being cold is uncomfortable, but being overly warm causes cramps, heat exhaustion etc.

That is why it makes more sense to change sidelines based on the weather forecast for each home game. Would think staying on the shaded side in August/September would be better and then in October/November move to the sunny side. With some minor adjustments based on the weather forecast for each particular Saturday.

That is why it makes more sense to change sidelines based on the weather forecast for each home game. Would think staying on the shaded side in August/September would be better and then in October/November move to the sunny side. With some minor adjustments based on the weather forecast for each particular Saturday.

Don't want to confuse the players #musclememory

If they do it they'll have to take some effort to avoid interactions with the visitor tunnel on what would now be the MN side of the field.

I always go to TCF to watch the game, not the sidelines. I switched sides after the first year because I froze my butt off at the late season games. When you watch a road game on TV are you upset that you can't see what is happening on the sidelines? It seems to me winning is number one and PJ should do what contributes to winning first and foremost.

If they do it they'll have to take some effort to avoid interactions with the visitor tunnel on what would now be the MN side of the field.

Back in the 50's Michigan used to intimidate road teams in their tunnel.

I'm hoping team north / seats south gives a better view of Fleck doing cartwheels and backflips during 80 yard Gopher TD plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Game by game is the correct way to go.

[/B]

I have often had the same thought, don't know why this would be hard to do.

Take the shade in the early fall late summer when it is still hot. In October move to the North side. Most of the games if you go historically in August and September time frame have been fairly warm to hot. By October the games have been fairly cool to considerably colder especially 1st week of October then last week of October and just about all November games have been on the cool to colder side. Use that advantage by moving when it is to your advantage, part of home field advantage.

Takes temperature changes and the wind into account by the game. Week of the game they should be able to forecast enough to decide which side you stand on.
It's not like they will change locker rooms. You get the best of both worlds, people are appeased because you have used both sides. Logistically speaking as long as they plan it out
this should not be that difficult for stadium operations to pull off. Keep the shade the the first 3 games, move to the sun the last 3 to 4 games, would make the most sense to me.

They still interact sometimes....

I read the other day that Ohio state has won 12 of the 13 last meetings with Michigan. Pretty remarkable. Considering last year was a reloading year for OSU 2017 probably won't be the year to reverse that trend.

I will be disappointed if they switch sides. My parents has seats in the dome for 25 years on the visiting side, when they moved to TCF, they were tired of looking a the backs for the band members so they wanted to be on the home side. the band plays the Anthem towards the home side, most of the pregame is played toward the home side, their block M faces the home side. Not sure if they are going to come up with a new pre game and half time time shows, but that also plays into why people pick the home side. Being on the sunny side of the field or the shadow side of the field in all a state of mind. This almost seems to say that if we were on the other sideline, we would have won more home games. Games on won on the field, not standing on the sidelines.

Top Bottom