Reusse rips Gopher recruiting

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
So bitter.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Patrick has built his career on trolling, even before anyone knew what the hell trolling was.

Patrick has built his career on trolling, even before anyone knew what the hell trolling was.
Huh...did my thread give Reusse the idea for his story. I'll be looking for that residual check in the near future. [emoji41] [emoji57]

Of course Reusse trolls, however, there is always a kernel of truth in every bit of sarcasm.

To this point, I'm not so sure Fleck has lived up to his recruiting billing. A 4 star and other recruits have flipped from the Gophers to Power 5 conferences. We have yet to land one 4 star or flip-to my limited knowledge-a 3 star of higher from a Power 5 to us. There should be plenty to sell here in Gopherland these days and I'm a little surprised we do not have more than just a high number of of Kill era 3 stars so far.

His numbers and performance at the camp indicate he is underrated. They didn't just offer him for no reason. Some high school kids dont get exposure doesnt mean they are not good.

How many 4-5 stars did he have at WMU?

Of course Reusse trolls, however, there is always a kernel of truth in every bit of sarcasm.

To this point, I'm not so sure Fleck has lived up to his recruiting billing. A 4 star and other recruits have flipped from the Gophers to Power 5 conferences. We have yet to land one 4 star or flip-to my limited knowledge-a 3 star of higher from a Power 5 to us. There should be plenty to sell here in Gopherland these days and I'm a little surprised we do not have more than just a high number of of Kill era 3 stars so far.

Just to give you an idea of context, here are some numbers. So far in 2018 Fleck has signed 12 players that are rated .8405 or higher on 247. Let's take out the in-state kids because that is a luxury that can fluctuate from year to year (still important and laudable to land them) and that gives Fleck 9 so far in this single year of recruiting.

In the ENTIRE Kill/Claeys tenure, they landed exactly 13 out of state players at that level or higher. Now, they certainly did a good job of retaining in-state talent and they should get credit for that. But these numbers tell me that if Kill/Claeys were still here, given the relatively weak year of MN talent, that our rating would be much, much lower than it is now. Fleck is most certainly vastly outperforming our previous regime in terms of recruiting. Obviously none of this is any guarantee of success, but to be criticizing the level of recruiting so far is either uneducated or motivated by snark.

The weirdest thing about looking into this was that, of the 13 that Kill/Claeys brought in from out of state, only Devondre Campbell really amounted to much (Kiondre Thomas and Demry Croft could still jump into that category). They were definitely great at finding/coaching up under recruited talent.

Let's all be honest. If PJF is going to go around town mentioning "Ranked in top 20" every chance he gets (ignoring the context of that 'ranking'), then this type of comment is more than justified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to give you an idea of context, here are some numbers. So far in 2018 Fleck has signed 12 players that are rated .8405 or higher on 247. Let's take out the in-state kids because that is a luxury that can fluctuate from year to year (still important and laudable to land them) and that gives Fleck 9 so far in this single year of recruiting.

In the ENTIRE Kill/Claeys tenure, they landed exactly 13 out of state players at that level or higher. Now, they certainly did a good job of retaining in-state talent and they should get credit for that. But these numbers tell me that if Kill/Claeys were still here, given the relatively weak year of MN talent, that our rating would be much, much lower than it is now. Fleck is most certainly vastly outperforming our previous regime in terms of recruiting. Obviously none of this is any guarantee of success, but to be criticizing the level of recruiting so far is either uneducated or motivated by snark.

The weirdest thing about looking into this was that, of the 13 that Kill/Claeys brought in from out of state, only Devondre Campbell really amounted to much (Kiondre Thomas and Demry Croft could still jump into that category). They were definitely great at finding/coaching up under recruited talent.

Let's wait til NSD to compare classes. Hopefully no one flips in the time between now and then

And yet people continue to fall for it, like the op.

Pat probably a little frustrated he hadn't seen his name on the board here for a while. Looks like he threw his line back in the water and hooked another one...

You can't be serious. With all the National press he's gotten in the last couple years, much focused on his recruiting prowess?

The point is he doesn't have the long term relationship with many of the recruits that other coaches may have. In my opinion, its best to at least give him a full year before being too critical.

Let's wait til NSD to compare classes. Hopefully no one flips in the time between now and then

Oh - for sure...I agree about waiting until NSD. My response was to someone who didn't want to wait and was already criticizing. The class could get better or worse, but at this very moment it is at unseen modern heights for this program (admittedly not a supremely high bar).

The point is he doesn't have the long term relationship with many of the recruits that other coaches may have. In my opinion, its best to at least give him a full year before being too critical.

Don't agree with this part. He's not in his first year in the coaching profession. He and his assistants have built up many relationships with coaches all over the country at their previous jobs. They have all also been building relationships with players to recruit them to those previous schools. Now they are recruiting those same players to become Gopher football players instead of _____ football players.
PJF is all about recruiting and I believe he has made some solid relationships with quite a few players that he started recruiting at WMU and is now still trying to recruit them to play for The U.

How many 4-5 stars did he have at WMU?

