Pioneer Press: Isaiah Washington arrives with a large (including social) following

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

Of course, what Washington does on the court with the Gophers will likely be his legacy in Minnesota. While current Gopher players aren’t allowed to give interviews during the summer, those who have seen Washington firsthand offer high praise.

“I was in the weight room with him one day, and I always used to be the guy in there firing everybody up,” said Akeem Springs, a graduating senior still using the Gophers’ facility to rehab an injury. “So, I was watching one of their workouts and he was the guy yelling ‘Let’s go!’ and talking to everybody. That really surprised me and inspired me.

“The stuff he can do on the court is well-documented. You can go on YouTube and see a hundred videos of what he can do on that court. But that was something I really liked about him, because it showed he’s a natural leader. I don’t think many people know how good a leader he is and how his presence can impact people.”

Washington, 18, still has more than four months before his first college game, something Springs pointed out after seeing the coterie of fans waiting for the freshman.

“It’s really good for him that he was able to build his brand at such a young age, but the biggest part about him is he’s so humble,” Springs said. “You watch these Pro-Ams and some guys are like, ‘Everybody knows who I am.’ But Washington comes and shakes everybody’s hand, even if he doesn’t know them or they don’t speak to him.

“He’s a real humble guy. Him being humble, with the following that he has, is going to take him a long way.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/3...ah-washington-arrives-with-a-large-following/

Go Gophers!!

This is the reaction I anticipate Jelly Fam giving to Pitino when the annual social media ban is communicated this Fall:

Go Gophers!!

This is the reaction I anticipate Jelly Fam giving to Pitino when the annual social media ban is communicated this Fall:

Go Gophers!!

Ha ha. Great clip.

Maybe Pitino will soften his stance on social media to accommodate the Jelly Fam brand.

Washington and his social media presence is very good for the program. I'm fine with the yearly ban but it does help to keep fans engaged when players are active.

I've mentioned on here before that I have coworkers who follow him on Instagram but have never been to a Gopher hoops game; they play to attend a game or two this year because of him.

Washington and his social media presence is very good for the program. I'm fine with the yearly ban but it does help to keep fans engaged when players are active.

I've mentioned on here before that I have coworkers who follow him on Instagram but have never been to a Gopher hoops game; they play to attend a game or two this year because of him.

I think banning during the season is fine. It's easy to be fine with everything your teammates post in the offseason with no pressure, but the opportunity for it to turn into a negative during the pressure cooker of the season is worrisome. Watching them play actual games and/or doing press interviews before after and between games is plenty to keep fans engaged during the sesaon.

The off season is the right time to roll the dice on social media, especially at ticket renewal time.

Pitino allows them to use Instagram, not Twitter. All the players were active on Instagram throughout the season last year. That's where Washington is a star, not on Twitter.

Top Bottom