Gopher Football Position Preview: Defensive Line

DanielHouse

Reaction score
By: Daniel House- Follow on Twitter: @DanielHouseNFL

A new defensive system, depth concerns, and inexperience leave a few question marks on defense as the 2017 season approaches.

The Gophers’ defensive line faces depth concerns on the edge after Hendrick Ekpe graduated and Gaelin Elmore transferred. The team didn’t necessarily lose production, but will need to compensate for lost snaps. This can be done with the new philosophy on defense.

This defensive system will shuffle players around and put the best 11 players on the field. The coaches will heavily rotate players to garner their complete skill-set. With the depth concerns at defensive end, Winston DeLattiboudere and Tai’yon Devers will need to step up in their second full seasons with the Gophers.

Minnesota will use a base 4-3 defense, but at times, it will look similar to a 3-4 look with edge-rushers standing up. This will completely utilize the skill-sets of Tai’yon Devers and Carter Coughlin, who will likely be featured in this role. The coaches are going to creatively get after the passer as they continue to build upon the pass rush that was established last year. In 2016, the Gophers posted their highest sack total in four seasons. They did this by being extra aggressive and sending more pressure throughout certain portions of the season.

Total sacks:

2016- 37 sacks (4th Big Ten- more aggressive)

2015- 22 sacks (11th)

2014- 27 sacks (9th)

2013- 18 sacks (10th)

The goal for the Gophers should be continue elevating their sack total as they add new wrinkles to their defense. You are going to see different players shuffled around in various situations to find the best possible matchups. Creating sacks and turnovers will help the Gophers win the turnover battle, which has always been a key element in P.J. Fleck’s past success.

Looking into the horizon, the Gophers have three senior defensive tackles, but there isn’t a sophomore on the roster. This means young players will need to step up in 2018. Nonetheless, the strong defensive line recruiting class with Elijah Teague, and potentially, Noah Shannon will only help this future depth issue.

An Inside-Look:

Additions: DE Noah Hickcox, DE Boye Mafe, DE Esezi Otomewo, DE Nathan Umlor, DT Austin Schirck, DT Royal Silver (JUCO transfer)

Subtractions: DE Gaelin Elmore (transferred), DT Scott Ekpe (graduated), DE Hendrick Ekpe (graduated), DT Yoshoub Timms (graduate)

Projected Base 4-3 starting lineup: DeLattiboudere, Stetler, Richardson, Devers

Defensive Ends:

Winston DeLattiboudere- Redshirt Sophomore

As a freshman, Winston DeLattiboudere burst on the scene as an instant contributor on the defensive line. He showed his speed off the edge, notching 1.5 sacks and 3.5 tackles for loss. He has a compact build and uses a blend of power and speed to cause havoc. DeLattiboudere wins by exploding out of his stance and using his upper body strength to outmuscle opposing offensive lineman. He has developed a nice spin move and push-pull in his pass rushing arsenal. He continues to learn more moves and has shown growth under the instruction of defensive line coach Bryce Paup. I was particularly pleased to see how he was starting to use his hands more this spring. DeLattiboudere is a player who could see some action in the stand up edge rushing look the Gophers will implement in their defense this season.

Tai’yon Devers- DE- Sophomore

If you aren’t excited to see what Tai’yon Devers will do in this defensive system, you should be. The raw pass rusher, who turned heads with his electrifying sacks, had the offseason to refine aspects of his game. He appeared to add more weight and received quality instruction with Bryce Paup this spring. Devers developed more pass rushing moves and isn’t winning solely off athleticism anymore. Now, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound defensive end needs to be more consistent. He’ll be placed in the edge rushing looks, which will garner his athleticism. However, he must show he has the physical strength to add more power to his skill-set. As he worked this spring, he started to use his hands more and improved his rips and swim moves. Devers is one of the players I’m most intrigued to see on the field in this defense.

Jerry Gibson- DE- Redshirt Junior

Jerry Gibson only played in four games last season, notching two tackles. However, the redshirt junior will need to step up as depth at defensive end is hard to come by. Gibson was a converted tight end, who needs work on the fundamental aspects of the game. His footwork has a tendency to plod and he has a difficult time handling more physical offensive lineman. He needs to become more of a finesse player and that can happen with more focus on the smaller details of his game.

Sam Renner- DE- Redshirt Sophomore

Sam Renner made the transition from tight end, to the defensive line and continues to work on mastering the technique of the position. He is a preferred walk-on who will provide depth in case an emergency strikes the group.

Boye Mafe- DE- Freshman

Hopkins High School standout Boye Mafe brings athleticism and physicality to the Gophers’ defensive line. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Mafe needs to put on more weight as he transitions to the collegiate level. He has experience as an outside linebacker and can be an asset in coverage. Mafe might be a player that is groomed into the edge rusher component of this defensive system. He has a 6-foot, 10-inch wingspan which allows him to be disruptive with his hands in passing lanes. If he adds more to his frame, to pair with his athleticism and length, Mafe could turn out to be a special player in the future.