I may not remember right but I believe only one - Matt Falcon, a RB who originally committed to Michigan but because of an injury Harbaugh cut him loose.

Has yet to play a college game, right now is at best fourth-string on our TB depth chart.

Exactly.

Bring them in PJ! That is why he is the coach and he should be able to out recruit the lesser paid staff. New stadium, new practice digs on the way and a chance to earn a degree from the UM and many choices to future employment. No excuses.

Fleck was the flavor of the day as a result of the past season at WMU. Recruits and their HS coach should know who he is.

IMO, there is no honeymoon period. He has plenty of talent to work with and most people forget that we are coming off a 9-4 season.

This is a program that could be on the verge of making a run for a BIG West crown.

There are many good reasons why kids should play at Minnesota.

Hopefully they all meet the academic standards at the U. I seem to recall a handful of Brewster recruits that could never meet that minimum and thus never played at UMN.

Hopefully they all meet the academic standards at the U. I seem to recall a handful of Brewster recruits that could never meet that minimum and thus never played at UMN.

A few other of Brew's recruits washed out as well (not 34, but some) - and yet folks will say he was a great recruiter because of some stupid Team Ranking.

For some reason this argument sounds familiar........

let me put it this way: The Fleck supporters may in fact be right - that Fleck's recruits are better than the Kill/Claeys recruits - BUT it's a relatively small improvement - NOT a great leap forward. It's like your kid is a C student, and he comes home with a B-minus on his next test. It's a better grade, but by a small degree. It's not like the kid went from a C to an A overnight.

In some ways, Fleck is the victim of his own style. He comes on loud and strong, and draws a lot of attention. That puts him, and his performance, in the spotlight. Fleck has a reputation as a relentless recruiter - and people will be watching to see if he lives up to that reputation. So, by most standards, going from a C to a B-minus might be acceptable improvement - but for Fleck, it may not be perceived as acceptable because of the hype surrounding him - hype that he contributes to by his own style.

You hire a coach who is all about raising expectations, and he is going to have to deal with those expectations. can't have it both ways.

Fleck was hired to get the program to a place the AD didn't think the previous regime could.

Expectations are raised. Doesn't mean those expectations need to be met year one.

For some reason this argument sounds familiar........

let me put it this way: The Fleck supporters may in fact be right - that Fleck's recruits are better than the Kill/Claeys recruits - BUT it's a relatively small improvement - NOT a great leap forward. It's like your kid is a C student, and he comes home with a B-minus on his next test. It's a better grade, but by a small degree. It's not like the kid went from a C to an A overnight.

In some ways, Fleck is the victim of his own style. He comes on loud and strong, and draws a lot of attention. That puts him, and his performance, in the spotlight. Fleck has a reputation as a relentless recruiter - and people will be watching to see if he lives up to that reputation. So, by most standards, going from a C to a B-minus might be acceptable improvement - but for Fleck, it may not be perceived as acceptable because of the hype surrounding him - hype that he contributes to by his own style.

You hire a coach who is all about raising expectations, and he is going to have to deal with those expectations. can't have it both ways.

Fleck is not the victim of anything. He is who he is, he is going to sell his expectations of the program and a culture of winning. Did you expect him to tone it down and tell his recruits that they have a chance to finish 3rd in the B1G west? Too many are so quick to criticize the new staff before they have even coached a game.

He is a new, first year P5 coach and there is no way a handful of 4*'s are going to commit to him until he proves himself at this level. Belittle him as much as you want, but there is no doubt he is bringing in more players that other P5 programs want then the prior coaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJF is undefeated.

I'd hold off until after the November 26 Wisconsin game.

A few other of Brew's recruits washed out as well (not 34, but some) - and yet folks will say he was a great recruiter because of some stupid Team Ranking.

He was/is a great recruiter. That's why he has a job at FSU. His widely known for his recruiting ability within his profession.

You can't be serious. With all the National press he's gotten in the last couple years, much focused on his recruiting prowess?

And is he doing a bad job so far? He's locked up the best in the state for this year. He kept the best in the state last year. He's already landing more highly rated out of state kids than Kill/Claeys did. What exactly are your expectations?

Ho hum...another negative tweet by him. What else is new?

Not until I get my check. I'll buy drinks for the Gopherhole on the first game when it comes in. [emoji481] [emoji482]

I'll have a Modelo please... I'm a simple man of simple tastes. All this micro brew haha and IPA craziness is too much [emoji6][emoji57]

He was/is a great recruiter. That's why he has a job at FSU. His widely known for his recruiting ability within his profession.

Well, he wasn't a great recruiter here at MN. My point was that people still refer to his one class as the best we have had here - but that is based on team rankings ignoring that a number of those players never made it to campus or washed out quickly. It is yet another reason to basically ignore team rankings once you get beyond 15 or so. IMO, of course.
FTR - Brew also had no idea how to recruit players that fit a system or complimented each other. Bottom Line is that he was not a good recruiter at MN. IMO.

I'll have a Modelo please... I'm a simple man of simple tastes. All this micro brew haha and IPA craziness is too much [emoji6][emoji57]

PBR for everyone!

Top Bottom