PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 7-9-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave (and Max) on Sunday, July 9th. (Note - watch for "sideline" question.....)

Sid: (status of) 22 guys with injuries.
PJF: we'll get pretty much everybody back by 1st game. they've been rehabbing and are being cleared, but the drawback is they haven't had a lot of training. They'll have challenges ahead, but look forward to getting them back on the field

Sid: going to use remaining scholarships (for 2017)?
PJF: want to be cautious how we use them. once you use it, it's gone for next four years. might use 1 in '18 or bump back to '19. whatever we do, it has to be well thought out and the best decision for the program.

Sid: what are you looking for in QB fight?
PJF: don't know yet. Our QB's are very competitive. kirk (OC) does tremendous job. year 1 is more difficult - learning the system - tough to master new system in 1 year. that's what we're looking for - mastery of the offense, but don't know if that will happen in year one.

Sid: will any FR be ready to move in at OT or DT?
PJF: our problems with DT are next year. zero depth. got our work cut out in recruiting. next year might see 3-4 starters (on the DL) who are true FR - take your lumps. we're willing to do that. same thing on offensive side of ball. you've got to get younger before we get older. 2018 class might see some guys contribute right away next year on OL. might see (2017) guys redshirt this year and play next year.

Mona: change side of field for home team?
PJF: one of main things I hear from fans, admin, players - move to other sideline. I think we'll be on other sideline. gives you advantages. probably be on different sideline.

Max: how much power do you give to coordinators on game planing?
PJF: I manage situations. 4th downs - difficult calls - time management. I let coaches coach. they spend the most amount of time on FB. do all the game-planning ahead of time. they know what I want to do and they execute it. best coordinators in country. in certain situations, if we're going to do something unique, I'm probably the one calling that. But I let them coach.

Mona: do you take direct role in Substitutions?
PJF: prior to going into game, we talk about how many reps you want RB's to get. for our subs, (work that out) ahead of time. keep an eye on every player - injury? someone else better at that position? I'm willing to let my players fail. not one of those guys who will yank them if they have a bad quarter. they're not perfect - the more they fail, the more they learn. will help them for future. next year we will be incredibly young - year after that still young.

Sid: will Buffalo give you a challenge?
PJF: they have a phenomenal FB coach - won National Championships at Whitewater. He's a close personal friend. he'll be ready for us. It's all about us - how we play- we have to play our best. not going to worry too much about our opponents. need to play our best FB every Saturday or we can be beaten by anybody. all we worry about (is ourselves)

Mona: learning a New set of officials? How do you get along with officials?
PJF: I love communicating with officials. love when they communicate with me. all I ask for is communication. calls will go for us and against us - I just want game to be officiated fairly. Officials in B1G do elite job. had great relationship with MAC officials. part of the game - like umpires calling strike zone. proud of B1G officials.

Max: what do you look for in officials?
PJF: consistency and communication. not just making the call, but their energy - how you officiate 1st qtr to 4th qtr. do you get emotional? I look for consistency of people in general. look for consistency and communication in terms of hiring people. two qualities you look for. All I ask for in pre-game meeting with officials is consistency and communication. May have to adjust based on calls - if you see holding calls (on a certain play), then you're not going to run that scheme because (getting penalties) of way we're blocking. have to adjust.

Sid: number of commitments for 2018?
PJF: 19 - 2nd most in country. it's not a race. it shows how many people want to be Gophers. probably will get more commitments in next two weeks. not looking at stars -
we want the right kind of people who can handle doubters and handle criticism.

Sid - can't wait till start of season.
PJF: excited. RTB ski-u-mah.

Thanks, S.O.N!

Thanks for your summary!

Yes thank you - You've confirmed what I thought I heard, Gophers will finally move sidelines.

Yes thank you - You've confirmed what I thought I heard, Gophers will finally move sidelines.

Damn! That is where my seats are. Oh well, I guess I will just have to put up with the heat in October, November, and December.

Was it poor design/oversight to build up the press box and luxury suites on the shade side of the field? I finally have the team on my side of the field. Go Gophers

Can someone explain the need for the sideline change? I assume people think they will see our guys better on the other sidelines, but it is a lot further away for folks in the boxes.

