How do we finish up recruiting?

I gotta think the parents are the folks taking out the loans as the kids aren't going to be 18 for much of the time.

In that case it isn't so much a traditional school loan.

Yep, cosigners. My questions and comments still apply.

There is a lot to like in this class, but two areas that appear to be weak are O-line and LB. We appear to be taking Kill/Claeys type projects at these positions and I'd argue the recruiting for these areas isn't better than what it's been. Surprising especially at O-line given Warriner's track record.

I think we finish around 9 near Iowa. Using 247. I like the class but hope PJ gets us closer to the Nebraskas and Wisconsins next cycle

I think we finish around 9 near Iowa. Using 247. I like the class but hope PJ gets us closer to the Nebraskas and Wisconsins next cycle

Not sure why you lumped Nebraska with Wisconsin. Nebraska has a way better class by stars and Wisconsin has a pretty similar class to ours.

Not sure why you lumped Nebraska with Wisconsin. Nebraska has a way better class by stars and Wisconsin has a pretty similar class to ours.
I lumped Wisconsin with Nebraska because over the last 3-4 years they have been fairly close to each other. Plus Wisconsin seems to win a lot of games.

Now this year is different Nebraska is killing it.

We are still chasing Wisconsin even though we have 3 more commits. I wish we were Nebraska and right behind Becky with 9 fewer.

Breaking it down we have
1qb
2rb
3Wr
1Te
2 OT
1 OG
1C
2DE
2DT
2Olb
1Ilb
4Cb
1Athlete that I'm guessing will be a safety.
Also have a DT and CB transferring in that will be eligible in 2018. I'm not sure how many we are taking, guessing 25 or 26. Guessing we will take another Guard for the Oline. Thinking with the two transfers we're done with Connors and D-lineman. Maybe we take another safety too or we just take the two best players we can get. Course if there are more decommit we will have to plug those holes.

They could but they're already at 90+ scholarships...

Will be interesting to see who makes it through year one and who doesn't. We've had a number of redshirt JRs leave early the last few years and there's definitely a few candidates again this year. Plus there are always transfers.

Will be interesting to see who makes it through year one and who doesn't. We've had a number of redshirt JRs leave early the last few years and there's definitely a few candidates again this year. Plus there are always transfers.

Yeah there will be transfers for a variety of reasons.

I guess when I look at this class still, they could use a true DE still and they could use more of a true S. I could argue maybe a big WR or another interior OL as well but I think most things are pretty well covered.

Breaking it down we have
1qb
2rb
3Wr
1Te
2 OT
1 OG
1C
2DE
2DT
2Olb
1Ilb
4Cb
1Athlete that I'm guessing will be a safety.
Also have a DT and CB transferring in that will be eligible in 2018. I'm not sure how many we are taking, guessing 25 or 26. Guessing we will take another Guard for the Oline. Thinking with the two transfers we're done with Connors and D-lineman. Maybe we take another safety too or we just take the two best players we can get. Course if there are more decommit we will have to plug those holes.

I think you forgot the partridge in the pear tree!:rolleyes:

Been hearing that for 40 yeara

Big difference from the past 40 years and now.

Over the past 40 years,

#1 - we did not, for the most part, have an admin that supported cfb, like we have now.

#2 - we did not, have a fairly new outdoor, on campus, football stadium

#3 - we did not, have an 100+ million dollar Athletes Village to sell to recruits.

#4 - we did not, have a coach who went 13-1, the season before we hired him.

#5 - we did not, have a coach who was the hottest coach in the country when we hired him.

#6 - we did not, have a coach taking over a team that won NINE games the year before. And this is not even close.

So WHO GIVES A FRACK what you have supposedly been hearing the last 40 years????

I mean seriously, what you have heard over the previous 40 years is honestly, NOT RELEVANT!!!!!

They made it through spring practice without a mass exodus, so I would think that not many would transfer out after a year. Probably similar to a normal year amount of transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this. There will be transfers. We will go over 25 I think (guess)

I am interested to see how PJ will approach things moving forward with the class mostly filled. Does he keep recruiting our guys to keep them solid or start hunting around for higher tier guys. And then if one or a couple want to sign, does he quietly ask guys to decommit

I am interested to see how PJ will approach things moving forward with the class mostly filled. Does he keep recruiting our guys to keep them solid or start hunting around for higher tier guys. And then if one or a couple want to sign, does he quietly ask guys to decommit

Both of the first two for sure, there are still some pretty highly rated guys in the mix (Trevor Trout, Josh Walker, Craig Williams) that I think we are still after. Not sure of the last sentence...anyone's know PJF history at Western?

It is unbelievable that we have twenty three spots filled, and it is 7/31.

This class is looking like a solid three star class, and they are addressing positions of need.

It looks like the Gophers are looking for athletic nimble OTs to run their offensive schemes. Like somebody here in GH said they want solid interior OGs and nimble shifting OTs and blocking TEs.

Something's cooking in Ciarrocca's kitchen, and it isn't pitino alfredo.

It is unbelievable that we have twenty three spots filled, and it is 7/31.

This class is looking like a solid three star class, and they are addressing positions of need.

It looks like the Gophers are looking for athletic nimble OTs to run their offensive schemes. Like somebody here in GH said they want solid interior OGs and nimble shifting OTs and blocking TEs.

Something's cooking in Ciarrocca's kitchen, and it isn't pitino alfredo.

Fleck says he likes the tall lanky OTs, after looking at the top 100 OTs on 247, you don't see many guys 6'6"+ under 260 pounds. Just something I noticed for people raising an eyebrow at the low ratings of some of the OT commits.

I don't know how many slots are left and how they will fill them, but I think a couple more linemen, at least one on each side of the ball would be helpful.

Fleck says he likes the tall lanky OTs, after looking at the top 100 OTs on 247, you don't see many guys 6'6"+ under 260 pounds. Just something I noticed for people raising an eyebrow at the low ratings of some of the OT commits.

That's something that will likely change as Fleck continues to move the program forward and continue's to build the program's brand.

Agility is the thing he's likely looking for. Many players at the top of the OL rankings have it regardless of size, but then there's a split between the bigger road-graders and the more athletic linemen.

If Minnesota can crack into that top level of OL prospect recruiting, they'll bring in a bigger guy or two. Otherwise, it will probably be the leaner guys so they can mold them how they want to.

That's something that will likely change as Fleck continues to move the program forward and continue's to build the program's brand.

Agility is the thing he's likely looking for. Many players at the top of the OL rankings have it regardless of size, but then there's a split between the bigger road-graders and the more athletic linemen.

If Minnesota can crack into that top level of OL prospect recruiting, they'll bring in a bigger guy or two. Otherwise, it will probably be the leaner guys so they can mold them how they want to.

Also I gotta think if Ed finds a guy he thinks he can get... PJ would defer to Ed's thoughts on OL.

I don't know how many slots are left and how they will fill them, but I think a couple more linemen, at least one on each side of the ball would be helpful.

OG, DE, S and MLB would make my list...

I suspect he'd push people out

Top Bottom