Nebraska 2017-18

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens...cle_2933521c-5867-11e7-919f-23670a222f13.html

Huskers land Cain.

The Nebraska women's basketball team nabbed a late signee for the 2017 recruiting class who could give the Huskers immediate help in the frontcourt.

Kate Cain, a 6-foot-5 forward from Pine Bush, N.Y., announced on her Instagram account that she'd committed to Nebraska. Cain asked for and received her release from Delaware recently after the Blue Hens' coach announced her retirement in April.

Cain, a four-star prospect, was the nation's No. 82 recruit according to ESPN, and averaged 25 points, 22 rebounds and eight blocks per game for Pine Bush High School, located 90 miles north of New York City. Her parents played college basketball, and she fielded top Division I offer, but initially chose Delaware.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens...cle_a3076182-6d43-51ba-b60c-bcfe25046bd8.html

Omaha World-Herald recaps Amy Williams presser:

Better guard depth should help, too. Women’s basketball is a guard’s game and the Huskers had few experienced options last season, especially players who could get to the rim and protect the ball. NU committed an average of 17.5 turnovers per game last season.

Now Nebraska has seven guards and two more players — Taylor Kissinger and Grace Mitchell — who can play guard if necessary. NU added transfers Bria Stallworth (Massachusetts) and Janay Morton (Eastern Michigan) — both sat out last season per NCAA guidelines — and five-star recruit Kissinger, who scored 1,751 points in her career at Minden High School.

Stallworth averaged 13 points and 3.8 assists per game for UMass as a freshman, transferring after the school fired its coach. As for Kissinger, Williams said she has stunned the Huskers’ scout teamers with her 3-point shooting skills...

...Nebraska’s frontcourt is a much bigger question. Without Shepard — or center Allie Havers, who used up her basketball eligibility — NU is left with freshman Kate Cain, junior Darrien Washington and sophomore Rachel Blackburn, who missed all of last season recovering from knee surgery. Williams and Blackburn’s teammates said last season Blackburn’s presence could have been worth a few more wins.

In her Nebraska bio, it said Minnesota was in the mix for Cain after she bailed on Delaware.

Cain was released from her NLI after a coaching change at Delaware during the offseason. She chose Nebraska over Virginia, Minnesota and Dayton. She will have four years of eligibility at Nebraska beginning immediately in the 2017-18 season.

[video]https://social.newsinc.com/media/json/69017/33459555/singleVideoOG.html?type=VideoPlayer/Single&widgetId=2&trackingGroup=69017&videoId=33459555[/video]

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/wome...cle_59d1c068-008f-11e8-bf86-bba429352a95.html

I assume Shades' post was about Yori. But I could be wrong.

Connie Yori has rejoined the Creighton women’s basketball program.

Yori, who played and coached at Creighton before moving to Nebraska, will serve as an adviser for CU women’s basketball. Her duties will include working with the coaching staff on strategy, scouting opponents and participating in on-campus recruiting.

“Bringing Connie on staff will have tremendous value for our program both in the immediate future and in the long term,” Creighton coach Jim Flanery said in a press release. “Day-to-day, she adds unique experience as a former head coach to break down game film and ask questions from a different perspective.

“In addition, she is someone who has both understood our program from the inside, but has also been outside the program for many years. She’ll be able to give us an idea of where we can improve overall.”

Yori, who scored more than 2,000 points at Creighton, began coaching as an assistant with the Jays in 1986. She got her first head coaching job at Loras College — a Division III school in Iowa — and became the Jays’ coach in 1992, succeeding current Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/wome...cle_f862431e-016c-11e8-941a-f35b0ae52b6b.html

Some Yori from her Creighton presser:

But in Yori style, she addressed Nebraska in her opening statement.

“I do want to make a statement regarding Nebraska,” Yori said. “I think things happen for a reason, and the last 22 months have been an absolutely godsend for me because I’ve had time to spend with my son (13-year-old Luke) that I haven’t had as much. My parents went into assisted living about the time I left Nebraska.

