Former Gopher Damien Wilson arrested for aggravated assault with deadly weapon

I love how this poster starts with a "quick to judgment" and then declares that without any proof that it is because Wilson is black. What a moron.

Not just because he is black, but also because all cops are crooked. He is all about facts first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the white guy from Ely. You are a beauty.

The "white guy " in Ely has spent a lot of time South of the Mason- Dixon. Believe me, " southern hospitality" only goes so far Les. I could give you a dozen examples of " not to cool" , but I'm sure it would fall on deaf ears.

Not just because he is black, but also because all cops are crooked. He is all about facts first.

Is that really what I said? Really?

I don't think it's close. I said given the types of issues we have seen in recent years with race and cops, you'd think it would be wise to hold off judgement. That's it.

I never said "all cops are crooked", but if you can say that you completely trust police - and their reports - these days, you'd have to be living in a small town. Sh*t, my father was an assistant district attorney in Hennepin County when I was younger and even he told me that police should not be trusted just because they are police. Nothing to do with race.

As far as race, do you honestly want to tell us that you dont believe it's a factor in how police interact with citizens or in how courts handle cases?? Is that why the prison population in America is heavily weighted to minorities over White people (like myself)?

Surely you don't actually believe that minorities really commit 4-5 times as many crimes as whites? So again, to say race is 100% not a factor is a bit naive

As far as race, do you honestly want to tell us that you dont believe it's a factor in how police interact with citizens or in how courts handle cases?? Is that why the prison population in America is heavily weighted to minorities over White people (like myself)?

Surely you don't actually believe that minorities really commit 4-5 times as many crimes as whites? So again, to say race is 100% not a factor is a bit naive

Holy crap - This is what we call a moving target. We aren't talking about social injustice in America - we are talking about DW57. You say you want the facts first, then declare a few things as fact w/o proof - including that race was a factor - and when called out change your argument to how police interact with different citizens and races across the country, prison stats, and how it can't be 100% <b>ruled out </b>in this case. Who said it could? Who are you even arguing with? You are just moving the target is all. Very transparent.

Wow. Quick to judgement aren't we? With that little blurb, you were able to make a determination of guilt? Impressive.

Because the police have never arrested and charged a black guy in Texas (or America) and later seen those charges fall off, right?

I wonder why the Cowboys didn't already cut him? I mean, he was charged and he's black, so he's obviously guilty (sarcasm).

Or you could be a reasonable person and wait until more details come out - or even better - until the legal system plays out.

I'm predicting he is on the Cowboys this year.

Well thought-out

I don't think it's close. I said given the types of issues we have seen in recent years with race and cops, you'd think it would be wise to hold off judgement. That's it.

I never said "all cops are crooked", but if you can say that you completely trust police - and their reports - these days, you'd have to be living in a small town. Sh*t, my father was an assistant district attorney in Hennepin County when I was younger and even he told me that police should not be trusted just because they are police. Nothing to do with race.

Are you saying that if Damien Wilson was white, and if the charges are true, he wouldn't have been arrested?

Can we lay off the guy? So he got mad as somebody at a nightclub, send him to anger management and give him a suspended sentence.

Are you saying that if Damien Wilson was white, and if the charges are true, he wouldn't have been arrested?

Nope, how would I know that? But please tell me that black people aren't treated any differently in this country by police than whites.

All I'm saying - and how this whole thing started - is it might be wise to get past Day 1 of an investigation before people start calling Wilson an "idiot" - especially considering at that point of the thread we had little to no info other than the charges.

What I am saying is that I will almost always give the civilian the benefit of the doubt when I read about a case like this. Remember, it's supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty" in the USA? So yes, I took umbrage with it when I see some posters passing judgement with so few details. Charges do not always equal truth. Charges definitely don't equal a conviction many times.

Do I think that police may be quicker to make an arrest and file charges when there is a black person with a gun in the South than above the Mason-Dixon line? F--K YES. Do I think if the complainant is white in said situation that it might multiply chances for an arrest/charges exponentially? ABSOLUTELY. Unless you have lived in the Deep South, nobody can really say that they understand how it works down there.

Have I lived in the South? Yes. Was I there when this took place? NO. Do I know the racial makeup of the other parties in this incident? NO.

Am I glad for Damien Wilson that he has money and will be able to afford an actual competent lawyer? TOTALLY.

Again, I don't know how this investigation/case will play out. I am not saying it happened just because he was black. I simply figured that we have all seen enough crazy stuff by the police that we shouldn't be blinded by one side of the story so quickly.

Pretty much, yes. And you stereotype again in the next sentence. See below:

What does any of that have to do with Damien Wilson?Do you know the race of the arresting officer?

