Redoing Realignment: The SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 form 3 Super Conferences

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Saturday Down South:

The Big Ten adds Nebraska, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke

As the SEC grows stronger, the Big Ten can’t be outdone. Bring on the second super-conference. Notre Dame sees the value for its unilateral NBC deal diminishing. The ACC looks much less desirable. Business and common sense trump mutual wariness. Notre Dame joins the Big Ten. Nebraska hesitates a bit. Losing traditional rivals and recruiting ground access will be hard. The financial factor still wins out. The Big Ten still moves East. But, it goes farther south for a better cultural fit. Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke join the Big Ten.

The Big Ten can’t match the SEC’s excellence. But, college athletics is about branding power. In that respect, no conference can touch the Big Ten. Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame are three of the four biggest brands in college football. North Carolina and Duke are two of the three biggest in basketball. These aren’t broadcasting rights major entities can walk away from.

Where the deal nearly falls apart is organizing divisions. It’s near impossible to get balance. The B1G opts for four team pods. Teams play their three pod rivals every year. They play two teams in each other pod per year, alternating. Every team hits every opposing stadium within a four-year cycle. The pods look like this.

North: Mich, OSU, MSU, Minn

South: ND, NW, Ind, Pur

East: Penn St, UVA, Duke, UNC

West: Neb, Wisc, Iowa, Ill

bigten.png

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-sec-big-ten-pac-12-form-3-super-conferences/

Go Gophers!!

On what planet is MN not in the West in this scenario?

I was enjoying PJF being fired up and about the Twin Cities and the positivity surrounding Gopher Football.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?76825-Great-new-video-interview-with-Fleck-he-s-fired-up-about-the-Twin-Cities!

Now this kerfuffle about realignment. You've got to be kidding. OSU, Mich, MSU, and Minn in B1G North?

I think they should be with Wisc, Neb, and Iowa in the B1G West.

Greed and money will end up destroying the joy of college football except for a handful of teams.

We certainly don't want the Gophers to be anybody's proverbial doormat.

Those pods are just ridiculous. ND in a weak south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Maryland and Rutgers are spit out like watermelon seeds? Who else are they going to boot out of the B1G and be replaced with other super team?

Am I reading it wrong, or are they saying the Big 10 adds Nebraska in this scenario?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought we already had Nebraska.

Also, what happened to Rutgers and Maryland?

Is this article from 2003?

This article was dumb... however I do think the big 12 and maybe Acc should just get absorbed into the other 3 it'd be interesting to see who went where then have 3 champs n a wild card (could not be a conf championship loser imo they got their shot) as a final 4.... or I guess we could keep the Acc around [emoji849] but the big 12 gotta go. We'll take Texas n Oklahoma the sec can keep the rest [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a previous post, I looked at the next round of college football realignment. It only made sense to write a companion thought experiment, reevaluating the last round of realignment. If we went back to 2010 and every conference got a do-over

No, it didn't make sense at all. Young Barikmo would do a better job than this pod person Duffy. Duffy needs to brush up on geography, or at the very least brush up on rivalries. My brain has been assimilated attempting to get through that.

If you are going nuts then go to 20. Put Goperers, Wisky, Iowa, Nebraska, and NW together. Keep MD and Rutgers. Add Mizzou, KY, and WV to the mix too. Maybe we add Mizzou and not NW.

I figure that there will end up being four power conferences. I also think B-Ball plays more of a role in realignment than gets reported. Of course the schools need to fit academically as well...B1G has done a fairly good job there.

In this scenario it should be
MN, WI, IA, NE
Penn St, UVA, UNC, Duke
MI, MI St, NW, ILL
OSU, ND, IN, Purdue

"So the B1G would get out of the NY and DC markets to make this scenario happen. That makes great business sense!!" - No one ever

"So the B1G would get out of the NY and DC markets to make this scenario happen. That makes great business sense!!" - No one ever

Yeah, that is certainly true. The B1G has shown that there is one thing that will lead it to expansion - and that is $$$$.

I could see them adding two of Virginia, UNC or Duke (or BC or Syracuse...) if any or all were interested. New territory, highly populated states, good recruiting, etc. Makes a lot of sense.

But I don't see the ACC going anywhere. They have a pretty lucrative TV contract so there isn't nearly the incentive there was. Plus the $50 million (if I remember right) cost to exit the conference.

As much as I don't want to say it, Texas would be a game changer for the B1G. BTN on every TV in the state of TX? Yes please. Do I want them as a school to be part of the B1G? Heck no, but I could easily see it happening.

But then the eternal question of who the other school is. Notre Dame? As the ACC isn't going anywhere and they have such a sweetheart deal there I would say it's unlikely. Plus I just don't see the B1G adding enough revenue to make sense of it since they essentially add zero TV's (OK, maybe B1G games get higher ratings, but enough to squeeze another $56 million out of Fox and ESPN? I doubt it). Kansas? Same question - does adding all the TV's in Kansas (and some in KC, MO) really increase revenue enough to justify them? Oklahoma isn't a member of the AAU, so unless the B1G makes an exception they're out (not to mention fewer TVs than Kansas).

Also, I think the Big 12 is in better shape than people want to believe. Apparently most teams are making pretty decent money selling their own rights...

I never understood adding Penn State (only because it made 11 teams). I was thrilled to add Nebraska. Maryland and Rutgers were a big "Huh?". I'll be interested to see when or if the B1G makes a move who is involved. It could be two teams out of left field, too.

I saw the ACC as vulnerable before they added Louisville and the best of the old Big East. Now they are solid and are not going anywhere.

The Big 12 might seem like the most vulnerable with their having the least # of schools, but they have Texas, and does anyone really want Kansas or KSU or Oklahoma or Oklahoma St?

I honestly don't see much movement happening within the Power 5 conferences. The ACC may not be dominant in football but they are very solid in bb. If they were smart, the Big 12 would take in Cincy and another school with lots of potential like maybe a Memphis?

And UConn might get looks? Although with their mens bb struggling, I wonder if they bring enough to the table for the P5 conferences? I think the B1G would love to expand into Boston, but I don't see BC leaving the ACC and I don't think BU has football?

Texas might be the only school they might like to add, but UT is a lot like ND, they want too much. It's not like the B1G is desperate. lol

Top Bottom