Great new video interview with Fleck - he's fired up about the Twin Cities!

Anyone see gopherhole and Pat's twitter interaction on twitter yesterday? I can't post it from work. Maybe someone else can.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's up to gopherhole.com but feeding the full time media trolls isn't what i'd like to see from them.

Thanks. I thought it was funny.

Gotta say, Fleck>>Brew in the video energy wars. But, if you want some better bring some > ball is the program.

No kidding, huh? I'm very surprised by that. And what was he supposed to say? "Kalamazoo sucks hard and I'm counting the seconds until I can get out of here"?

You are right. Whether he felt that way or not, that is the only thing he could have said. Just like now - who knows if he means it about MN. Honestly, I don't care either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. Whether he felt that way or not, that is the only thing he could have said. Just like now - who knows if he means it about MN. Honestly, I don't care either.

Good to know

In case the video posted by the OP didn't work for you (didn't for me):

I still can't believe we were able to hire this guy.

Seriously - if the Gophers had hired a different coach, the vast majority of posters would be supporting that coach, too.

Yes, Fleck is different in his energy level and presentation, and that may be why he seems to generate such passionate support (and the occasional non-believer). But, most new coaches get some kind of a honeymoon. Brewster had supporters at the beginning. with Kill, it took a while but most fans grew to like and support Kill.

So, I don't think there is anything unique about fans being excited about a new coach. Fans, by nature, are optimists. We want to believe the team is going to have a good year. We want to believe that the new coach (whoever it is) is going to be "the one" who will lead the program to glory. If we didn't believe, we wouldn't buy tickets and merchandise, go to the games or watch them on TV.

I think the reason people can't believe it is because:

1. He was probably Coyle's #1 choice.

2. He was a "hot" commodity at the time.

I wonder about this. His name showed up in very vague media reports but nothing really indicated he had a real shot at a job better than MN.

That's not a knock on PJ, I hope he shows up all those schools, I just don't know what makes a hot commodity sometimes when all there is are rumors and no real solid info on the guy getting good job offers.

I wonder about this. His name showed up in very vague media reports but nothing really indicated he had a real shot at a job better than MN.

That's not a knock on PJ, I hope he shows up all those schools, I just don't know what makes a hot commodity sometimes when all there is are rumors and no real solid info on the guy getting good job offers.

Questioning sources now? Would you maybe call it fake news?

Hey, if I learned anything from the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", it was Mike Damone's 5 point plan....

Pay close attention to step # 3..... Coach Fleck is living it.

I think the reason people can't believe it is because:

1. He was probably Coyle's #1 choice.

He received zero other offers. Oh yeah, he didn't want those and withdrew......

Were you his Agent?

I'm curious how you know this.

Well, I am making some assumptions. Typically when someone is offered and declines it leaks to the press. Think of Brady Hoke here (and ignore the U affiliates that still claim he was never offered). I guess it is possible that Purdue, Cincinnati, Oregon, etc. all pursued PJF and even that he was offered by some/all - but somehow it never leaked out - but I don't believe that for a second. I also don't buy the "he made it known he didn't want those jobs" theory that others on here posted in the past to somehow explain how on God's green earth PJF didn't get another job. Whether they didn't have the necessary $ (Cincy), or they had other candidates they liked more (OU, PU), I don't believe he was ever offered those jobs. I just don't see how in this day in age that wouldn't have become known at some point.

Personally, I am very glad he came here. I'm delighted he is our coach. I don't believe he was the red hot candidate for every job out there tho like some do. There are likely 4-5 others who agree with me.

TL;DR

He has no idea what he's talking about

Seriously - if the Gophers had hired a different coach, the vast majority of posters would be supporting that coach, too.

Yes, Fleck is different in his energy level and presentation, and that may be why he seems to generate such passionate support (and the occasional non-believer). But, most new coaches get some kind of a honeymoon. Brewster had supporters at the beginning. with Kill, it took a while but most fans grew to like and support Kill.