Gasp, you mean I can't trust everyone I run into on the street? Alert the press! As a DA your dad trusted...what groups of people, exactly? I'm genuinely curious. Criminals? Asians? Females?I was under the assumption nobody can be taken at their word. I was way off! Just the police.

Are you saying the prison system should only accept prisoners in ratios in accordance with their population percentage?

If that's what good statistics show then yes, I believe that. If that makes you uncomfortable then I'm sorry, I don't know how to comfort you, If there were waves of crime rolling through the suburbs we'd hear about it. Yet most of the murders in Chicago, Baltimore seem to be in the inner cities where minorities make up the bulk of the poulation. Is this all made up? I guess those murders and other crimes are fake news, hmm? .

Nope, how would I know that? But please tell me that black people aren't treated any differently in this country by police than whites.

All I'm saying - and how this whole thing started - is it might be wise to get past Day 1 of an investigation before people start calling Wilson an "idiot" - especially considering at that point of the thread we had little to no info other than the charges.

What I am saying is that I will almost always give the civilian the benefit of the doubt when I read about a case like this. Remember, it's supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty" in the USA? So yes, I took umbrage with it when I see some posters passing judgement with so few details. Charges do not always equal truth. Charges definitely don't equal a conviction many times.

Do I think that police may be quicker to make an arrest and file charges when there is a black person with a gun in the South than above the Mason-Dixon line? F--K YES. Do I think if the complainant is white in said situation that it might multiply chances for an arrest/charges exponentially? ABSOLUTELY. Unless you have lived in the Deep South, nobody can really say that they understand how it works down there.

Have I lived in the South? Yes. Was I there when this took place? NO. Do I know the racial makeup of the other parties in this incident? NO.

Am I glad for Damien Wilson that he has money and will be able to afford an actual competent lawyer? TOTALLY.

Again, I don't know how this investigation/case will play out. I am not saying it happened just because he was black. I simply figured that we have all seen enough crazy stuff by the police that we shouldn't be blinded by one side of the story so quickly.

Priceless. Really.

Your name fits perfectly. Are you seriously trying to say that there is no meaning to the racial disparity in the prison systems?? Wow.

Maybe start by watching "The 13th". It was up for Best Documentary at the Oscars this year. I'd be happy to give you numerous other docs and books on the subject.

This country is only 13% black, yet there are 5.1 times more blacks in prison than white people. And you don't think there is something wrong with our system? No matter what you want to argue, those number don't add up. I'm gonna just pray that you are just picking internet fights and do not actually live in a bubble where you are actually this oblivious.

Writer Goph, because I'm curious about your solid theories on crime I'd like to know your thoughts on why men are found to commit ~80% of violent crime and ~2/3 of property crime? Is this a result of feminist infiltration of our courts, juries, and district attorney offices? Is gender socialization to blame? Are crimes by women going uninvestigated? Culture seems to be important on our football team. Could culture be important in behavior outside of a football team? No, surely this is all a result of systemic feminism.

Why do young people commit more crime than old people? Surely this all a result of systemic ageism. Never trust anyone over 30 WriterGoph.

In all seriousness, the cultural issues and poverty issues at the root of these problems are not easy issues for you or I to solve. Surely prejudicial behavior is endemic to the human species. That will never change. Engaging in making prejudicial statements in the same breath you decry prejudice is absurd.

How about arguing each case on its merits rather than making knee jerk statements about race? How about working towards improving public defender numbers and pay? That is one example of a productive path rather than ripping on cops. There are many others.

I love this board...so much entertainment! It's like watching a tennis match...oh good shot (point), great return (counter point), what a volley! Hope this doesn't go into the off topic board as I rarely venture there.

Carry on! :drink:

More details, per WFFA:

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Damien Wilson was arrested for two counts aggravated assault with a deadly weapon Tuesday night in Frisco, according to Frisco police.

Wilson was arrested near Toyota Stadium, where Frisco's "Freedom Fest" Fourth of July celebration took place. A media release sent Wednesday afternoon said Wilson "intentionally backed his truck into a female while parking, then brandished a rifle at another man."

He was booked into the Frisco jail but posted $10,000 bond for each count and was released.

http://www.kare11.com/news/cowboys-lb-damien-wilson-arrested-for-aggravated-assault/454438516

Go Gophers!!

I thought "Brandish a rifle" was the state motto in Texas

Dude, the article has a link to the police report that says he waved a gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought "Brandish a rifle" was the state motto in Texas

I was always under the impression that if you waved a gun around in public in the Lone Star State, you received a medal and a gift certificate to a gun range.

Spoofin, now just in the last few hours, there have been multiple tweets and stories saying different things ranging from a "roll of quarters" to a "rifle". So obviously, we need to wait and let the facts come to the surface.

