BTN: Dienhart: Best QBs Big Ten teams will face in 2017 (MN: Brent Stockstill, MTSU)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

6. Brent Stockstill, MTSU at Minnesota, Sept. 16. The 6-0, 192-pound junior owns Middle Tennessee State career records in touchdown passes (61), 300-yard passing games (14), 400-yard passing games (2) and passing yards per game (303.3). Stockstill is 21st nationally among active players in career passing yards (7,279) and fourth in passing yards per game (303.3 ypg). Is Minnesota’s overhauled defensive backfield ready?

http://btn.com/2017/06/26/dienhart-best-qbs-big-ten-teams-will-face-in-2017/

Go Gophers!!

FWIW - this is for non-conference games only. I know that some B1G teams may be down at QB or breaking in new starters, but I have a hard time believing that the guy from Middle TN State is better than any QB in the B1G that the Gophers will face during the season.

per BTN:

6. Brent Stockstill, MTSU at Minnesota, Sept. 16. The 6-0, 192-pound junior owns Middle Tennessee State career records in touchdown passes (61), 300-yard passing games (14), 400-yard passing games (2) and passing yards per game (303.3). Stockstill is 21st nationally among active players in career passing yards (7,279) and fourth in passing yards per game (303.3 ypg). Is Minnesota’s overhauled defensive backfield ready?

http://btn.com/2017/06/26/dienhart-best-qbs-big-ten-teams-will-face-in-2017/

Go Gophers!!

I personally think he should be ranked 4th on Dienhart's list. He currently grades 3rd as returning QB by Pro Football Focus behind Mayfield and the Okie State kid. Helps he has a good target in Richie James to throw to as well. Looking forward to our Defense against these 2. Should be a nice challenge early on in season.

Stockstill put up impressive stats but we contained explosive offenses last year in Penn
State (I realize we lost for #reasons) and notably Washington State with a defense held together with baling wire and scotch tape.

MTSU's Achilles heel is they can't play defense. Combine our ability to play better than average defense with their total inability to play defense (and Fleck's penchant for a spread ball control offense) and we have a baby seal situation. Should be a double digit win.

This will definitely be a good preseason game to watch. I'd like to watch how our defense gel together against a quality QB.

The Gophers QB(s) and offense will have to learn fast as they face a dangerous team against OrSU who would have two games under their belt in an away game at 7:00 PM PST.

Stockstill put up impressive stats but we contained explosive offenses last year in Penn
State (I realize we lost for #reasons) and notably Washington State with a defense held together with baling wire and scotch tape.

MTSU's Achilles heel is they can't play defense. Combine our ability to play better than average defense with their total inability to play defense (and Fleck's penchant for a spread ball control offense) and we have a baby seal situation. Should be a double digit win.

This is what's tough for me. Do we really know how our defense will be under a new coordinator? I know if it was Sawvel coming back I would agree 100%. Just not sure what we have in Robb Smith. I guess we will find out! I hope your right Pompous because with a better offense and that same type of great D that we were able to enjoy for the last few years would probably lead to some historic finishes.

We don't know for certain but that applies every year. Everyone including MTSU has question marks. For example IIRC they lost 4 starters off their offensive line. The defense will be Sawvel and Claeys guys and we're going to be depending on Thomas, Shenault, Craighton taking a step and freshmen contributing but I'll choose to look on the positive side. We should be able to move the ball unless the QB face plants and they are able to load up vs run. I can't see that happening but obviously we haven't seen the 2017 product yet. I hope Fleck doesn't subconsciously take a mulligan year so he can "prove" his culture builds winners over time. The schedule is a big opportunity.

Edit: they lose 3 of 5 offensive starters and a slew of defensive line starters. They return only one DT with game experience and this is off a bad run defense.

Top Bottom