Can someone explain the need for the sideline change? I assume people think they will see our guys better on the other sidelines, but it is a lot further away for folks in the boxes.

The "away" side feels a legitimate 30-40 degrees warmer on cold days due to the sunlight. I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating.

I always assumed that it would be a late season advantage to be in the sun and not freezing your arse off on the sidelines.... That is why I chose that side....

And I bought my tickets on the home field side. I assume the ticket office will be willing to move my seats to an equivalent spot on the other side now.

Did PJ pull out the "close personal friend" line on Sid?

Dude is streets ahead.

I wonder what this means for Section 109. These seats near the visiting tunnel have typically been reserved for the largest group of fans from the opposing team. Heck, even a team like New Hampshire may have brough a couple hundred people sitting in those seats.

I'd suspect that if season ticket buyers want to move to the home side, 109 may be considered by the U of M. Right now, i believe it's in a high buck donation area. Maybe that will be reconsidered.

I'm all for this move!

The "away" side feels a legitimate 30-40 degrees warmer on cold days due to the sunlight. I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating.

That's correct! I used to share my tickets with a friend and he always complained about how hot it was in September on the then "visitors side". But he always changed his opinion when it got colder and become toasty on that side. That is one of the reasons I chose that side and have remained there. The only problem now is that I expect I will soon be very tired of of all the whining from people who have seats on that side.:banghead::banghead::banghead::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's correct! I used to share my tickets with a friend and he always complained about how hot it was in September on the then "visitors side". But he always changed his opinion when it got colder and become toasty on that side. That is one of the reasons I chose that side and have remained there. The only problem now is that I expect I will soon be very tired of of all the whining from people who have seats on that side.:banghead::banghead::banghead::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think we have reason to whine. We've put up with the cold temps all these years so that we can be on the home side. Now we're on the cold side and have to sit with the opposing fans too!

Hey it's Minnesota. If there was nothing to complain about, we wouldn't be happy

They should consult a meteorologist and choose a side before each game depending on the weather.

I can't believe it took them this long to figure out they needed to move. As others have said, I figured it out before game 1 the first year. Even I could figure it out (gasp). Hell, even the Vikings figured it out before they ever played a game there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it poor design/oversight to build up the press box and luxury suites on the shade side of the field? I finally have the team on my side of the field. Go Gophers

No. Then people in those boxes would cook the first half of the season and look directly into the sun, especially as the sun angle lowers later in the season.

My family has been season ticket holders for many years and has contributed many dollars to the University in the process. When we made our seat selection we deliberately choose to be on what this administration promised would be the home side. If this change goes through without any opportunity for season ticket holders like myself to move to comparable seats on the "new" home side, we will definitely be rethinking our contribution decisions going forward.

Fleck is saying things similar to what we saw in Pitino. First year, very solid. Next two years, struggle because of lack of depth.
This is why I think it's important that the Gophers win 9+ games this year. We have the talent. Win this year and recruiting is easier as we go through lean years in 2018 and 2019.

One thing I have noticed is the wind is he11 on the home side. It comes up 4th with a vengeance. It is as if the designers of the stadium did not take weather into account The Vikings stadium is an environmental nightmare as well as being a total eyesore. Whoever designed it should have his or her license revoked.

Thanks for taking the time SON to assist us people who weren't able to listen to the report.

My family has been season ticket holders for many years and has contributed many dollars to the University in the process. When we made our seat selection we deliberately choose to be on what this administration promised would be the home side. If this change goes through without any opportunity for season ticket holders like myself to move to comparable seats on the "new" home side, we will definitely be rethinking our contribution decisions going forward.

Honest Question - why do you care what team is standing on the sideline on the side of the field you are sitting on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS I don't get. I sat all over the stadium for a couple years before selecting 4 season tickets on the "sunny side".... 85-90 % of the attendees for the great majority of the games (excepting the once a year Wisc, Iowa, Nebraska crowds, who are fairly disbursed) are Gopher fans. Basically the entire stadium is "home" territory, and I don't really see the need to be nearest where the team is standing.... You can view them quite well across the venue.

Top Bottom