So, I don't think there is anything unique about fans being excited about a new coach. Fans, by nature, are optimists. We want to believe the team is going to have a good year. We want to believe that the new coach (whoever it is) is going to be "the one" who will lead the program to glory. If we didn't believe, we wouldn't buy tickets and merchandise, go to the games or watch them on TV.

Fans being excite about a new coach isn't unique. Though it sure appears from some of the constant back and forth about Fleck on this board a segment of the fan base doesn't want there to be any sort of honeymoon period for this new coach.

Do we know which 8 schools were on Fleck's list? Is it not possible that schools called and Fleck or agent said "we have no interest"? In cases like these there would be no offer to leak to media.

Do we know which 8 schools were on Fleck's list? Is it not possible that schools called and Fleck or agent said "we have no interest"? In cases like these there would be no offer to leak to media.

I'm sure that could have happened with some schools. Maybe Cincy, for example. I said he didn't get any other offers - not that no other school would have had interest. I'm sure a number of lesser programs would have had great interest in PJF and he could have said thanks/no thanks. I also firmly believe that both Purdue and Oregon had no interest - or at least that he was further down their list. No indication of anything to the contrary except for assumptions here on GH. I also believe he would have had interest in talking with either.

That's all fine..... their loss & our gain. Just not sure why people continue to insist he was some hot commodity that we somehow convinced to choose us over a host of suitors?

"Assumptions here on GH" made it to a USA Today article in December:
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/94825382/

This is obviously fake news and PJ was wanted by no other schools like Spoofin said obviously.

Purdue seemed indifferent to Fleck from the start of its brief search before hiring Jeff Brohm.

In truth, Fleck, a Midwesterner, fit Oregon better stylistically than geographically, and vice versa with the Purdue coaching graveyard, all of which makes Minnesota clearly the softest landing spot of the three.

"Fleck has a chance to win now at Minnesota, without the dramatic arc he and Western Michigan crafted after going 1-11 in their first season together, 2013."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2017/01/pj_fleck_act_moves_to_minnesot.html

Most Universities only "offer" the job to the coach who accepts it.
Brohm might not have been Purdue's first choice, but it was their first "offer".
Pitino was probably our first "offer" as basketball coach. As Kill was probably our first "offer" as well. "Offer" being a written contract handed over in person to the eventual hire to be signed.

I can't believe we got Fleck for a couple reasons.

1. That we moved on from a coach who maybe had won some games but didn't seem like the right long term solution for the AD.
2. That the AD made an unpopular decision for many fans to move forward.
3. That with all of the turmoil around the program at the time and the President, and the AD, etc., that they were able to land their number one choice. (I think we can all agree that Fleck was the #1 choice by how fast it happened and how the timing took place with Claey's firing being in sync with Fleck's bowl game.
4. Fleck is such an improvement in inspiration and enthusiasm over any other coach we've had.

It's really astounding.

After we get through the next two years of rebuilding and establishing a new culture, maybe a 4-8 season and a 2-10 season, I'm anxious to see where he can take us. One thing we learned from other head coaches, we need to be patient like we were with Kill.

Purdue seemed indifferent to Fleck from the start of its brief search before hiring Jeff Brohm.

In truth, Fleck, a Midwesterner, fit Oregon better stylistically than geographically, and vice versa with the Purdue coaching graveyard, all of which makes Minnesota clearly the softest landing spot of the three.

"Fleck has a chance to win now at Minnesota, without the dramatic arc he and Western Michigan crafted after going 1-11 in their first season together, 2013."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2017/01/pj_fleck_act_moves_to_minnesot.html

I just linked to article that suggested that he was their top option but they could be wrong I guess.

I also member reading that he wasn't interested in talking to teams until after the Cotton bowl and I also don't believe it was an accident that Minnesota waited to fire Claeys until after the Cotton Bowl. There was rumors on message boards that Coyle wanted Fleck as early as mid December.

I also don't think Oregon would have hired Fleck no matter what they seemed dead set on Taggert.

Top Bottom