Percentage of commits that actually sign

Jack jones

Reaction score
I am getting concerned about the decommits. Does anyone have "stats" from previous years showing the nu early commitments that actually ended up signing a scholarship? I do realize this is an unexact science.

I am getting concerned about the decommits. Does anyone have "stats" from previous years showing the nu early commitments that actually ended up signing a scholarship? I do realize this is an unexact science.

That would require us having early commitments in previous years.

It's not fair to expect PJ's verbal commitments to sign a LOI in his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill had like 1 or 2 a year usually. I don't think it's something to worry about. Doesn't matter if 50 kids decommit as long as we finish with a good class on signing day.

My gut tells me that this is a growing trend in college FB - not a U of MN or Fleck problem - it's broader than that.

bottom line - we're talking about 16 or 17-year-old kids. remember when you were 16 or 17? Now imagine having to make a life-altering decision, all while having people tell you you're the greatest thing ever and showering praise on you. It takes a really level-headed kid to handle all of that and make a good decision. Plus, social media, websites, twitter, instagram, Facebook, etc have created the instant-response reaction to every recruiting decision. Shoot, there was a time, youngsters, when no one knew anything about recruiting classes until signing day - and then, it was "who the bleep are these guys?"

And - trying to be careful here - some of the athletes being recruited in D1 college FB may not be coming out of the most stable home environments, or have a good support system around them to help them make a good decision.

So a kid is being recruited, likes the spiel from Coach 'A' and commits. Then, kid hears a different spiel from Coach 'B' and wonders, did I make a mistake? So he de-commits from Coach 'A's school and flips to Coach B's school.

I will be interested to see what happens when the early signing dates become official. how many kids will be willing to make a final decision earlier in the process? And will that cut down on the number of de-commits? To be determined.

Meh...don't know, don't care. Only care about the final product and wins next year. Go Gophers!

For the Gophers or nationally?

I see lots of decommits coming not because of the player but because of PJ he wants commits fast and when he lands better player at same position he will ask player to decommit.Just like these last couple guys and all the signed guys from Tracy squad. So I would expect there to be between 10-15.

I see lots of decommits coming not because of the player but because (of)PJ he wants commits fast...

And better teams watch who he gets commitments from. Then they offer the kid and steal him away. Happens to many of the traditional non-New Years Bowl teams.

LmY5p.gif

The question I have, springboarding off the OP, is whether our early verbal are using us as a means of increasing their profiles in hopes of getting a bigger Power 5 school to offer.

Is UMN, at this point, just a marketing tool for recruits to get the more established Power 5 schools to come fishing?

The question I have, springboarding off the OP, is whether our early verbal are using us as a means of increasing their profiles in hopes of getting a bigger Power 5 school to offer.

Is UMN, at this point, just a marketing tool for recruits to get the more established Power 5 schools to come fishing?

Surely you would have examples for this hot take. Please do provide.

Surely you would have examples for this hot take. Please do provide.
How do I provide examples to a question, my little Flecker?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

How do I provide examples to a question, my little Flecker?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

If you think there's a possibility it's happening why wouldn't you have examples?

So perhaps you prefer the Kill/Claeys recruiting style of "wait till the end" ?

If you think there's a possibility it's happening why wouldn't you have examples?
The only one I can think of is the kid who just decommited to go to Michigan State. Does that appease you my little Flecker?

Would the star rating be any different?

What I prefer is winning. We have been winning more than losing the past 3 years. That has been refreshing. I look forward to the new regime continuing this trend.

Johnny, I don't have anything against you being a Flecker. It's your choice and right to be thrilled with Fleck. However, just share your opinion on the OP rather than get your Flecker bent.

Johnny, I don't have anything against you being a Flecker. It's your choice and right to be thrilled with Fleck. However, just share your opinion on the OP rather than get your Flecker bent.

He's looking for stats not an opinion but keep trolling as you do.

UMN, and every other school that isn't a powerhouse. That's often how it works, this is nothing new.

I see lots of decommits coming not because of the player but because of PJ he wants commits fast and when he lands better player at same position he will ask player to decommit.Just like these last couple guys and all the signed guys from Tracy squad. So I would expect there to be between 10-15.

I certainly don't stick up for PJ reflexively like some on here- but there's no evidence he does what your saying as a matter of habit or philosophy. Last years decommit rampage can simply be ascribed to wanting his own commits with whom he either had existing relationships or that fit his system better. This years 4 decommit so far have NOT been asked to decommit for the sake of a better option coming along. We still don't have any OT commits to replace the two who backed out nor a new DT commit. Furthermore the RB decommitted to sign on with a historically better squad (over the last 10 years).

247 shows only 1,1 and 2 decommit for Kills last 3 full years. Quite a few more the last 2 years easily attributed to the upheaval around the program.

I think there is some anecdotal evidence that PJ tries to cajole kids into committing early so it's not surprising some kids and families want to rethink everything when they get contacted by other teams with so much time left before NSD. PJs style as opposed to Kill's desire for the kids to think it over prior to committing likely will result in having more decommits annually- so another reason to not get too hi or low during the recruiting season!

That seems high to me, I'm guessing we've already gone through most of them, but we shall see.

247 shows only 1,1 and 2 decommit for Kills last 3 full years. Quite a few more the last 2 years easily attributed to the upheaval around the program.

I think there is some anecdotal evidence that PJ tries to cajole kids into committing early so it's not surprising some kids and families want to rethink everything when they get contacted by other teams with so much time left before NSD. PJs style as opposed to Kill's desire for the kids to think it over prior to committing likely will result in having more decommits annually- so another reason to not get too hi or low during the recruiting season!

This seems pretty reasonable.

I still can't come up with anything concrete that explains this idea that early "commits" are better than late commits. I have heard a bunch of theories (interests other kids, let's you know where to focus, etc.), but I think that might just be wishful thinking - especially if there are a bunch of flips (and then other "commits" lose interest, you have been focusing elsewhere, are now behind on other prospects, etc.). I guess if I had to choose I would vote for getting as many early commits as possible - but this narrative that it must be better is overstated to say the least. More seeing what you want to see, IMO. All that really matters is the end game (and not even that in year 1 for some now).

Top Bottom