Gophers 2018

On the transfer note,(can't say more for obvious reasons) have heard some stuff that some current Gopher players may be looking at transferring themselves. Could be an interesting and possibly surprising off season. Stay tuned as we should all know more within a couple weeks I'd venture.

I can't imagine that the transfer of players with significant playing time in a successful season would look good for this coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about her. I really would prefer some more size inside.

YOU might prefer more size inside, but if she’s a little taller than Pitts and still has range to three point line, it kinda fits the bill for what Stollings might be looking for.

It’s odd that in the interview video from February it sounded like she was eager about next season and then things seemed to have changed so quickly.

On the transfer note,(can't say more for obvious reasons) have heard some stuff that some current Gopher players may be looking at transferring themselves. Could be an interesting and possibly surprising off season. Stay tuned as we should all know more within a couple weeks I'd venture.

I wonder if the transfers are those who sat most of the year. I would think K. Bello would stay along with her sister...or maybe they both want to go somewhere else.

I wonder if Bell might declare for the draft if there’s enough interest shown in her. The Minnesota Lynx filled up their guard roster, so interest would have to come from somewhere else. By the way, I’m disappointed the Lynx filled up their guard roster. I was hoping they would draft Carlie and bring her along for the ride kinda like they did with WNBA Champion Shae Kelly in 2015.

I wonder if Bell might declare for the draft if there’s enough interest shown in her. The Minnesota Lynx filled up their guard roster, so interest would have to come from somewhere else. By the way, I’m disappointed the Lynx filled up their guard roster. I was hoping they would draft Carlie and bring her along for the ride kinda like they did with WNBA Champion Shae Kelly in 2015.

I forgot Bell could actually go pro this year. When do they need to declare for the draft, or is the process different for womens (versus mens)?

I believe you have until 10 days before the draft to declare. So that would make the deadline April 2.

More on Hayes. There’s even footage of her playing at Williams Arena.
Her mom used to be a Gopher!

If Bell is graduating, could she go the Lindsey Spann route and grad-transfer to another program, without needing to sit out?

If Bell is graduating, could she go the Lindsey Spann route and grad-transfer to another program, without needing to sit out?

Some place like Notre Dame, who might be desperate for a good PG? Notre Dame took Lili Thompson this season on a grad transfer. If it’s not a prominent basketball school, I’m not sure what the point would be. Is there any indication that Bell is unhappy playing college ball here? Going to the WNBA is a different story. You’re getting paid to play basketball. Why put that off if you don’t have to?

Some place like Notre Dame, who might be desperate for a good PG? Notre Dame took Lili Thompson this season on a grad transfer. If it’s not a prominent basketball school, I’m not sure what the point would be. Is there any indication that Bell is unhappy playing college ball here? Going to the WNBA is a different story. You’re getting paid to play basketball. Why put that off if you don’t have to?

In Bell's case, she made such strides this year that I'm guessing she could be a much hotter WNBA prospect after another year of college play. (And I hope like heck that year is at Minnesota.)

I checked Mikayla Hayes’ stats (maybe I should have done that first).
All the starters played heavy +30 mpg.
Hayes only played 10 mpg and her stats weren’t very impressive all around.
Maybe she’s not such a great fit after all.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/gatorzone.com/documents/2017/11/14/201718_WBBStats.pdf

We still haven't seen anything official regarding a transfer.

She was recruited by Amanda Butler who was replaced last summer by Belmont's Cameron Newbauer. We saw Newbauer's Belmont team in 2016 at Williams Arena.

I thought Hayes' interview addressed the difficulties of learning Cameron Newbauer's roving post offense. The only games I remember watching Hayes play were during state tournaments. She definitely had post player skills (I think she was the only post player the team had). I doubt her post skills have disappeared.

While the stats should give pause, it's worth remembering: 1) Florida was a mess this season and 2) we seriously need help at the post.

Well there’s been a big trend of Minnesota players seeking to play at home after being disappointed for whatever reason with their first choice of school, so I thought it might be a possibility. I suppose she would have to sit out a year. Is there even room for her?

Shades, if you wanna take a shot at me, at least let me put my bullet proof vest on first. Haha. YOU are correct I do want some size at post. Don't you? I agree with your point that it's about what Stollings wants.But I don't think we have to give up size to get that. I love Bello as a rebounder and put back scorer, but she has no real perimeter game. I could be totally wrong, but to me, having watched Stollings teams now for a few years, a post needs enough size to defend, the ability to run the floor, some perimeter skills that include the ability to hit 15-19 foot open shots, the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim off pick and roll situations and occasionally on hand offs, along with the ability to attack rebounds from space. A strong 6'4" stretch type player would probably work. Stollings lucked into AZB and is responsible for the other posts this team had on it. What everyone here thought we lacked in the post, was what Stollings signed, so its on her. Stollings knows the guard game and it's definitely an upgrade from an excitement level to the Borton era. However, Stollings definitely needs post and defensive help. Those two areas are what will potentially lead to her downfall. This all leads to why I wasn't a big Hayes to the Gophers supporter. I don't believe that a 6'2" back to the basket type of post will work well at this level, especially when there isn't a lot of known perimeter skill there from what I recall of her in HS and AAU. There are 250 D1 programs a girl like that can kill it at, but I don't see it at the high major level or certainly not at the high major level where a team is trying to make a leap into the top 20s. However, I'm sure she's a great kid and if the transfer rumors have any meat on the bone, maybe we will need some depth. Anyway, I have my vest on now so feel free to let me have it. Go Gophs!

Well there’s been a big trend of Minnesota players seeking to play at home after being disappointed for whatever reason with their first choice of school, so I thought it might be a possibility. I suppose she would have to sit out a year. Is there even room for her?

Perhaps she'd have to sit out a year; but there's precedent for being immediately eligible especially after a coaching change.

Famously, there's former Husker Jessica Shepard who became eligible before the season at Notre Dame (yes, I know, Muffet gets special treatment). Shepard left a year after Yori was bounced.

And there's former Illini Chantrice White who became eligible (to just about everyone's surprise) without sitting out a year at Florida State. White stuck around Illinois for a year after the lawsuit before transferring. Maybe it's just a B1G to ACC rule :) or maybe we'd catch a break in favor of the B1G. The NCAA has recently seemed to consider coaching changes as a mitigating factor.

Top Bottom