Reusse rips Gopher recruiting

Hopefully they all meet the academic standards at the U. I seem to recall a handful of Brewster recruits that could never meet that minimum and thus never played at UMN.

Not an issue with scholarship players. They have to meet the minimum NCAA standards just like every other school. It does apply to PWO's they are required to meet normal U of M entrance requirements.

Just a hunch, but I highly suspect that Reusse would not have written an article about recruiting if PJ had just landed a 4 star that flipped from MSU, OSU, Florida, Bama, etc.
Something tells me he wouldn't have had a sarcasm laced column discussing how things were never going to get better on the recruiting front, etc.

What I'm saying is he's just trying to get people going.

Just a hunch, but I highly suspect that Reusse would not have written an article about recruiting if PJ had just landed a 4 star that flipped from MSU, OSU, Florida, Bama, etc.
Something tells me he wouldn't have had a sarcasm laced column discussing how things were never going to get better on the recruiting front, etc.

What I'm saying is he's just trying to get people going.

If he got 33 posts and over 2000 views for an innocuous tweet, he certainly did get people going. ;)

Reusse is like a giant pimple on your back that you couldn't pop.

Fleck is not the victim of anything. He is who he is, he is going to sell his expectations of the program and a culture of winning. Did you expect him to tone it down and tell his recruits that they have a chance to finish 3rd in the B1G west? Too many are so quick to criticize the new staff before they have even coached a game.

He is a new, first year P5 coach and there is no way a handful of 4*'s are going to commit to him until he proves himself at this level. Belittle him as much as you want, but there is no doubt he is bringing in more players that other P5 programs want then the prior coaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it belittling a person when SON was basically pointing out that when someone is high energy in your face type person who speaks about a grand vision that they are then held to that standard? It isn't belittling a person it is pointing out human nature. This same board pointed out how Kill used to undersell everything in his first two years. Of course when Kill started talking about more wins and competing for a Big Ten Champ he was held to that standard and frankly the team didn't hit those lofty goals and Kill was held accountable. Fleck wants to talk Big Ten Championships before he coaches his first game then he'll be held to that standard when it comes to recruiting, especially since a major reason the last Coaching staff was let go was over mediocre recruiting.

Me personally, I don't think we will know what we have in Fleck for a couple of years....just like any new coach who has moved up in competition.

Having the bulk of the class filled this early, will allow Fleck and Co. to target some of the bigger fish still available. The much anticipated 4 star recruit may still be out there. Schools poaching our verbals sucks, but it does say something about this staffs evaluation ability.

Having the bulk of the class filled this early, will allow Fleck and Co. to target some of the bigger fish still available. The much anticipated 4 star recruit may still be out there. Schools poaching our verbals sucks, but it does say something about this staffs evaluation ability.

Good point.

Let's all be honest. If PJF is going to go around town mentioning "Ranked in top 20" every chance he gets (ignoring the context of that 'ranking'), then this type of comment is more than justified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever consider that he needs to SELL and if he goes around saying that recruiting is not going well, who would want to commit to that? He has to pump up present success to guarantee future success.

Don't you think Gopher football is fun? Why do you want to take the fun out of it for the rest of us? It's just a sport but my favorite all-time sport.

Did you ever consider that he needs to SELL and if he goes around saying that recruiting is not going well, who would want to commit to that? He has to pump up present success to guarantee future success.

Don't you think Gopher football is fun? Why do you want to take the fun out of it for the rest of us? It's just a sport but my favorite all-time sport.

Of course he has to sell the program. Recruiting is going well so there would be no reason for PJF to say otherwise. My point was if he is going to SELL it by using our Team Ranking in June as the 'evidence', then it is more than fair for Reusse to call BS on it.

A few other of Brew's recruits washed out as well (not 34, but some) - and yet folks will say he was a great recruiter because of some stupid Team Ranking.