My point with this whole thing was, it's a little quick to be writing our former captain off as "an idiot" so early in this story. Just seems this fanbase - out of all others - should have learned a bit of patience. Or wait, is Reggie Lynch still a rapist because that's what the initial news story implied? Or even better, Antoine Winfield had to be running a train because he was on the EOAA report?

Tell me my point doesn't make sense. And then go back to referring to every player by your lil' initials and numbers. Because you seem much better at that than understanding the difference between a freakin' first-run news story and an actual conviction.

All hail, King Spoofin! In this kingdom, if it makes the internet, then clearly 100% of every word or allegation is true. After all, why would someone print something that hadn't even sniffed a court room or a trial?

Well it was reported yesterday morning that the police report stated he brandished a rifle...

I just went and re-read that story again. Literally ZERO details about what took place.

The fact that we have people on this board who make determinations of guilt from a headline or just based on police charges is VERY troubling - but makes perfect sense when you think about how each of the Gophers who went through that suspension crap were automatically charged, convicted and crucified just because they got erroneously included in a EOAA report.

Hey, they're black and someone said they did something questionable? After all the unbelievable police behavior in this country since the country's inception, you'd think every person would be wary of taking the cops at their words just because they're cops.

FIFY

Note: Not a comment on the many good, just the bad.

To: WriterGoph Many have raised this question. Not worth the effort. My experience is most on this board will only double down on their original viewpoint. Whatever that viewpoint may be.

FIFY

Note: Not a comment on the many good, just the bad.

To: WriterGoph Many have raised this question. Not worth the effort. My experience is most on this board will only double down on their original viewpoint. Whatever that viewpoint may be.

I know a couple for sure...pivot, bob and weave, massage.

Well it was reported yesterday morning that the police report stated he brandished a rifle...

To be fair, when I was reading the early links that were posted yesterday, the ones I clicked on didn't have details yet. Then I saw the info about the "roll of quarters". So, my fault for not taking the time to read each link, but I think my original point still stands: regardless of a police report, I will choose to wait to see how it plays out when Damien and his lawyer have their day in court. As I have said numerous times, I've personally experienced and witnessed plenty of times where police just throw charges against the wall and figure that something might stick. Honestly, they love doing that because the more charges filed means that when it comes time to plea bargain (especially with people who can't afford a good lawyer), the defendant feels like they are getting a deal when the DA offers to throw out 3 of 4 charges if said defendant will just plea guilty to one charge. But in reality, only one of the 4 charges actually had any kind of legitimacy in the first place.

If anybody on this board doesn't see how this is a deeply flawed system that is heavily weighted toward those who are educated and have money, that's really troubling. America's prison system is a business, unfortunately, that thrives on getting those who can't afford to defend themselves or don't fully understand their rights/options (which for so many huge reasons means a high percentage of minorities as compared to whites) into our prison system, which remains extremely hard to recover from once you're put in there.

60 Minutes just did a piece on how the public defender (I think in Chicago?) was literally not taking cases that carried life or long sentences because they knew they were understaffed and that innocent people were going to prison for decades because the office set up to defend them was lacking the proper resources to do its job.

Our prison system is an international embarrassment. Other countries look at us to see how not to do it. Our recidivism is off the charts. The fact that a (black) single mother can spend 12 YEARS in prison for selling $30 of weed is unbelievably f-ed. If any of us think that a middle-class white woman would receive the same fate, you are truly lost in the clouds.

I knew our fanbase was fairly homogenous, but it's really eye-opening to hear someone argue that there are no race ramifications in our criminal justice/prison system. SMH

I recognize that there are problems with racism when it comes to the justice system. We can argue all day about how much of a problem it is. Regardless it's there and needs to be addressed. But I don't think this is the only reason why minorities are incarcerated at a higher rate as you seem to be implying (I apologize if you're not). There are other factors IMO. For example, it's been shown that kids who grow up in a one-parent household (regardless of race) have a higher chance of going to prison at some point in their lifetime. Statistics now show that 50-66% of black children grow up with just one parent around.

This topic is like many others. We argue back and forth about what causes it, how to fix it, etc. In many cases, both sides of the argument are probably right to some degree. There are usually many factors.

Texas and you're black, you already have two strikes against you. We wintered in Kerville 4 years ago and saw some stuff that thought you were back in the 60's. First of all, in Texas everything is bigger and better than any place in the world according to the locals. Don't get me wrong. Places like San Antonio , Austin, and even parts of Dallas there are a lot of educated people that don't have that " redneck " philosophy. Still, you hit the smaller towns and communities you see a lot of " Back Off " mud flaps with Yosemite Sam pointing two guns on them.

Of course, this must be racist in some way.

