How do we finish up recruiting?

John Galt

Reaction score
It's pretty unprecedented to have 19 commits in early July. I'm sure we'll have a few de-commits between now and February, but most of our class has already taken shape. We currently have 19 and are expected to sign 25. What are the current strengths of the class and where do we need to continue to focus...

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

QB - Brennan Armstrong (complete, great recruit, early enrollee)
RB - Bryce Williams, Nolan Edmonds (done)
WR - Jornell Manns, Rashod Bateman, and Erik Gibson (you would think we are complete after adding 3, but I bet we take 1 more if it's a highly regard recruit)
TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford (My guess is we still take an on-the-line blocking TE as well)
C - Nathan Boe (complete)
G - Austin Beier (1 more is needed)
OT - Jack York, Grant Norton (done)
DT - Elijah Teague, Logan Richter, Mayan Ahanotu (Ahanotu is already 250 so he probably ends up here. We're probably done at DT unless we can get a blue-chip recruit).
DE - Abi Okonji (we still need 1 more pass rushing DE in this class)
MLB - None (not sure who the targets are here)
OLB - Thomas Rush, Mariano Sori-Marin, probably Josh Aune (probably done unless they view Aune more as a safety)
CB - Benny Sapp, Terrell Smith, Shamaur McDowell, Tyrik Henderson (complete unless there is someone we can't say no to)
S - possibly Aune, otherwise none

Offensive tackle and safety seem to be the main areas of need at this point. This is normally where we are at in Dec/Jan, recruiting has a really different feel to it under Fleck.

If they sign 25 i assume they'll try to go with 2 tackles, 1 DB, 1 DT, 1 Rush End, and another WR/RB.

It's pretty unprecedented to have 19 commits in early July. I'm sure we'll have a few de-commits between now and February, but most of our class has already taken shape. We currently have 19 and are expected to sign 25. What are the current strengths of the class and where do we need to continue to focus...

RB - Bryce Williams (Nolan Edmonds de-committed but is now visiting for the BBQ. I bet we take 2 RB's in this class)
WR - Jornell Manns, Rashod Bateman, and Erik Gibson (you would think we are complete after adding 3, but I bet we take 1 more if it's a highly regard recruit)
TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford (My guess is we still take an on-the-line blocking TE as well)
OT - None (Josh Ezeudu is here for the BBQ on 7/29. My guess is he commits and we find 1 more. OT is really the only gap right now.)D
DT - Elijah Teague, Logan Richter, Mayan Ahanotu (Ahanotu is already 250 so he probably ends up here. We're probably done at DT unless we can get a blue-chip recruit).
OLB - Thomas Rush, Mariano Sori-Marin, probably Josh Aune (probably done unless they view Aune more as a safety)
CB - Benny Sapp, Terrell Smith, Shamaur McDowell, Tyrik Henderson (complete unless there is someone we can't say no to)

Offensive tackle and safety seem to be the main areas of need at this point. This is normally where we are at in Dec/Jan, recruiting has a really different feel to it under Fleck.

Appreciate the time you took to spell all this out. Totally agree with your assessments.

This is more about recruiting philosophy - but do you go after "best available player," or "best available player AT a specific position?"

I'm not quibbling with the layout of recruits as listed. Just wondering out loud - if the coaches have a chance to land a really good player - but he plays a position that already has good depth, do you turn down a good player because there may be a bigger need at another position? My gut tells me you run the risk of coming up empty - don't get someone at the position you want, and lose out on a potentially better player.

I would also be concerned about "reaching" for a player simply because he plays a position of need. i.e: Gophs need another DE, so they take a flyer on some 2-star guy who might pan out in the future - or might not.

My instinct says take the best players who want to be Gophers. If you wind up over-balanced at a particular position, you can always talk about a position swap down the line. Or, (gasp), even consider going after a JUCO to fill out a position of need.

RB - Bryce Williams (Nolan Edmonds de-committed but is now visiting for the BBQ. I bet we take 2 RB's in this class)
OT - None (Josh Ezeudu is here for the BBQ on 7/29. My guess is he commits and we find 1 more. OT is really the only gap right now.)D

Great post JG. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is more about recruiting philosophy - but do you go after "best available player," or "best available player AT a specific position?"

