It Just Hit Me

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
Why would you change the throwing motion of Adam Weber?

This was a QB who led the Big Ten in Completion % in 2008 despite playing behind the worst offensive line in the Big Ten (or nation), a ground game that was the worst in the Big Ten, and playing half a Big Ten schedule without your top receiver.

I just don't get it. Are they worried about his passes being tipped? If it was that big of a problem 1) I didn't notice it, and 2) it would have affected his completion percentage.

A lot of times they want to change a pitcher's thowing motion to avoid arm problems and surgery down the line. I've never heard of a QB undergoing Tommy John surgery - or having his playing days cut short due to elbow problems.

Can someone explain this? Can we get the media around here to start asking some questions? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I was watching the replay of the game tonight and noticed that when Weber missed a throw - it was almost always missed to the left. Even on some of his completions the throws were more to the left than I think he would have liked.

On the same note, have they already changed Gray's motion, or are they still working on it? If you recall seeing any of his videos from recruitment and in the the Army high school All-American game, - he threw very side-armed. A true over-the-top thrower, like a classic power-pitcher in baseball, should virtually have their shoulder rub against their ear in their delivery.

Why would you change the throwing motion of Adam Weber?

This was a QB who led the Big Ten in Completion % in 2008 despite playing behind the worst offensive line in the Big Ten (or nation), a ground game that was the worst in the Big Ten, and playing half a Big Ten schedule without your top receiver.

I just don't get it. Are they worried about his passes being tipped? If it was that big of a problem 1) I didn't notice it, and 2) it would have affected his completion percentage.

A lot of times they want to change a pitcher's thowing motion to avoid arm problems and surgery down the line. I've never heard of a QB undergoing Tommy John surgery - or having his playing days cut short due to elbow problems.

Can someone explain this? Can we get the media around here to start asking some questions? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I was thinking the same thing during the game. My buddy, who is an Illinois grad and visiting this weekend asked me the same thing.

I'm going with the theory that they are trying to prepare him to be successful in the NFL. That being said the experiment is off to a horrible start.

I had the same though josh. Messing with his delivery is just going to screw him up.

That's what happens when you bring in NFL type coaches into the college world........

I'm going with the theory that they are trying to prepare him to be successful in the NFL. That being said the experiment is off to a horrible start.

if this is true, i would be very angry. correcting a QBs throwing motion is for the clipboard years in the NFL, not when he is the most important player on the field. let him throw the way he is comfortable, and win games, then let the NFL QB coach worry about the motion.

It is about efficiency of movement. There are plenty of guys who "get by" with substandard mechanics ie Vince Young. The fact of the matter is that Weber did not have great throwing mechanics. This is what coaches get paid to do. To try to fix fundamental flaws within players.

Jake Delhomme had Tommy John surgery in 2007, so who knows maybe it is just a precautionary measure.

It is about efficiency of movement. There are plenty of guys who "get by" with substandard mechanics ie Vince Young. The fact of the matter is that Weber did not have great throwing mechanics. This is what coaches get paid to do. To try to fix fundamental flaws within players.

True. We watched a lot of football yesterday, ending with Washington's final touchdown against LSU. On at least three other games we heard an announcer talk about adjusting a QB's delivery including Jake Locker at Washington.

if this is true, i would be very angry. correcting a QBs throwing motion is for the clipboard years in the NFL, not when he is the most important player on the field. let him throw the way he is comfortable, and win games, then let the NFL QB coach worry about the motion.

This^ +1

The intention of adjusting the motion is to improve the QB's velocity and accuracy. In the long-run it should help him out but in the short term it takes some getting used to. Consider it taking a step backwards to take a couple steps forward.

But what if the thought is that improving his delivery can help us here, now, in the next two years? Certainly didn't look great to start with, but Weber has 20+ games left in his Gopher career and let's not be too qucik to say it isn't going to work. IMO.

And Fische was changing him from overhand to 3/4 the opposite of what was said on TV.

if the change in the motion is something that will make weber a better gopher QB, then i am all for it. BUT the part i did not like was improving his motion to make him a better NFL prospect (i realize that CG did say it was only a theory).

look at bradford. he's got a terrible motion, but he will be a top five pick.

all the talk about why fisch is changing his motion is all message board speculation, but i will take the web from last year with a less than perfect motion over a sub 50% web with a great motion.

He was also not required to make many long throws.

Top Bottom