“The time I got to spend with (Luke), I can’t get that time back. I can’t get the time back with my parents. I love being a stay-home parent. That’s been really fun for me. I get to be home when my son gets home.

“I had the choice to stay at Nebraska and I chose to leave, largely because I wanted that family time, time to spend with my son, Luke, and my parents.”

Later, Yori interrupted an answer to a question about her role at Creighton.

“I want to go back to the Nebraska thing, and this needs to be said,” Yori said. “Most of the things that were said and written about me were just not true. They’re inaccurate.

“I do want you to know that. That’s just not the way it went down. Like I said, I left for family reasons. I know people won’t believe that, but that’s just how it happened.”...

...Yori said she couldn’t comment further on Nebraska, including whether she was railroaded out by Eichorst — a notion that several Husker coaches believed and were furious about.

She was one of the most respected coaches on campus. On Wednesday, former Nebraska volleyball coach Terry Pettit posted on Twitter that Yori “is the best basketball coach (male or female) that I witnessed in my 27 years at Nebraska. There are a dozen men’s coaches (Calipari, Pitino, Brown, Boeheim etc.) who put their schools on probation and kept their jobs. She deserved better support.”

Again, Yori wasn’t going there.

But if you thought this new Creighton gig was a way for her to ease back into coaching, think again. Yori dropped this bombshell: She’s done.

“I have no interest in coaching anymore,” Yori said. “I am not seeking to get back in it. I have no desire to get back into it at the same level.”

I guess it’s time to recognize Nebraska as a legitimate threat in the BIG. When Gophers lost to them I thought it would be a bad loss; it’s still may be in terms of keeping the Gophers out of the NCAA’s but Cornhuskers have turned into a quality opponent.

I guess it’s time to recognize Nebraska as a legitimate threat in the BIG. When Gophers lost to them I thought it would be a bad loss; it’s still may be in terms of keeping the Gophers out of the NCAA’s but Cornhuskers have turned into a quality opponent.

They go through stretches like last night when I wonder how the Gophers lost to them; but then the Huskers knock down a couple of threes and get a couple of steals and they are on their way

Nebraska still must play Maryland twice; but the remainder of the schedule is favorable: @ Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, @ Michigan State, @ Indiana, and Penn State.

In all fairness, I look at the Nebraska loss as one that gophers lost more than Nebraska won. It was a game where Kiki took a lot of forced shots (some could of gotten free-throws on) and Wagner only got 7 shots total. Add in Fernstrom not playing a single minute and gophers still lead by 1 with 40+ seconds left in game. I think if gophers get 6th seed in Big Ten tournament and Nebraska gets third, I would love to see the gophers get another crack at them and I feel they could get them if matched up again.

Side Note, I view the Rutgers loss in the same light. Gophers lost it more than Rutgers took the win from them. especially with Bell's last second miss that I feel she would make 9 out of 10 times.

Ohio St is the only team I feel that took it the gophers.

They go through stretches like last night when I wonder how the Gophers lost to them; but then the Huskers knock down a couple of threes and get a couple of steals and they are on their way

Nebraska still must play Maryland twice; but the remainder of the schedule is favorable: @ Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, @ Michigan State, @ Indiana, and Penn State.

In all fairness, I look at the Nebraska loss as one that gophers lost more than Nebraska won. It was a game where Kiki took a lot of forced shots (some could of gotten free-throws on) and Wagner only got 7 shots total. Add in Fernstrom not playing a single minute and gophers still lead by 1 with 40+ seconds left in game. I think if gophers get 6th seed in Big Ten tournament and Nebraska gets third, I would love to see the gophers get another crack at them and I feel they could get them if matched up again.

Side Note, I view the Rutgers loss in the same light. Gophers lost it more than Rutgers took the win from them. especially with Bell's last second miss that I feel she would make 9 out of 10 times.

Ohio St is the only team I feel that took it the gophers.

Agreed, led almost the whole Nebraska game but lost it in the end. Also agreed Bell most of the time makes that shot against Rutgers, problem is their margin is super thin to get into the big dance. Need to solidify by sweeping their home games against quality opponents

Top Bottom