Great new video interview with Fleck - he's fired up about the Twin Cities!

Most Universities only "offer" the job to the coach who accepts it.
Brohm might not have been Purdue's first choice, but it was their first "offer".
Pitino was probably our first "offer" as basketball coach. As Kill was probably our first "offer" as well. "Offer" being a written contract handed over in person to the eventual hire to be signed.

I can't believe we got Fleck for a couple reasons.

1. That we moved on from a coach who maybe had won some games but didn't seem like the right long term solution for the AD.
2. That the AD made an unpopular decision for many fans to move forward.
3. That with all of the turmoil around the program at the time and the President, and the AD, etc., that they were able to land their number one choice. (I think we can all agree that Fleck was the #1 choice by how fast it happened and how the timing took place with Claey's firing being in sync with Fleck's bowl game.
4. Fleck is such an improvement in inspiration and enthusiasm over any other coach we've had.

It's really astounding.

After we get through the next two years of rebuilding and establishing a new culture, maybe a 4-8 season and a 2-10 season, I'm anxious to see where he can take us. One thing we learned from other head coaches, we need to be patient like we were with Kill.

Don't forget the fact the poster claiming he had 0 other "offers" was also claiming that the Gophers would sign seven players and 25+ players would transfer. He clearly didn't think we could get Fleck either.

Purdue seemed indifferent to Fleck from the start of its brief search before hiring Jeff Brohm.

In truth, Fleck, a Midwesterner, fit Oregon better stylistically than geographically, and vice versa with the Purdue coaching graveyard, all of which makes Minnesota clearly the softest landing spot of the three.

"Fleck has a chance to win now at Minnesota, without the dramatic arc he and Western Michigan crafted after going 1-11 in their first season together, 2013."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2017/01/pj_fleck_act_moves_to_minnesot.html

The article you linked proves nothing. The one JB linked proves something. Interesting how that works. I also remember the last time this discussion came up on here months ago that JB linked some article to 'prove' PJF was PU's top choice and the article said right in the middle that Brohm was. Funny. I just did a Google search and found a Hammer & Nails article that claimed sources say Brohm is top choice, not PJF or Calhoun - but again, I am sure USA Today is the only one that matters or knew the truth. I'm trying to live a JB Free Life so will not take my search any further. If folks want to believe this is PJF's dream job, the only one he wanted, was willing to take a pay cut to come here, etc. - they can go ahead.

The article you linked proves nothing. The one JB linked proves something. Interesting how that works. I also remember the last time this discussion came up on here months ago that JB linked some article to 'prove' PJF was PU's top choice and the article said right in the middle that Brohm was. Funny. I just did a Google search and found a Hammer & Nails article that claimed sources say Brohm is top choice, not PJF or Calhoun - but again, I am sure USA Today is the only one that matters or knew the truth. I'm trying to live a JB Free Life so will not take my search any further. If folks want to believe this is PJF's dream job, the only one he wanted, was willing to take a pay cut to come here, etc. - they can go ahead.

I'm going to focus on the "win now" part...

Brohm might not have been Purdue's first choice, but it was their first "offer".
Pitino was probably our first "offer" as basketball coach. As Kill was probably our first "offer" as well. "Offer" being a written contract handed over in person to the eventual hire to be signed.

1. That we moved on from a coach who maybe had won some games but didn't seem like the right long term solution for the AD.
3. That with all of the turmoil around the program at the time and the President, and the AD, etc., that they were able to land their number one choice. (I think we can all agree that Fleck was the #1 choice by how fast it happened and how the timing took place with Claey's firing being in sync with Fleck's bowl game.
4. Fleck is such an improvement in inspiration and enthusiasm over any other coach we've had.

It's really astounding.

After we get through the next two years of rebuilding and establishing a new culture, maybe a 4-8 season and a 2-10 season, I'm anxious to see where he can take us. One thing we learned from other head coaches, we need to be patient like we were with Kill.

Jokes are funny.

It's really astounding.

Poor troll attempt. He walked into a win now opportunity. Pretty sure if he takes a 9-4 team to 6 wins in two years he will be in trouble and his rep will be seriously damaged. National and local media will be relentless. Can't believe you want him to fail.

It's really astounding.

1, 2 and 3 are pretty spot on. 4 not so much. He's right up there, but Holtz, Wacker and Brewster were all just as inspirational and enthusiastic. The last paragraph is nonsense. As PJF has stated himself, the buy in from current team was great. The teams academic performance last semester was better and it was already in a great place before he arrived. No reason to believe he can't do the same thing or keep it similar with the team record this season and continue to build off of that in the years to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of coaches play games with the job-search process. Some coaches and agents like to float their name out as a job candidate to boost their profile. Other coaches want to keep things quiet because they Don't want to tick people off at their current school (just in case things fall thru and they wind up staying put.)

And, as noted, there are job feelers, and there are formal offers, and sometimes it's hard to tell one from the other.
In the end, only the Coach, their agent, and the AD's know the truth. And they may not always tell the truth....

A lot of coaches play games with the job-search process. Some coaches and agents like to float their name out as a job candidate to boost their profile. Other coaches want to keep things quiet because they Don't want to tick people off at their current school (just in case things fall thru and they wind up staying put.)

And, as noted, there are job feelers, and there are formal offers, and sometimes it's hard to tell one from the other.
In the end, only the Coach, their agent, and the AD's know the truth. And they may not always tell the truth....

I'm shocked! He did say he took less than WMU was "offering"* to come here...

Top Bottom