Gophers announce "staggering" renewal rate for season tickets - 98%!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per an email I just received:

"Thank you for renewing your season tickets and for your continued support of Gopher Men’s Basketball! It is because of loyal fans like you that we achieved our highest season ticket renewal rate in the Richard Pitino era, a staggering 98%! Excitement is high for the 2017-18 season and we can’t wait to see you back in the Barn this fall!

“The excitement for this upcoming season is high, and we’re so appreciative of our loyal fans who have signed on to be a part of it at the Barn with us by renewing their season tickets,” said head coach Richard Pitino. “We want to build on last year’s success and continue elevating our program, and we can’t do it without our fans giving us a great home court advantage.”

Thank you for being part of our Gopher Family! We look forward to seeing you in Williams Arena this season!"

Go Gophers!!

The barn is getting fun again.

Hell yeah! I am trying to put a group of 4 together to get my first season tickets ever! So jacked for this year

It is because of loyal fans like you that we achieved our highest season ticket renewal rate in the Richard Pitino era, a staggering 98%!

Go Gophers!!

This is great news packaged with a meh frame of reference. Jeez, the WHOLE Richard Pitino Era? Had to be some historic records set in terms of improvement in renewal from the previous year. Good to see we still have some B team marketing people working for the U.

The Richard Pitino portion of the message was not needed. 98% is very high, regardless of how long Pitino has been here.

I bought tickets for next year, curious to see where I end up sitting.

This is great news packaged with a meh frame of reference. Jeez, the WHOLE Richard Pitino Era? Had to be some historic records set in terms of improvement in renewal from the previous year. Good to see we still have some B team marketing people working for the U.

Exactly what would you expect them to say there?

Exactly what would you expect them to say there?

If your going to present a number as "great" you need to supply a point of reference. A score of 8 doesn't mean much unless you know if the scale is 8, 10 or 100. They should have said "Renewal rate is an epic 98% " followed by any comparison at all that would lend a point of reference:

"which has only been met or eclipsed X times in the last XX years"
"which is a historic improvement from last years low of XX%"
"which is X% better than was predicted internally by the program"

Or god forbid you just say it's "great" and don't qualify it at all which is better than saying best in the RP era because that essentially disqualifies it.

We've only had 4 other opportunities to renew in the RP ERA. And only one had a chance of decent renewal.

Opportunity one into 2013/14 new coach fans lukewarm on whether we were upgrading from Tubby
Opportunity two into 2014/15 After winning NIT with a team he didn't recruit, hopes were high
Opportunity three into 2015/16 Coming off a 6 big ten win season and no post season, hopes are tepid
Opportunity four into 2016/17 Coming off 2 big ten wins , whatever this became Missouri, the show me state.

This year, epic turn around last year would expect it to be an improvement, but to qualify the number with it being the best of the RP era is undermining it and essentially saying it's pretty good but Tubby was pulling those renewal numbers too, so no big whoop.

If your going to present a number as "great" you need to supply a point of reference. A score of 8 doesn't mean much unless you know if the scale is 8, 10 or 100. They should have said "Renewal rate is an epic 98% " followed by any comparison at all that would lend a point of reference:

Or god forbid you just say it's "great" and don't qualify it at all which is better than saying best in the RP era because that essentially disqualifies it.

We've only had 4 other opportunities to renew in the RP ERA. And only one had a chance of decent renewal.

Opportunity one into 2013/14 new coach fans lukewarm on whether we were upgrading from Tubby
Opportunity two into 2014/15 After winning NIT with a team he didn't recruit, hopes were high
Opportunity three into 2015/16 Coming off a 6 big ten win season and no post season, hopes are tepid
Opportunity four into 2016/17 Coming off 2 big ten wins , whatever this became Missouri, the show me state.

This year, epic turn around last year would expect it to be an improvement, but to qualify the number with it being the best of the RP era is undermining it and essentially saying it's pretty good but Tubby was pulling those renewal numbers too, so no big whoop.

Apply a reference point = Richard Pitino Era.

Just say you don't think it's an accomplishment, that's fine. The message in of itself was constructed with almost everything you outlined there. You simply don't think it's staggering, which is fine.

Heaven forbid the b team marketing people were trying to spin the message to sound as positive as possible. As you said, it's meh, thank god they didn't say "We only got 98% renewal rate, and it's only our best because before we sucked"... That would be some real marketing genius.

I guess I don't understand the concern. By definition, the best renewal rate possible is 100%, so there are only 2 better levels, 99% and 100% (taking out fractions of %) than the current level. As such, I think 98% is pretty "staggering" and I doubt you ever get 100% since somebody always moves away or dies or has financial issues. Anyway, not high on my list of things to be bothered about and we should be pretty happy as no doubt the total season tickets sold should go up.

Top Bottom