Great pictures of Gophers' work out at/in Lake Nokomis!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Prospective recruits will see this and realize how nice the weather is here at most times, how beautiful the lakes are, and how much fun it is to be on this team. This is how you recruit!
Did I do that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STrib: Gophers football team storms the beach -- at Lake Nokomis

The Gophers football team hit the beach last Friday, taking over Lake Nokomis in south Minneapolis, but this wasn’t some sunbathing exercise.

“It was one of the best workouts I think I’ve ever had up here,” said Winston DeLattiboudere, a sophomore defensive end.

With training camp five weeks away, this is a relatively quiet time on the college football calendar. But players are grinding through summer conditioning programs, which run five days per week for the Gophers.

Coach P.J. Fleck always looks for variety. At Western Michigan, his strength and conditioning coach, Dan Nichol, occasionally took the Broncos to a Kalamazoo lake for workouts.

“The guys at Western loved it, and [the coaches] had the same types of ideas coming here,” DeLattiboudere said. “But they said they’re going to bring a whole new attitude toward it because it’s Gopher football now.”

The Gophers arrived at Nokomis in charter buses, with the players all dressed in black “Row the Boat” workout shirts and matching maroon shorts. Someone put up a sign that said, “Gopher Beach,” as players taped on their water shoes.

Soon, Nichol was blowing his whistle, and the players were moving in unison. They did resistance running in the water, contorted their bodies through stretching exercises, raced through the fireman’s carry drill on the beach and flexed off in a tug of war.

“Basically, the whole day at the beach was a time for us to understand we’re going to have to battle in different sceneries, different areas as the season goes along,” DeLattiboudere said. “Coach Nichol said, ‘You guys are going to have to bring it.’”

The fireman’s carry was definitely a twist. Back at the Gophers practice complex, the team often does drills carrying 45-pound barbells around cones. This time, they had to carry a teammate through the sand, about 20 yards around a cone and back.

DeLattiboudere shouldered 6-6, 290-pound offensive lineman Sam Schlueter, working to keep his footing in the sand.

“A lot of people who were at the lake, they just stopped what they were doing and were watching us, like it was a game or something,” senior linebacker Jonathan Celestin said. “It was pretty cool. All eyes were on us, but we knew we were there to accomplish some work.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...112773/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Prospective recruits will see this and realize how nice the weather is here at most times, how beautiful the lakes are, and how much fun it is to be on this team. This is how you recruit!
Did I do that right?

Forgot Culture.

Did I do that right?

Plus the big guys can get shoes from Nokomis Shoe shop . Even for players north of size 14... Well not spikes, but shoes and boots. Wait, what were we talking about again.;)

Breaks up the pace of things. Good idea!

Good to see DeLattiboudere as a spokesmen for the team. Staff must be liking him. Need him to step up his game and be a leader at defensive end. He flashed quite a few times last year and seemed to be getting better as season progressed. Love rooting for under recruited guys like Winston!

Top Bottom