Gopher Football Position Preview: Linebackers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
By: Daniel House- Follow on Twitter: @DanielHouseNFL

You’ll be hard pressed to find a positon group with more talent on the Gopher football team than at linebacker. With two upper classmen in the starting lineup, including Jonathan Celestin and Cody Poock, the linebacker room has veteran leadership to pair with young talent.

Former linebackers coach Mike Sherels deserves much credit for his ability to recruit athleticism and overall talent at the position. The starting SAM linebacker job will likely be a competition between Kamal Martin and Blake Cashman. Cashman likely will be used in a variety of ways to garner the athletic skill-set he displayed, en route to a team-high 7.5 sacks in 2016. The Gophers are expected to use linebackers like Martin, Cashman, and Carter Coughlin in an edge rushing look on defense. I touched on this in the defensive line preview, but it is a 4-3 base defense with a 3-4 look.

The athleticism and explosiveness at this position allow the coaching staff to utilize players in ways many coaches are unable to. They'll be running stunts and blitz packages to get after the quarterback. Defensive coordinator Robb Smith has expressed his goal to place the best 11 players on the field to maximize their potential. He certainly will have plenty to work with at the linebacker position.

Additions: Trenton Guthrie, Danny Anderson, and Joe Russell
Subtractions: Blake Weber, Jack Lynn, Nick Rallis, Ray Dixon

Projected Lineup: Cody Poock- WLB, Jonathan Celestin- MLB, Kamal Martin- SLB, Carter Coughlin (rotational edge look)

In-Depth Analysis:

Cody Poock- Redshirt Senior

Cody Poock missed six games last season due to injury and brings more experience to a linebacker group loaded with talent. Poock has been a sure-handed tackler, notching 123 career tackles. The real issue for Poock has been staying healthy. He has played in 19 games over the last two seasons and pushed through injuries during his sophomore season. When on the field, Poock’s ability to square up in the hole and make a run stop is impressive. Not to mention, he performs with above instincts and reacts to plays quickly. Poock is rangy and moves well sideline-to-sideline. He accumulates tackles for loss by exploding through gaps, staying low, and wrapping up. In some instances, Poock moves too far downhill and gets out of alignment, which can cause problems. However, he is a skilled tackler with above average instincts in this defense. He’ll be a great asset to the team if he can stay healthy.

Jonathan Celestin- Senior

Jonathan Celestin was one of the most underrated players on the Gophers’ defense in 2016. He was the second leading tackler on defense, notching 80 tackles (7 for loss). He was very effective when the coaches brought him off blitzes in the gaps. In addition, he ran down screen passes on a consistent basis with his above average instincts and overall field awareness. Celestin was one of the most reliable tacklers Minnesota had last season. In several games, Celestin would have 13-15 tackles, frequently making plays against the run. He is a downhill run stopper, but is rangy enough to make plays all over the field. He must improve as a pass defender and struggled when he was isolated 1-on-1 against tight ends or running backs. This was particularly the case in the red zone. Nonetheless, Celestin provides veteran experience to a linebacker group loaded with talent.

Everett Williams- Redshirt Junior

Linebacker Everett Williams played in seven games in 2015, but was redshirted last season. He has a knack for getting into passing lanes and broke up multiple passes in the limited action he saw. He flashed an ability to cover tight ends and running backs, which is something not all young linebackers can do. When he was a freshman, Williams also played a role on special teams. This adds more value to his skill-set as he looks for a way to contribute in 2017.

Julian Huff- Junior

As a rotational player in 2016, linebacker Julian Huff played in all 13 games, starting one. Huff was active when placed around the line of scrimmage as a blitzer. He forced two fumbles and created frequent tackles for loss last year. The new coaching staff has repeatedly stated they will place the defensive players in the best situation to be successful. To fulfill this goal, I expect Huff to rotate into the linebacker group on pass rushing downs to get after the quarterback. They’ll utilize different fronts to garner his quick explosion and tackling skills. Huff plays very compact and shoots through the gaps to find the ball carrier and quarterback. He has a knack for creating turnovers, which will be an important aspect of the new coaching regime. Creating turnovers and taking care of the football will be a critical component needed to start winning games consistently in the second half.

Jaylen Waters- Redshirt Sophomore

Everyone doesn’t really talk about it, but Jaylen Waters played an integral role on special teams for the Gophers in 2016. He frequently made tackles on all of the coverage units and was a contributor as a young player. His versatility on these units will pay dividends for special teams coordinator Rob Wenger. At 6-foot-3, 255 pounds, Waters has good length and size to be a downhill run stuffer at linebacker. He can work into more of a role on defense when Cody Poock and Jonathan Celestin graduate. Waters is another player who will provide more depth to a position group with a plethora of talent.

