Decommits to date:

hungan1

Reaction score
From 247 Sports:

Jaylen Mayfield OT 6'5" 273 (Grand Rapids MI) decommitted 3/26/17. Committed to Michigan 5/23/17, his rating shot up to 0.8961. Has 16 offers.

Owenmwen Uzebu OT 6'6" 305 (Alpharetta, GA) decommitted 5/24/17. Rated 0.8640. Has 20 offers, but not from Georgia. His mom may want him close to home. May reconsider Gophers, but the door is quickly shutting down. Still lists MN as warm.

Noah Shannon DT 6' 1/2" 305 (Oswego IL) decommitted 5/28/17. Rated 0.8590. Has 18 offers. Recently camped at Penn State and Wisconsin. Visited Iowa 6/10/17. Warm on MN and Iowa.

Nolan Edmunds RB 5' 10-1/2" 205 (Alpharetta GA) decommitted 6/23/17). Rated 0.8563. Has 21 offers. Had 7 offers after initially committing to the Gophers on 3/15/17. Visited Michigan State on 6/21/17.

I think this is a combo of 3 factors, in descending impact:

1. Fleck's recruiting style (pressuring them to commit and join the culture, compared to Kill not taking a commit until they sat on it for a day and made sure it was what they wanted). This will naturally lead to more double guessing. I'm sure Fleck will always lose some of the early big names with this style, but I think he will also get some big names to stick.

2. The early nature of the recruiting process. Guys still have lots of time to change their mind, or to pick up new and better offers. I am fine with decommits now, but not in January.

3. Switching schools becoming more prevalent. I don't have data to back this up but I am guessing with the advent of social media in the last 5-10 years more guys feel pressure from fans/coaches/friends, and a number get caught up in the celebrity of being a recruit on social media as well. I think this is the smallest factor in why we'll see more decommits from Fleck than from Kill.

1. Fleck's recruiting style (pressuring them to commit and join the culture, compared to Kill not taking a commit until they sat on it for a day and made sure it was what they wanted). This will naturally lead to more double guessing. I'm sure Fleck will always lose some of the early big names with this style, but I think he will also get some big names to stick.

2. The early nature of the recruiting process. Guys still have lots of time to change their mind, or to pick up new and better offers. I am fine with decommits now, but not in January.

3. Switching schools becoming more prevalent. I don't have data to back this up but I am guessing with the advent of social media in the last 5-10 years more guys feel pressure from fans/coaches/friends, and a number get caught up in the celebrity of being a recruit on social media as well. I think this is the smallest factor in why we'll see more decommits from Fleck than from Kill.

Maybe it shows respect for Fleck's staff as talent judges

What will be interesting is whether Peej will be tempted to cut bait for a higher rated guy. Our class is on pace to be wrapped up before the season even starts and what if we make a bit of a splash and those four stars start sniffing? Hopefully we have that problem. Would be surprised if Peej dropped a guy but, hey, New territory for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all of the factors.
Along with this first one, the recruiting philosophy of Kill/Claeys was to find those players that they felt were in that 1/3 of players who could make the NFL but did not have those top 25 P5 offers. So, most of the guys they had commits from, The U was one of their "better" offers.
Fleck has a different philosophy and is going after players who have multiple top 25 P5 offers. Those players may look at an offer from The U as not one of their "better" offers. So, when other schools offer after they have verbally committed to The U, they have a change of heart. If PJ has a good to great season and builds the program up even more, then maybe those decommit numbers will drop in the future.

What will be interesting is whether Peej will be tempted to cut bait for a higher rated guy. Our class is on pace to be wrapped up before the season even starts and what if we make a bit of a splash and those four stars start sniffing? Hopefully we have that problem. Would be surprised if Peej dropped a guy but, hey, New territory for us.

Take a hike troll.

I really don't care if he does do that.

For some people it's not enough to win, you have to also take every minnesota kid, or play nice on the recruiting trail, or have an understated personality.

Take a hike troll.

Not on your lawn, gramps. Also it's the other side of the equation.

Seriously though, the surly incivility of some posters is one of the more shocking aspects of this site. Guessing the majority of us are well meaning alum...

Peej? You a close personal friend?

For some people it's not enough to win, you have to also take every minnesota kid, or play nice on the recruiting trail, or have an understated personality.

And for others everything PJF does, says, poops, or thinks is perfect and elite.

Sounds like what Mac Brown used to try to do at Texas...

Not on your lawn, gramps. Also it's the other side of the equation.

Seriously though, the surly incivility of some posters is one of the more shocking aspects of this site. Guessing the majority of us are well meaning alum...

Gopherphile as in "Pedophile"...." PeeJ " ? Give me a friken break

Want Ferentz to be proven correct?

I don't care what Ferentz thinks. We've pretty much been on the same level as them over the last 5 years. I want Fleck to get us over that.

Gopherphile as in "Pedophile"...." PeeJ " ? Give me a friken break

You know that -phile means someone who has an affinity for something, right? As in, a Francophile is someone who likes France or a cinephile is someone who enjoys movies.

It's a perfectly innocent word. Maybe try educating yourself before you weirdly fly off the handle.

You know that -phile means someone who has an affinity for something, right? As in, a Francophile is someone who likes France or a cinephile is someone who enjoys movies.

It's a perfectly innocent word. Maybe try educating yourself before you weirdly fly off the handle.

Just as I thought, he is a dpodollphile.

Gee Wheez Lious! Why can't we all get along in GH Land. We've got a lot to look forward to and it is exciting. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

Not buying it. Maybe if he hadn't attached pee-j with it. He doesn't strike me as smart enough to insert " phile " in his moniker. Plus, his post is rather condescending. As was his reply to me. You have a habit of not being able to look beyond the end of you nose depo.

Whoa... y'all trippin'... wtf do any of this got to do w what the topic is SUPPOSED to be. There's been a lot of decommits and the commits we've gotten are ok but not mind blowing. The decommits are usually guys who get a better offer. So, I think that's much more concerning than wether Phile means this or that... chill out yo....

Top Bottom