ESPN: "Don't be surprised if Blake Cashman finishes with at least 10 sacks"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Each year college football produces a new list of previously unheralded names and unexpected accomplishments. Not many expected Trace McSorley to rewrite the Penn State record books last year. Who expected a fullback (Khalid Hill) to lead Michigan's potent offense in touchdowns? How many casual Big Ten fans knew of Indiana tackling machine Tegray Scales even midway through the season?

The 2017 season will be no different. It's hard to say exactly where the next wave of surprises will emerge, but sifting through last year's stats and sorting out what the fall might hold provides a better picture of some of the Big Ten players who have a chance to catch our attention before the year's end. For discussion's sake, let's take a stab at some of the West Division players who could jump onto the national radar if everything breaks right for them this year. Don't be surprised if ...

Minnesota's Blake Cashman finishes with at least 10 sacks

The former walk-on linebacker may have found his scholarship in an Easter egg hunt, but he really earned it by tracking down quarterbacks last fall. Cashman had 7.5 sacks for the Gophers last year as a sophomore. With another season of experience, a maturing group around him and some serious closing speed, he has everything he needs to make a name for himself as one of the conference's most efficient pass-rushers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/142526/names-that-may-surprise-in-big-ten-west-this-year

Go Gophers!!

Would love to see it but let's not get carried away.

Sent from my Commodore 64.

From the sounds of it, Cash Money is going to get opportunities, with more use of LB's as pass-rushers to compensate for lack of depth at DE.

It's true that some things can be taught, but some things just seem to be innate. Cashman has that innate ability to make plays. Other guys may have more physical ability, but whatever "it" is, Cashman has "it." BTN was showing their 60-minute version of the Washington State game, and it seemed like every time Cashman was on the field, something good happened. He also made a lot of plays on special teams.

he's becoming one of my favorite players on the team. I just hope the new coaching staff can utilize his skills to the fullest.

per ESPN:

For discussion's sake, let's take a stab at some of the West Division players who could jump onto the national radar if everything breaks right for them this year. Don't be surprised if ...

Minnesota's Blake Cashman finishes with at least 10 sacks

The former walk-on linebacker may have found his scholarship in an Easter egg hunt, but he really earned it by tracking down quarterbacks last fall. Cashman had 7.5 sacks for the Gophers last year as a sophomore. With another season of experience, a maturing group around him and some serious closing speed, he has everything he needs to make a name for himself as one of the conference's most efficient pass-rushers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/142526/names-that-may-surprise-in-big-ten-west-this-year

Go Gophers!!

Part of my reason for optimism for 2017 is the anticipated step forward by some of the best young linebackers I've seen in a long time at Minnesota.

Cashman's knack for finding and getting to the ball on defense and special teams was phenomenol. He was not a full-time player in 2016.

Kamal Martin, Carter Coughlin and Thomas Barber were really just raw true freshmen still getting their feet wet in 2016. I think all three of them could also be break-out names in 2017.

Celestin is a pre-season All Big Ten guy. If Poock can return to 2015 form and if Huff continues to develop and Waters also steps up...look out.

Smith (an NFL LB coach and a coordinator of top 15 defenses at multiple stops) made a great move installing a modified 3-4 this Spring.

From the sounds of it, Cash Money is going to get opportunities, with more use of LB's as pass-rushers to compensate for lack of depth at DE.

It's true that some things can be taught, but some things just seem to be innate. Cashman has that innate ability to make plays. Other guys may have more physical ability, but whatever "it" is, Cashman has "it." BTN was showing their 60-minute version of the Washington State game, and it seemed like every time Cashman was on the field, something good happened. He also made a lot of plays on special teams.

he's becoming one of my favorite players on the team. I just hope the new coaching staff can utilize his skills to the fullest.

Nice...they could play Pink Floyd or just the cash register part after every big play he has this season. He's one of my favorites as well.

Part of my reason for optimism for 2017 is the anticipated step forward by some of the best young linebackers I've seen in a long time at Minnesota.

Cashman's knack for finding and getting to the ball on defense and special teams was phenomenol. He was not a full-time player in 2016.