I'm not quibbling with the layout of recruits as listed. Just wondering out loud - if the coaches have a chance to land a really good player - but he plays a position that already has good depth, do you turn down a good player because there may be a bigger need at another position? My gut tells me you run the risk of coming up empty - don't get someone at the position you want, and lose out on a potentially better player.

I would also be concerned about "reaching" for a player simply because he plays a position of need. i.e: Gophs need another DE, so they take a flyer on some 2-star guy who might pan out in the future - or might not.

My instinct says take the best players who want to be Gophers. If you wind up over-balanced at a particular position, you can always talk about a position swap down the line. Or, (gasp), even consider going after a JUCO to fill out a position of need.

The beauty of having so many commitments this early is you can focus on top flight prospects regardless of position. We shouldn't have to reach for anyone.

Thanks John. Really great post. Appreciate it!

I think the thing about the safety position is that you can move CB recruits inside (depending on scheme of course). I'm less worried about that position than I am about the O-line.

PS--Kudos to you JG for your analysis of the current situation.

It would be nice to be lucky and get a couple of high caliber (high 3s or 4 stars) recruits who may be out of a spot for dilly dallying too long or from programs that over signed and had to jettison players.

The more we can edge up this year in the recruiting battle, the closer we are to the finally catapulting out of 5th in B1G West standings. Then on to bigger and better things.

The beauty of having so many commitments this early is you can focus on top flight prospects regardless of position. We shouldn't have to reach for anyone.

Agreed. Time to go big elephant hunting.

Maybe three or four commits out of these visitors. At least I am hoping. The OT, DT, WR, and APB in particular.

247 has cb's pointed our way for 5 of these visitors, including 3 very recent ones for Oliver, Walker and Williams. Add Ezeudu and Robinson to that and you are taking a LB, DT, scatback, OL and TE with one remaining schollie left after that.

Looks like we are hitting the IMG Academy pretty hard. Walk-on Brock Annexstad went there and it's considered a solid facility for athletes.

Also current commit Shamaur McDowell will be playing their this coming season. Facilities are incredible no doubt.

I just checked out IMG's website, out of curiosity. It costs $75,200, plus another $6K in fees to go there for football. That does include room and board.

If you want to go there just for high school and no boarding/sports, it's $19,600.

For context, Shattuck St. Mary's boarding tuition is $49,150 plus another ~$7K in fees for your average hockey player.

I just checked out IMG's website, out of curiosity. It costs $75,200, plus another $6K in fees to go there for football. That does include room and board.

If you want to go there just for high school and no boarding/sports, it's $19,600.

For context, Shattuck St. Mary's boarding tuition is $49,150 plus another ~$7K in fees for your average hockey player.

I presume many kids in sports get scholarships.

I presume many kids in sports get scholarships.

Yeah I'm curious about that. I'm not posting with any judgment/slant, just thought it was interesting.

The tuition page didn't mention anything about scholarships, and it really depends on their endowment as you aren't eligible for federal funds as a high school. I teach at a private school so it makes me curious about these things.

IMG is relatively new, IIRC they've gotten into football in the last ten years or so. I believe it got its start as an academy for leisure class sports: tennis, golf, swimming but I'm not going to google it right now. I would wager the wealthy families that send their kids to IMG have no trouble with the tuition. OTOH I'm not sure how it works for the kids of the 98%. I assume some of these kids don't come from wealthy backgrounds.

As far as scholarships...considering how many young people take six figure loans to pay for relatively worthless degrees it wouldn't surprise me if that part is glossed over or relatively ignored by the students. In addition, living through a historic housing bubble in CA made it abundantly clear the vast majority of adults have a total inability to make rational financial decisions. Denial and delusion are strong in these ones. Promises of pro sports riches can make some people make foolish decisions.

Are private lenders willing to foot loans for secondary students?? Genuine question.

Are private lenders willing to foot loans for secondary students?? Genuine question.

I gotta think the parents are the folks taking out the loans as the kids aren't going to be 18 for much of the time.

In that case it isn't so much a traditional school loan.

Top Bottom