Esezi Otomewo- DE- Freshman

If you want length, speed, and athleticism, Esezi Otomewo will be one of your favorite players. He wins with his first step, but must develop more pass rushing moves. On tape, he is surprisingly good against the run, pulling off of blocks, breaking down, and making tackles in space. He needs to add more strength to his upper body to handle the physicality at the next level. Otomewo struggles when he can’t win off speed or coverage sacks. Nonetheless, he has all the traits you are looking for in a developmental defensive end prospect.

Nathan Umlor- DE- Freshman

Nathan Umlor played offensive line in high school, but hinted at a switch to defensive end on his Twitter account. I can see why this switch is taking place. His defensive line tape was very impressive. He has an excellent burst off the snap and stays low to gain leverage. Umlor uses a strong rip or swim move to get position and he explodes quickly to pick up a sack. He also is light on his feet to quickly change direction and make a run stop. If he is indeed making a switch, I’ll be interested to see how he develops with improved footwork and pass rushing moves.

Defensive Tackles:

Steven Richardson- DT- Senior

Steven Richardson is arguably one of the most underrated defensive lineman in the entire Big Ten. Richardson was named All-Big Ten Third team after notching 31 tackles (11 for loss) and seven sacks in 2016. At times, Richardson was seemingly unstoppable inside, creating inside pressure consistently. According to Pro Football Focus, Richardson will return the most quarterback pressures (41) among Big Ten defensive tackles. He wins with an extremely smooth, compact, and explosive first step. Richardson’s light feet and refined pass rushing moves allow him to compensate for being undersized inside. He will be the anchor inside for a defensive line that needs his leadership.

Andrew Stelter- DT- Senior

Andrew Stelter played in 13 games and started five last season as he rotated into the defensive line. Stelter brings great size and run stuffing ability to the interior of the defensive line. Not to mention, he’s proven he can get after the quarterback. He has very long arms and uses them to rip through and get inside position. Stelter has a tendency to play stiff and his footwork isn’t light. This seems to be a consistency problem because it only creeps into his skill-set once and awhile. However, when he stays low and uses his combination of upper/lower body strength, he is a force inside. He has a nice blend of speed and power for a player with his size, which allows him to be disruptive inside.

Merrick Jackson- DT- Redshirt Senior

It’s been very cool to see Merrick Jackson’s progression under the new staff. I remember watching Coach Fleck push him in one of the first spring practices. Fleck was encouraging Jackson to sprint between drills and take more reps. By the end of the spring session, Jackson was really making an impact. An issue in the past for Jackson has been his inconsistent motor. He had a tendency to take plays off, but that has changed. He was first in line to take reps and his footwork evolved under new instruction. He has excellent size inside and could be a dominant run stuffer if he refines his technique. It’s clear the coaching staff sees this as they continue to push him. Jackson could see rotational reps inside on rushing downs if he continues to progress.

Gary Moore- DT- Redshirt Junior

Gary Moore played in just four games last year and will be one of the lone experienced players heading into the 2018 season. He has some untapped athleticism the coaches could unleash inside. He has a nice blend of power, speed, and length inside to potentially play some three-technique. Moore has just never developed his skill-set and I’m curious to see how he evolves under Bryce Paup’s instruction.

Royal Silver- DT- Junior

Royal Silver is a JUCO transfer defensive tackle that will provide more depth at the defensive tackle spot. He wins by staying low and using his core strength to fight through double teams. Silver will be an excellent run stuffer and can get after the quarterback with a compact and explosive burst out of his stance. He wins with a blend of power and light feet for a player with his frame. It will be important to have Silver’s experience at defensive tackle going into next season.

Noah Hickcox- DT/DE- Freshman

During his junior year in high school, Noah Hickcox notched 46 tackles (16 for loss), five sacks, and four forced fumbles at defensive end. He wins with strength and power on a consistent basis, as speed isn’t a strength in his skill-set. I see him projecting more as a defensive tackle because he measures in at 6’4” 285 pounds. He could play three-technique inside because of his past experience at defensive end. Hickcox was very reliable as a run defender on tape and effortlessly fights through blocks because of his size. His footwork could use work and he will continue to develop pass rushing moves as he transitions to the collegiate level.

Malcolm Robinson- DT- Freshman

Malcolm Robinson is a player I could see rotating into the defensive line to provide rest for starters. Robinson gets leverage off the snap and does an excellent job of fighting through double teams to make run stops. He plays with a strong motor and delivers ferocious hits to the whistle. I see Robinson being a two-down defensive tackle that can be very productive against the run. I believe he can develop more pass rushing skills in the future, too. I’m very intrigued to see how he performs in fall practices.

Austin Schirck- DT- Freshman

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Austin Schirck was simply dominant on film as he tossed offensive lineman out of the way to make tackles. He plays with power, strength and explosion out of his stance. Schirck has a strong rip to power through blockers for a sack. He uses his hands well to fight through blocks and gain leverage as well. Schirck also did a great job of staying home against the run and containing the outside. His length and power inside may be a nice asset within the interior of the Gophers’ defensive line.