During the Brew era, player development was a an issue. Players washing out isn't all recruiting (which he did pretty well), but is closely tied to S&C, instruction, team, culture. Seemed like he was not getting the most out of Team and talent, but I wouldn't call it a recruiting problem.

During the Brew era, player development was a an issue. Players washing out isn't all recruiting (which he did pretty well), but is closely tied to S&C, instruction, team, culture. Seemed like he was not getting the most out of Team and talent, but I wouldn't call it a recruiting problem.

As I said - folks will still argue he was a good recruiter while here. I would disagree.

And is he doing a bad job so far? He's locked up the best in the state for this year. He kept the best in the state last year. He's already landing more highly rated out of state kids than Kill/Claeys did. What exactly are your expectations?

Looking at the current commit list, I would disagree with the bold part. Never said he is doing a bad job. Never. I've posted for months that a class ranked in the 40s is a real possibility and I would be very happy with it. If he somehow cracks 40, I'll be very excited. Those are my expectations. Flecksters have told me in multiple different ways those are too low, and I must want Fleck to fail.

As I said - folks will still argue he was a good recruiter while here. I would disagree.

To me it just depends how you look at it. He and his staff did a good job battling and winning against much better programs in recruiting. However they didn't do a good job of limiting the risky players. They took too many chances and failed to recognize possible academic or character flaws. Many top talents never made it on campus.

To me it just depends how you look at it. He and his staff did a good job battling and winning against much better programs in recruiting. However they didn't do a good job of limiting the risky players. They took too many chances and failed to recognize possible academic or character flaws. Many top talents never made it on campus.

Yes, it does depend how you look at it. Ratings and stars mean little to me (dots, of course, do). Brew had highly rated classes, but they were never assembled complete here and more washed out early. Further, IMO, the talent that was here didn't compliment each other or his (ever changing) system well enough. I look at that as poor recruiting. He may be a great recruiter, but he wasn't here. IMO.

Looking at the current commit list, I would disagree with the bold part. Never said he is doing a bad job. Never. I've posted for months that a class ranked in the 40s is a real possibility and I would be very happy with it. If he somehow cracks 40, I'll be very excited. Those are my expectations. Flecksters have told me in multiple different ways those are too low, and I must want Fleck to fail.

How do you disagree with that bolded part? The two most highly rated out of stater Kill landed were Harbison and Mayes. The 4 highest out of staters after those two are Handy Holly, Teague, Armstrong and Terrell Smith, all Fleck guys. I think that is pretty telling. Even if you say you can't count 3 of those because they aren't signed, having one in the top 3 after having a matter of weeks to recruit is telling. Fleck has already SIGNED a higher rated Safety and a higher rated DT than Kill ever did, both from out of state.

How do you disagree with that bolded part? The two most highly rated out of stater Kill landed were Harbison and Mayes. The 4 highest out of staters after those two are Handy Holly, Teague, Armstrong and Terrell Smith, all Fleck guys. I think that is pretty telling. Even if you say you can't count 3 of those because they aren't signed, having one in the top 3 after having a matter of weeks to recruit is telling. Fleck has already SIGNED a higher rated Safety and a higher rated DT than Kill ever did, both from out of state.

This is really narrowing the statistical scope to make your point...and very much depends on which rating site you use...Edwards, Holland, Gentry and Campbell were up there. Guess you are throwing Green in the in-state camp. Even though he signed after Fleck arrived, Handy-Holly was recruited by Claeys and Sawvel.

Please Pat, remind us again how you rushed to get the Smith and Street publication to find out if the Gophers would be the best in the land. A running back commits and another decommits, who would have thought! You don't like PJ, I get that, I'm not crazy about all the elite feces either. What I do like is the staff he put together and the passion he has for football. We former and current Minnesotans distrust passion except on wedding nights and even then can be skeptical (after all she dated Ole). This is what Pat loves to do, blow up the place and then say "what me?"

Top Bottom