I recognize that there are problems with racism when it comes to the justice system. We can argue all day about how much of a problem it is. Regardless it's there and needs to be addressed. But I don't think this is the only reason why minorities are incarcerated at a higher rate as you seem to be implying (I apologize if you're not). There are other factors IMO. For example, it's been shown that kids who grow up in a one-parent household (regardless of race) have a higher chance of going to prison at some point in their lifetime. Statistics now show that 50-66% of black children grow up with just one parent around.

This topic is like many others. We argue back and forth about what causes it, how to fix it, etc. In many cases, both sides of the argument are probably right to some degree. There are usually many factors.

This is a fair and reasonable post. I definitely don't think that's the only reason why minorities are going to prison at higher rates. It is such a deeply rooted topic and we'd have to go back 100-200 years and look at a lack of educational opportunities, lack of equal pay, lack of equal rights, etc. I feel overwhelmed when I think about how f-ed it all is.

This Wilson incident may not have anything to do with race. I'm not trying to say it certainly does. But I also think it's naive (especially in Texas) to automatically think it has no bearing. Regardless, some of the comments jumping to conclusions on the outcome of this investigation/case OR implying that we're all playing on an even field with the cops and the justice system really touched a nerve for me.

Of course, this must be racist in some way.

Can you tell us how many years you lived in the Deep South for? Because I think it's vital info.

You do realize that the South is still, in essence, segregated, yes? Outside of the major, major cities, all the white kids pretty much go to the private schools and the black kids go to the underfunded city schools. The white people live on a certain side of town and cross the tracks (yes, I'm serious) and it's the "black side of town."

I covered high school and college sports in Georgia for a couple years. When I was down there (in the last decade), one of the schools in my coverage area had it's FIRST UNSEGREGATED PROM. It was huge national news. All over CNN. Well into the 2000s, the school had been having the official school prom - which all the black kids attended - and then the white students were throwing their own "unofficial white prom". This is one example out of hundreds.

So again, still feel comfortable throwing around remarks because you can't believe one of us would mention race when discussing the South, crime, cops and courts??

We've gotten pretty far from the start of this.

Bottom line - a guy got into a fender-bender, got into a beef with the other person, and apparently pulled a rifle out of his car.

If I did that, this board would be saying "Geez, Shorty, how can you do something that stupid?"

That's what I say to Damien Wilson - "Geez, man - you're a pro FB player. You've got the world by the balls compared to most people. how can you do something that stupid?"

Yes, he's an ex-Gopher. yes, he was a good player for the Gophers. That doesn't mean he can't do something stupid. That doesn't mean he didn't do something stupid. Black, white, green, doesn't matter. You get into a fender-bender, and pull a rifle out of your car, that's stupid.

We've gotten pretty far from the start of this.

Bottom line - a guy got into a fender-bender, got into a beef with the other person, and apparently pulled a rifle out of his car.

If I did that, this board would be saying "Geez, Shorty, how can you do something that stupid?"

That's what I say to Damien Wilson - "Geez, man - you're a pro FB player. You've got the world by the balls compared to most people. how can you do something that stupid?"

Yes, he's an ex-Gopher. yes, he was a good player for the Gophers. That doesn't mean he can't do something stupid. That doesn't mean he didn't do something stupid. Black, white, green, doesn't matter. You get into a fender-bender, and pull a rifle out of your car, that's stupid.

That's all very valid. I guess, at least for me, lots of very sensitive underlying societal topics surrounding it.

To be fair, when I was reading the early links that were posted yesterday, the ones I clicked on didn't have details yet. Then I saw the info about the "roll of quarters". So, my fault for not taking the time to read each link, but I think my original point still stands: regardless of a police report, I will choose to wait to see how it plays out when Damien and his lawyer have their day in court.

You continue to miss the point people are trying to get you see.
1. You keep saying that you want the facts before making judgement, but you have jumped to more conclusions w/o fact than anyone else in this thread (race, quarters vs gun, cops, etc.). Few or none are debating the process should be allowed to play out - but you are the biggest offender of not waiting for it to play out (despite being the one demanding that others let it).
2. Few or none would debate racism exists, but you turned this into a wide stretching discussion only because you were called out for declaring it was a factor in this DW57 incident, despite there being no facts to support that (see point 1 above). Pivot.

You aren't part of the solution to the problem you are preaching about - not even close.

That's all very valid. I guess, at least for me, lots of very sensitive underlying societal topics surrounding it.

if you view every event through the prism of perceived racism then that's all you'll see. It's mystifying why you even brought it up,as you dont know the races of the officers or other parties. It says a lot. Difficult problems, sensitivities, etc.

If you run into an ***hole in the morning, you ran into an ***hole. If you run into ***holes all day, you're the ***hole. Think about it.

Top Bottom