The Comeback: Who Are the Best Returning Running Backs? (3. Rodney Smith, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Comeback:

3. Rodney Smith, Minnesota

Is there a running back at a Power 5 school with less hype and more career production than Rodney Smith of Minnesota? My answer is no, especially considering he’s rushed for 1,828 yards in his first two seasons in a Gophers uniform. With a more settled offensive line and a transition in the coaching staff, look for Smith to go from fringe to nationally known quantity this season.

In fact, I’m so bullish on Smith this season I made this bold prediction while previewing the team: He’ll lead the Big Ten in rushing yards in 2017.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/big-ten-position-previews-big-ten-east-rules-running-back-roost.html

Go Gophers!!

per The Comeback:

3. Rodney Smith, Minnesota

Is there a running back at a Power 5 school with less hype and more career production than Rodney Smith of Minnesota? My answer is no, especially considering he’s rushed for 1,828 yards in his first two seasons in a Gophers uniform. With a more settled offensive line and a transition in the coaching staff, look for Smith to go from fringe to nationally known quantity this season.

In fact, I’m so bullish on Smith this season I made this bold prediction while previewing the team: He’ll lead the Big Ten in rushing yards in 2017.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/big-ten-position-previews-big-ten-east-rules-running-back-roost.html

Go Gophers!!

The Comeback is ELITE!

Most all the hype is on Smith which is deserved but I can't stop thinking about a healthy Brooks also. Neither one will get all the playing time but together they will be outstanding.
If the supporting players can give them the blocking needed, watchout! This will also help our rookie QB. I hope both of them stay the next two years although the NFL will be tempting.

I appreciate everything Smith does, but I also believe that Brooks can be just as important to the offense. Smith may get more carries, but Brooks (IMHO) is more likely to break a big play. Brooks has also shown he can run the halfback option pass, and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

I would love to see both backs on the field together for at least 35 to 40% of the snaps this year. Especially if none of the WR's really stand out. Fleck's system is supposed to be all about getting the ball into the hands of the playmakers and let them make plays. Smith and Brooks are - at least right now - the #1 and #2 playmakers on the team. If Lingen is healthy, he's #3. after that, your guess is as good as mine.

I appreciate everything Smith does, but I also believe that Brooks can be just as important to the offense. Smith may get more carries, but Brooks (IMHO) is more likely to break a big play.

Brooks is more likely to break a 30-40 yard play, with the way that he likes to bowl over DBs with ease. But he doesn't have the breakaway speed that Smith has. Smith is a bit more likely to pull out a 50 yard TD run.

Brooks and Smith are a great combination at RB! The way Smith jukes his way to extra yards and the way Brooks roles over the defense, I wouldn't trade our backs for another in the BIG10, maybe not the country. If our O-Line improves we could very well resemble the Maroney/Barber years, maybe better. Is it football season yet?

Brooks and Smith are a great combination at RB! The way Smith jukes his way to extra yards and the way Brooks roles over the defense, I wouldn't trade our backs for another in the BIG10, maybe not the country. If our O-Line improves we could very well resemble the Maroney/Barber years, maybe better. Is it football season yet?

Agreed....and Gophs are solidly 4-deep. #3 & 4 could start for half the teams in the B1G IMHO.

Predicting a player on an All B1G team to lead the conference in rushing the next year isn't bold.

Smith got too fancy halfway through last year. Instead of putting his shoulder in people's chest he would tap dance and lose yards trying to hit the home run each play. No doubt he is phenomenal and extremely talented, just needs to break the bad habit.

Personally this is why I favor Brooks. He is much less likely to put you in 2nd or 3rd and long and enables you to stay ahead of the sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom