Rey Estes, freshman QB from East St. Louis.

Ok, so name any Gopher QB who has been successful in the last 10 years? Maybe it is time to think outside the box.

I think the thread needs a spreadsheet of every 5'11" guy who has ever played CFB QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Okay you make a valid point, but they were great athletes. Hopefully young Mr. Estes becomes a Gopher great.

Doug Flutie was 5' 10" 180 lbs. Anything is possible if the kid has heart and the "It Factor". Time will tell and it will be a great storyline if he were to win the starting QB spot.

The greater likelihood is switching positions to CB as was suggested. Didn't Jerry Kill recruit a lot of HS QBs because they are usually the best athletes on most HS teams to play other positions?
Yup, but unfortunately, it turned out that was mostly irrelevant because all of his QBs fit that profile and none actually had B1G QB skills, or enough athletic skills to play another position. That may have worked for a run control offense at Southern Illinois, but eventually they would have even had problems with it at NIU. Did not work here at all.
I am still a JK fan, he cleaned up an absolute mess, but this part of the program was a big hole in the plan to advance the program.

At 5'10" a kid needs to be a terrific athlete and really have an instinct for the position, it also really forces a lot of the offense to happen outside of the pocket. I watched Randle El play for Indiana against us. Unbelievable athlete, but could not throw accurately while running. Our problem with him was always containment. Eventually our dlinemen just wore out chasing him around and he would have long enough to set while scrambling and find a guy open 30 yds down field seven seconds or more after the snap, or just start running and we had no one besides Dbacks who had any chance to tackle him in the open field.

At 5'10" a kid needs to be a terrific athlete and really have an instinct for the position, it also really forces a lot of the offense to happen outside of the pocket. I watched Randle El play for Indiana against us. Unbelievable athlete, but could not throw accurately while running. Our problem with him was always containment. Eventually our dlinemen just wore out chasing him around and he would have long enough to set while scrambling and find a guy open 30 yds down field seven seconds or more after the snap, or just start running and we had no one besides Dbacks who had any chance to tackle him in the open field.

Not that I'm saying he should or will play QB, but I would hope the coaches would take a look if he is half as athletic as Mr. Randle-El was. I know that Fleck isn't a big fan of playing more than one QB, but I think a dynamic QB such as a Randle-El in a wildcat role would really make it difficult for opponents to defend the Gopher offense.

Seeing that I haven't seen Mr. Estes play a down, I reserve the right to be totally wrong.

Guys...I was just really impressed with his film. More so than any other QB I've seen in the last several years that we've signed. Maybe check his tapes out again and give an opinion. As always, JMO.

It takes a pretty special QB to make it despite being 6 feet or less. Has to have either great anticipation or mobility or both. There are plenty of good examples of superb college QBs in that height range. And if a player is listed at 6 feet, he's less.

The reason given for ideal height being 6 foot 4 + is better sight lines and ability to throw shorter passes on a flatter and faster trajectory.

A large human head is about 9-10 inches from top to chin. The eyes are about halfway down, so in an NFLer 5 inches. The shoulders/trap muscles begin to extend laterally at about chin height and fall inferiorly with increasing distance from the spine.

So if a 6 foot 4 QBs eyes are at roughly the 5 foot 11 level that means to see over a lineman's head that lineman has to be 5 foot 11 or less. Of course offensive linemen bend their knees this dropping their total height about 3-4 inches. So they can now be 6 foot 3 or so. But, the QB also has a slight knee bend so that probably puts the upper limit at 6 foot 1.

Obviously there are no linemen that height, therefore no QB, except maybe Osweiler can see over a lineman's head. However, there are still the traps/shoulders/backs to see over. If the average lineman is 6 foot 5 and their knee bend drops them to 6 foot 1 and their traps begin at approximately the 5 foot 1 level that means a QBs eyes have to be at the same level or higher. As the eyes are roughly 4-5 inches from the top of the head that means a minimum QB height is 5 foot 6. Hmm. Seems like a shorter QB should be able to see over the shoulders.

However, there is still the issue of batted passes, and arm strength. In general, those d lineman are going to be anticipating passes and waiting for that opportunity to knock it down. Simple physics here. Same with arm strength.

Still, a QB that's elite level at anticipating where receivers will be, reading defenses, accurate while rolling out etc should be able to play, no question. Brees, Russell; in college Kellen Moore, etc

I'm in general agreement with you. I vote to forget the tall quarterbacks, we can find steals taking the otherwise highly talented short ones. We should then find the shortest, widest offensive lineman we can possibly get.

I'm in general agreement with you. I vote to forget the tall quarterbacks, we can find steals taking the otherwise highly talented short ones. We should then find the shortest, widest offensive lineman we can possibly get.

Now you're thinking :cool:

SpeaKing QB height, we had a notable recrui; IIRC we recruited Tony Poljan under Kill who was 6 foot 7 (listed). Claeys cut him loose after Kill retired. He may start at CMU this year - will be interesting to watch his career.

Top Bottom