Former Gopher Damien Wilson arrested for aggravated assault with deadly weapon

Can you tell us how many years you lived in the Deep South for? Because I think it's vital info.

You do realize that the South is still, in essence, segregated, yes? Outside of the major, major cities, all the white kids pretty much go to the private schools and the black kids go to the underfunded city schools. The white people live on a certain side of town and cross the tracks (yes, I'm serious) and it's the "black side of town."

I covered high school and college sports in Georgia for a couple years. When I was down there (in the last decade), one of the schools in my coverage area had it's FIRST UNSEGREGATED PROM. It was huge national news. All over CNN. Well into the 2000s, the school had been having the official school prom - which all the black kids attended - and then the white students were throwing their own "unofficial white prom". This is one example out of hundreds.

So again, still feel comfortable throwing around remarks because you can't believe one of us would mention race when discussing the South, crime, cops and courts??

All the white kids in the South go to private schools? Not so much.

You continue to miss the point people are trying to get you see.
1. You keep saying that you want the facts before making judgement, but you have jumped to more conclusions w/o fact than anyone else in this thread (race, quarters vs gun, cops, etc.). Few or none are debating the process should be allowed to play out - but you are the biggest offender of not waiting for it to play out (despite being the one demanding that others let it).
2. Few or none would debate racism exists, but you turned this into a wide stretching discussion only because you were called out for declaring it was a factor in this DW57 incident, despite there being no facts to support that (see point 1 above). Pivot.

You aren't part of the solution to the problem you are preaching about - not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

So if only 6% of the public school student population in the county I worked was white, would that qualify as "pretty much all the white kids go to private school"?

http://publicschoolsk12.com/all-schools/ga/dougherty-county/

Let me know. I can't really move forward with life until you okay it.

Dougherty County is 67% black, 30% white. So the 6% number you're quoting is low, but it's not as low when you consider only 30% of the general population is white.

We've gotten pretty far from the start of this.

Bottom line - a guy got into a fender-bender, got into a beef with the other person, and apparently pulled a rifle out of his car.

If I did that, this board would be saying "Geez, Shorty, how can you do something that stupid?"

That's what I say to Damien Wilson - "Geez, man - you're a pro FB player. You've got the world by the balls compared to most people. how can you do something that stupid?"

Yes, he's an ex-Gopher. yes, he was a good player for the Gophers. That doesn't mean he can't do something stupid. That doesn't mean he didn't do something stupid. Black, white, green, doesn't matter. You get into a fender-bender, and pull a rifle out of your car, that's stupid.

But I guess we shouldn't be saying it was necessarily stupid without all the info. Texas is a Castle Doctrine state.

Generally speaking, if you are legally able to be somewhere and you are in danger of being murdered (kidnapped, robbed, etc.) you have a right to protect yourself. They have a much lower threshold on "implied threat of deadly force", in other words brandishing a rifle. If Damien Wilson thought one of the others involved was armed or they threatened bodily harm he may have had a right to brandish his rifle (though I suppose technically even if he had a right to, unless he legitimately was in peril for his life, if he did brandish his rifle you could argue it was stupid even if legal).

But even that's assuming ANY of this is true. Just because a couple people said he did this doesn't make it so. He may have looked at his car, they saw a rifle and took it as a threat. Maybe he was actually going to a gun show nearby. Maybe he grabbed it to see if it had been damaged. Maybe a deer was coming right at him (South Park reference). Maybe he never even grabbed the rifle. Maybe the cops planted the rifle (since they're all crooked, obviously). Maybe there was no rifle.

Let the process work itself through. I admit, odds are that it was as simple as it sounds and he did something dumb. But I also think it's prudent to hear his side of the story before jumping to conclusions.

But I guess we shouldn't be saying it was necessarily stupid without all the info. Texas is a Castle Doctrine state.

Generally speaking, if you are legally able to be somewhere and you are in danger of being murdered (kidnapped, robbed, etc.) you have a right to protect yourself. They have a much lower threshold on "implied threat of deadly force", in other words brandishing a rifle. If Damien Wilson thought one of the others involved was armed or they threatened bodily harm he may have had a right to brandish his rifle (though I suppose technically even if he had a right to, unless he legitimately was in peril for his life, if he did brandish his rifle you could argue it was stupid even if legal).

But even that's assuming ANY of this is true. Just because a couple people said he did this doesn't make it so. He may have looked at his car, they saw a rifle and took it as a threat. Maybe he was actually going to a gun show nearby. Maybe he grabbed it to see if it had been damaged. Maybe a deer was coming right at him (South Park reference). Maybe he never even grabbed the rifle. Maybe the cops planted the rifle (since they're all crooked, obviously). Maybe there was no rifle.

Let the process work itself through. I admit, odds are that it was as simple as it sounds and he did something dumb. But I also think it's prudent to hear his side of the story before jumping to conclusions.

But I just bought this....

office_space_kit_mat-213x325.jpg

So if only 6% of the public school student population in the county I worked was white, would that qualify as "pretty much all the white kids go to private school"?

http://publicschoolsk12.com/all-schools/ga/dougherty-county/

Let me know. I can't really move forward with life until you okay it.

I've lived in Atlanta for 12 years. I have four children. All are in the public school system. I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

WriterGoph I have family in North Carolina, the county my sister lives in, is just under 69% white single race and just under 19% black single race. There are no private schools in the county so where do the white kids go to school? When you say the South, you paint with a very broad brush, there are pockets were segregation still exists, but it isn't universally true throughout the the South.

You continue to miss the point people are trying to get you see.
1. You keep saying that you want the facts before making judgement, but you have jumped to more conclusions w/o fact than anyone else in this thread (race, quarters vs gun, cops, etc.). Few or none are debating the process should be allowed to play out - but you are the biggest offender of not waiting for it to play out (despite being the one demanding that others let it).
2. Few or none would debate racism exists, but you turned this into a wide stretching discussion only because you were called out for declaring it was a factor in this DW57 incident, despite there being no facts to support that (see point 1 above). Pivot.

You aren't part of the solution to the problem you are preaching about - not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading WriterGoph's posts, he isn't going to get it. It is a regurgitation of things he saw on the Samantha Bee show on TBS. It's the stuff that holds up well in a freshmen sociology class, but is nothing but silly in a common sense environment. Let him have his day.

Top Bottom