Florida DE Mayan Ahanotu Commits to the Gophers!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Tampa, FL DE Mayan Ahanotu has committed to the Gophers over offers from California, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Boston College, Illinois, Iowa State, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, and others.

Mayan is the son of 12-year NFL veteran Chidi Ahanotu, who compiled 46.5 career sacks at defensive end. He most notably played under former Gopher quarterback Tony Dungy with the Tampa Buccaneers.

At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Ahanotu has a nice blend of length and explosion to play inside. He will be able to add more bulk and upper body strength to take his game to the next level. More importantly, Ahanotu's great set of pass rushing moves allow him to win consistently. He has experience playing both on the outside and inside. I see him being a player that could easily play three technique inside on pass rushing downs. Ahanotu is a finesse style player that has an impressive motor. He uses his hands very well to win against offensive lineman by exploding out of his stance and ripping through with a push-pull or spin move. Not to mention, he's light on his feet for a player with his size, which will allow him to be effective inside on pass rushing downs. Ahanotu will provide consistent support against the run as well because of his freakish skill-set. It is very rare you'll find a player with relatively polished footwork and pass rushing moves coming into college. Defensive line coach Bryce Paup will only take this to the next level with more coaching.

With Ahanotu, Elijah Teague, Logan Richter, and Abi Okonji committed, along with the potential addition of Noah Shannon, the Gophers are building a very talented defensive line.

Ahanotu's commitment is the 19th in the class of 2018, which ranks 20th nationally and 6th in the Big Ten.

Here's Ahanotu's tape: https://t.co/xtREPW5tyD

Heck of an offer list for this kid.

Just what the Dr ordered. AWESOME!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news! Apparently his father was a Cal legacy. Welcome aboard!

WOW!!! Nice get here. Hope he stays solid all the way to signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Weird that rivals has him as just a 2 star guy. Is he someone that blew up recently?

Almost all of his offers are within the last 4 months. Not sure the last time Rivals evaluated him

If he is the 170th best player in Florida, I say we do all our recruiting there from now on.
I think he caused 7 or more fumbles in his tape. Great motor, good at shedding blockers, and the kid seems to really love football.

Looking at his Twitter account a friend mentioned that now Shannon may commit tomorrow.
It sounds like his friends are really supporting him being maroon and gold.
Abi Okonji said, "We gonna have QB's having nightmares���� Welcome to the Family #RTB."

Another friend mentioned that academics come first for him. Another said he will be with the Bucs soon. Logan Richter sent congrats as did Brevyn Spann-Ford.

My faith in Fleck is growing each week.

Awesome! Welcome aboard Tampa Football players!

Awesome! It's exciting to land these guys with major Power 5 offers. It's refreshing to not see a bunch of MAC schools and NDSU as their other offers. That's not a shot at any individual player, just saying it's nice to see guys pick the Gophers over seemingly "better" programs.

<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:75%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/a0Lgc1JvbfS4o" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-a0Lgc1JvbfS4o">via GIPHY</a></p>

Ahanotu's senior highlights. Looks like a man amongst boys. He is one of my favorite recruits for this class, the kid has about 20 power 5 offers.

http://www.hudl.com/v/28G2ka

In the long run, recruiting is almost everything - any system will work if the talent is there, with some discipline. The offer list here is very encouraging.

I don't follow recruiting closely because of all the changes that happen over the long months between verbal and dotted line, so I had no idea we had this kid committed. Holy cow. Stud. Plays with his hands, can rush from the 3 or 9 tech, high motor. Offer list a mile a long from all over the country: Arizona, MSU, Miss St. NC St, on and on. 40 time looks quite slow which is the only negative I can see. Thanks for posting these highlights...it picked up my dobber a bit after that debacle on Saturday!

I don't follow recruiting closely because of all the changes that happen over the long months between verbal and dotted line, so I had no idea we had this kid committed. Holy cow. Stud. Plays with his hands, can rush from the 3 or 9 tech, high motor. Offer list a mile a long from all over the country: Arizona, MSU, Miss St. NC St, on and on. 40 time looks quite slow which is the only negative I can see. Thanks for posting these highlights...it picked up my dobber a bit after that debacle on Saturday!

Right... cause a 40 time for D-Lineman is a really important stat.....

Top Bottom