Quinn Coughlin- DT- Freshman

Quinn Coughlin will likely redshirt and provide future depth on the defensive line.

Nice report! Very elite for that matter!

Great summary Daniel! I have a couple of questions for you...
Is Devers still only 215!?!? He hasn't added any weight? If he can fill out he has really great potential.
Has the staff given any indication as to which true freshmen they anticipate will play? Granted fall practice will tell the tale but it looks as though a few of those kids have the size already.
Lastly, more of a comment that Richardson reminds me a lot of Aaron Donald the former Pitt grad with the Rams who has been all world, very similar type of player...compact, explosive, and relentless. I bet that Richardson surprises at the all star game practices and ends up being pretty hyped up. Hope he stays healthy and has a great season, he will be needed!

So, we have 16 defensive linemen. We will lose 3 after the 2017 season. No doubt they are solid to excellent performers but we will add 3,4,5 more incoming with the next class. Maybe the situation isn't ideal but I don't see it as the crisis panic point that is constantly pointed out by PJ. But, we can talk it into reality if that's the goal. I guess I'm confident Paup can develop a competent unit out the 16-18 plus candidates he will have.

I believe we had more sacks in one game last year than we did from an entire season in the mid-2000s.

So, we have 16 defensive linemen. We will lose 3 after the 2017 season. No doubt they are solid to excellent performers but we will add 3,4,5 more incoming with the next class. Maybe the situation isn't ideal but I don't see it as the crisis panic point that is constantly pointed out by PJ. But, we can talk it into reality if that's the goal. I guess I'm confident Paup can develop a competent unit out the 16-18 plus candidates he will have.

Pretty sure he was talking about defensive tackles specifically and they might only have one upperclassmen depending on if Moore comes back. They should be fine as long as freshman are prepared to play major minutes.

And - goes without saying, but - the more pressure the D-line and LB's can put on opposing QB's, the more time that buys for the relatively young secondary to develop.

Just for fun, looked up a few stats. Gophers have had only 4 players with double-digit sacks in a season: two did it twice each.
1. Lamanzer Williams 18.5 in 1997 is the all-time single-season leader.
2. Karon Riley 16 in 1999 and 13 in 2000.
3. Ben Mezera 12 in '99. (to be honest, I'd forgotten about Mezera. Was surprised to see he had that many sacks in a season)
4. Willie Van De Steeg 10.5 in 2008 & 10 in 2006.

Here's a trivia item - the #8 player on the single-season sack list, with 8 sacks in 1998 - Tyrone Carter.

Cashman is tied for 9th place with his 7.5 sacks from last season.

Riley is the career leader with 29 sacks. Lamanzer is 2nd with 23.5, and Mezera is 3rd with 22. VanDeSteeg 4th with 21.5.

Willie Van De Steeg would have 10 sacks for the year and 15 total tackles.

And - goes without saying, but - the more pressure the D-line and LB's can put on opposing QB's, the more time that buys for the relatively young secondary to develop.

Just for fun, looked up a few stats. Gophers have had only 4 players with double-digit sacks in a season: two did it twice each.
3. Ben Mezera 12 in '99. (to be honest, I'd forgotten about Mezera. Was surprised to see he had that many sacks in a season)

Here's a trivia item - the #8 player on the single-season sack list, with 8 sacks in 1998 - Tyrone Carter.

Riley is the career leader with 29 sacks. Lamanzer is 2nd with 23.5, and Mezera is 3rd with 22. VanDeSteeg 4th with 21.5.

Very interesting. Thanks

1) I don't see Devers being at 215. He's listed there, but that number has to be updated. He has to be up at least 10 pounds.
2) Coach Fleck hasn't given much of an indication, but three freshman I'd keep an eye on are Blaise Andries, Chris Autman-Bell, and Jake Paulson.
3) Aaron Donald is an interesting comp. He has a similar compact and explosive build. I also see similarities in their pass rushing moves. Donald is better against the run, which is something Richardson could improve upon. I think he'll get some buzz as an interior third down rotational DT at the next level.

Great summary Daniel! I have a couple of questions for you...
Is Devers still only 215!?!? He hasn't added any weight? If he can fill out he has really great potential.
Has the staff given any indication as to which true freshmen they anticipate will play? Granted fall practice will tell the tale but it looks as though a few of those kids have the size already.
Lastly, more of a comment that Richardson reminds me a lot of Aaron Donald the former Pitt grad with the Rams who has been all world, very similar type of player...compact, explosive, and relentless. I bet that Richardson surprises at the all star game practices and ends up being pretty hyped up. Hope he stays healthy and has a great season, he will be needed!

I agree, the guys they are recruiting are solid and will come in right away. Having Bryce Paup will only make this inexperience less of an issue. Ahanotu, Richter, Okonji and Teague will be just fine.

This further illustrates the need for an overhaul of approach at the defensive line position. I've always been very frustrated with the lack of a pass rush up front. It starts with recruiting players you can develop and fit within your system. I'm already happier with the recruiting philosophy I've seen so far in 2018. Bryce Paup being the DL coach will be a huge asset as well.

Top Bottom