Blake Cashman- Junior

In 2016, one could argue there wasn’t a player more electrifying on defense than linebacker Blake Cashman. As a situational pass rusher, Cashman tallied a team-high 7.5 sacks. Not to mention, he was a tackling machine on special teams. As a linebacker, his blend of explosion, quick feet, and power allow him to win off the snap. His quick first step and pure athleticism make him a unique player. He can not only be disruptive as a pass rusher, but is rangy in coverage. In this defense, he’ll be unleashed in a new way. Cashman will likely play a stand-up edge rushing role in certain situations within this system. In addition, he can be sent via stunts, twists, or delayed blitzes where he sugars the gaps. With his ability to make plays, he’ll rotate into the lineup. He missed spring ball recovering from injury, but if he can pick up the terminology quickly, he could catapult into the starting lineup. Depending upon how much playing time he receives, don't be surprised if Cashman leads the team in tackles for losses this season.

Thomas Barber- Sophomore

Thomas Barber is another player who was a reliable tackler on the kickoff coverage units. His fundamentals as a tackler are some of the best you’ll find on the roster. Barber doesn’t have impressive length, but does all the little things well. He is a solid run defender, but is underrated in coverage too. He plays with impressive lower body strength and pulls off of blocks to make run stops in the gaps. In addition, Barber is a physical player with a strong motor. He stays square in the gaps and doesn’t get out of alignment. He will be a two-down thumper inside that could develop into the starting MIKE linebacker when Jonathan Celestin graduates.

Carter Coughlin- Sophomore

If you’ve listened to any GopherHole podcasts, you’ve heard many of my opinions on linebacker Carter Coughlin. He has the potential to be a breakthrough player in this system. Defensive line coach Bryce Paup has instructed Coughlin as he makes the transitions to playing within the edge rushing look on defense. He added a little more bulk and has embraced the hybrid role he will play. His performance in the spring game is just a taste of what we’ll see this year. When I talked to Coughlin after the spring game, he indicated he’s becoming more comfortable with the hand technique and the footwork associated with the edge rushing role. This is going to completely utilize his athletic skill-set and blend of speed/explosion in a new way. He is a compact rusher who can be placed all of the field to utilize his unique skills. Not to mention, he can still play the traditional linebacker spot because of his coverage skills.

Kamal Martin- Sophomore

Kamal Martin brings athleticism and coverage skills to the outside linebacker position for the Gophers. He’ll likely play SAM linebacker in the starting lineup, after being a rotational player last year. Martin is another player you can send off stunts or delayed blitzes to get after the quarterback. He’s great at getting his hands in passing lanes because of his length. He is smooth when he drops back into coverage and consistently notched pass breakups, including an interception last year. Martin plays with a blend of speed and power, which allows him to pull off blocks and make stops. He uses his hands as an asset and powers through blocks with a strong rip. Martin will need to earn the starting job, but it appears he is well on his way.

Trenton Guthrie- Freshman

Trenton Guthrie is a developmental player for P.J. Fleck and his staff to work with. He has great length and plays with excellent power. It was critical for him to get additional instruction by being an early enrollee this spring. I was impressed with Guthrie's overall upper body strength and light feet. He’ll be a hybrid pass rusher in this system because of his skill-set. In high school, Guthrie rushed as a defensive end, but also stood up on the edge. Guthrie notched 11 sacks and 26 tackles for loss in his final high school season. He fights through blocks very well with a strong rip or push-pull. He added more weight after getting into the strength program, which will help help him fit within his new role. Guthrie’s footwork is already light and now he’ll incorporate more hand technique into his pass rushing arsenal. Guthrie will likely redshirt, which provides him with more time to develop polished pass rushing moves and coverage skills.

Redshirt Freshman Bailey Schoenfelder, freshman Danny Anderson, and freshman Joe Russell will provide deep depth at the linebacker position.

For more deep analysis, give the latest Gopher Hole podcast a listen. I break down 20 players and how they'll contribute this season.

Any chance we redshirt one of the younger guys (Martin/Barber) so they can spend their eligibility more productively when Poock and Celestin are gone? My guess is no but thought I would ask.

Martin will have a good chance to start. I was hoping Barber would redshirt last year. Hopefully Guthrie redshirts, can't see him breaking the two deeps, and guys like Waters, Williams, Cashman, Huff, and Barber should contribute on Special teams as well

Great breakdown DH! If Fleck can up the TOP even a bit, this group will be deadly. Love the talent, depth, and versatility.

Excellent recap. Every time I hear the following line though.....Former linebackers coach Mike Sherels deserves much credit for his ability to recruit athleticism and overall talent at the position. I can't help but wonder if we are still in play for Sherels whenever he gets healthy.

Excellent recap. Every time I hear the following line though.....Former linebackers coach Mike Sherels deserves much credit for his ability to recruit athleticism and overall talent at the position. I can't help but wonder if we are still in play for Sherels whenever he gets healthy.

Come on Mark Coyle, keep Mike Sherels on the U insurance until he is healthy enough to start coaching again.

Great summary Daniel! Love them!
I agree on Sherels, his story IS row the boat!

I am looking forward to watching a healthy Cody Poock, he has more athleticism around him which should help him stay at home and deliver some serious blows to the oppositions ball carriers. Cant wait for this whole group to really excel.

Top Bottom