247Sports Take: Minnesota on a nice run

Guess Wiltfong & Reusse should have a debate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The list of recruits, particularly on defense, is impressive. This could be a really, really good group if guys like Aune and Rush translate well on defense in the Big Ten. No question everyone is incredibly athletic. These linemen commits are really exciting.

On offense Armstrong is an exciting prospect (and a breath of fresh air), as is the RB Bryce - he's already put on 15 pounds which is an impressive growth rate. He looks to have the quicks and burst to make the edge; hope we can hold on to him. The WRs are legit, productive in high school. Not athletes the coaches try to turn into WRs. All in all hard to nitpick too much.

What are the remaining needs? Obviously some offensive linemen. Lock up Shannon.

The list of recruits, particularly on defense, is impressive. This could be a really, really good group if guys like Aune and Rush translate well on defense in the Big Ten. No question everyone is incredibly athletic. These linemen commits are really exciting.

On offense Armstrong is an exciting prospect (and a breath of fresh air), as is the RB Bryce - <b>he's already put on 15 pounds which is an impressive growth rate. </b>He looks to have the quicks and burst to make the edge; hope we can hold on to him. The WRs are legit, productive in high school. Not athletes the coaches try to turn into WRs. All in all hard to nitpick too much.

What are the remaining needs? Obviously some offensive linemen. Lock up Shannon.

I can only imagine how impressed you would have been with my growth rate during my Freshman year in college then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only imagine how impressed you would have been with my growth rate during my Freshman year in college then.

I guess Pompous should have differentiated between good weight and bad weight increase.

I guess Pompous should have differentiated between good weight and bad weight increase.

I don't know how Bryce did it, but I did it with buffet-style dorm food, lots of beer, little sleep, and zero exercise. Hopefully he did it differently.

Back on topic:

From the article : With guys like Rush and Mariano Sori-Marin the Gophers are upgrading the athleticism of the second level of their defense.

Our LB group is an athletic group already. Those two will be great additions, but I don't think they will be an upgrade over the athleticism of the current group.

Back on topic:

From the article : With guys like Rush and Mariano Sori-Marin the Gophers are upgrading the athleticism of the second level of their defense.

Our LB group is an athletic group already. Those two will be great additions, but I don't think they will be an upgrade over the athleticism of the current group.

Think he's referencing their SPARQ scores.

Freshman 15 is indeed "impressive" but to to do it in 3-4 days is truly elite. Our strength and conditioning staff already having an effect.

the thing about recruiting classes: If signing day is like Christmas, the really hard part is that you don't get to play with your toys right away. Have to wait months - or in case of redshirts, years - to see these players on the field in uniform and making a contribution.

As others have said, this group has the potential to be a good class, but right now, that's all it is - potential. I still like to see them actually playing in a game before I can get a handle on just how good they area.

Think he's referencing their SPARQ scores.

And you would know this because?
Nowhere in the article does it talk about SPARQ scores. Our current LB group is one of the most athletic in the BIG right now. Can you agree with that?
But then, you would have to admit that Coughlin, Martin, Barber, Celestine, Cashman, Poock, Huff were good to great recruits and we all know you just can't do that because PJF wasn't the one who recruited them.

And you would know this because?
Nowhere in the article does it talk about SPARQ scores. Our current LB group is one of the most athletic in the BIG right now. Can you agree with that?
But then, you would have to admit that Coughlin, Martin, Barber, Celestine, Cashman, Poock, Huff were good to great recruits and we all know you just can't do that because PJF wasn't the one who recruited them.

Did I say I agree with him somewhere? Did I say the current linebackers weren't athletic? Calm down buddy. I'm saying why he may think the current commits will be more athletic. I don't think any of the current linebackers commits have played linebacker in their lives and were recruited as linebackers because they have high SPARQ scores.

Rush:

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/877544085770428418

Aune:

https://twitter.com/Stumpf_Brian/status/848735683539861506

Sori-Marin:

https://twitter.com/SWiltfong247/status/858281689432379392

Did I say I agree with him somewhere? Did I say the current linebackers weren't athletic? Calm down buddy. I'm saying why he may think the current commits will be more athletic. I don't think any of the current linebackers commits have played linebacker in their lives and were recruited as linebackers because they have high SPARQ scores.

Rush:

Aune:

Sori-Marin:

No, you didn't say the current linebackers weren't athletic. Nor could one readily infer a slight to the previous regime. Instead you offered up an opinion and embedded some solid tweets to back it up. So I guess I could some up my thoughts by saying, hey, thanks for posting. I for one appreciate your thoughts.

No, you didn't say the current linebackers weren't athletic. Nor could one readily infer a slight to the previous regime. Instead you offered up an opinion and embedded some solid tweets to back it up. So I guess I could some up my thoughts by saying, hey, thanks for posting. I for one appreciate your thoughts.

No post lives in a vacuum by itself.

OK, I'll bite. what is SPARQ? From context, I assume it's some method of evaluating or ranking athletic ability/potential - but to be honest, I've never heard of it before. (shame on me, I have a FT job and have other interests that do not revolve around college sports.....).

But seriously, can someone give a quick primer on SPARQ, or a link to a simple explanation?

Rush:

Aune:

Sori-Marin:

No and No to your two questions.
I'm as calm as always.
Now please answer the second question I asked. You answered the first above.

OK, I'll bite. what is SPARQ? From context, I assume it's some method of evaluating or ranking athletic ability/potential - but to be honest, I've never heard of it before. (shame on me, I have a FT job and have other interests that do not revolve around college sports.....).

But seriously, can someone give a quick primer on SPARQ, or a link to a simple explanation?

IMHO like the combine it's a tool to rule out the unathletic but it doesn't substitute for football IQ, "want to", great hands, vision, aggressiveness, attitude, aptitude...list goes on. I get nervous when we recruit a guy based on underwear drills and competitions.

No and No to your two questions.
I'm as calm as always.
Now please answer the second question I asked. You answered the first above.

You said athletic so define athleticism? SPARQ is a good measure of athleticism. As for the Gophers having the most athletic LBs in the conference? That's a stretch. I think you are forgetting nearly everyone in the B1G has a good defense and a good LB core.

Coughlin would be the one athletic freak. Only Coughlin and Poock had other power 5 offers. Cashman was a walk on. Minnesota was by far the best offer for the rest of them.

You said athletic so define athleticism? SPARQ is a good measure of athleticism. As for the Gophers having the most athletic LBs in the conference? That's a stretch. I think you are forgetting nearly everyone in the B1G has a good defense and a good LB core.

Coughlin would be the one athletic freak. Only Coughlin and Poock had other power 5 offers. Cashman was a walk on. Minnesota was by far the best offer for the rest of them.

What I said was, we already have an athletic group of LB and that adding these two is great, but I don't see them as upgrades in athleticism compared to what is there now. I also said one the the more athletic groups in BIG, not the most athletic.

As someone else just said, SPARQ is a measure of how they do in drills, not on how they play football. It's great they have high scores and they look like good prospects.

Will agree with you about Coughlin. The others may not have had other offers, but so what, they are pretty darn good LB and know how to play the game at a high level.

Offer lists are similar to draft position. Number of offers/lack of offers is like a high draft/undrafted. There are good players in each bunch.

Do we have sparq scores for the current players? If we don't how can we really measure it?

Top Bottom