Kamal Martin, Carter Coughlin and Thomas Barber were really just raw true freshmen still getting their feet wet in 2016. I think all three of them could also be break-out names in 2017.

Celestin is a pre-season All Big Ten guy. If Poock can return to 2015 form and if Huff continues to develop and Waters also steps up...look out.

Smith (an NFL LB coach and a coordinator of top 15 defenses at multiple stops) made a great move installing a modified 3-4 this Spring.

Lol, 4th team defense according to Athlon. Doh-kay

In addition to Cash, Coughlin, Kamal and Barber, it is exciting to note that Winfield, Devers, Waters and DeLattiboudere also were getting their first taste of the Big Ten last year...Winfield was great and Fleck couldn't say enough good things about him in the Spring. Interested to see both DeLattiboudere and Devers after a year of strength and conditioning. Kiondre and Durr also part of the outstanding group of young guys on the defense.

Very nice core of 9 returning freshman and sophomores to build the defense on.

Our offense is a mystery, but I'm as excited as anyone about the defense. The personnel on D looks really good, especially the LBs.

10 sacks would be great for starters. As he gets blocked more, then hopefully the door opens for others for their share of sacks.

I am excited about the entire LB corps. Let's hope they leave corpses in the dust. :cool03:

Totally agree and Barber didn't really get off special teams and into regular sets until later in the season. Upside on these three is huge part of my optimism for this year and beyond.

This is lunacy, 10 sacks? That's not even one a game! Let's see now, 13 games at 4 sacks per game, Cashman will have 48 sacks this year, yup 48 sacks!

Our offense is a mystery, but I'm as excited as anyone about the defense. The personnel on D looks really good, especially the LBs.

The RB and TE units aren't a mystery. They return everybody from last year! Coach said the new RB coach Burns had already upped that group's game in Spring work. The TE coach Callahan was named coach of the year by Coach Scoop for his part in WMU's great offense. Both units not only return all, but add some good recruits.

The oline isn't too much of a mystery with 7 of 10 from last year's two-deep returning and the best oline coach in the nation working with them. Remember that Greene, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler were getting their first Big Ten action last year...those four with starting experience under their belts now will take a nice step forward under Warinner and new Strength and Conditioning regimen. Olson looked great in the Spring; even if Moore or Mayes returned, he might have been ahead of them. Redshirt also comes off Schlueter; remember he had offers from MSU, WI, Northwestern, Iowa State. Connelly, Dovich, Oseland are now upper-classmen...they all got some game reps last year and got a ton of reps in Spring; they will compete for starting spots. Gophs are also adding some great recruits who will push all the returning vets.

WR and QB I would expect to be better. Fleck and Simon are WR whisperers with great proven success at NFL and multiple college stops. They get to work with Croft and Green who Lose Woli, but return everyone else at WR and add some great recruits and redshirted freshmen. Ciarrocca is a legit QB guru with multiple pupils in the NFL and his offense is QB friendly. Rhoda a solid vet; great young talent to work with: Croft's 247 ranking was 88...Green's 247 composite was 88 plus.

Don't forget football is three-phase game...Gophers special teams among best in nation.

Lot to be excited about!

This is lunacy, 10 sacks? That's not even one a game! Let's see now, 13 games at 4 sacks per game, Cashman will have 48 sacks this year, yup 48 sacks!

How can that happen? Our defense isn't going to let them have 48 plays a game!

On paper, the defense seems to have fewer question marks than the offense. the one big question on Defense is the secondary. But if the DLine and LB's play up to their potential, that should buy some time for the DB corps to gel.

As mentioned above, special teams should be among the best in the B1G with Carpenter and Santoso back.

So, it comes down to the offense. Like Swingman said, I think there is enough depth (and talent) on the o-line to be at least adequate, and hopefully better than adequate. RB is solid. TE depends on Lingen being healthy. If he is close to 100%, TE is a plus. That brings us down to WR and QB. at WR, someone needs to emerge. I hope that someone is Tyler Johnson. I really see him as one of the major keys to the season. If he plays well, the Gophs look a lot better on Offense.

And then, we come to QB. Fleck has two basic options (and maybe 3): game manager type with Rhoda - younger with more potential, but also more up-and-down from Croft - or, if neither of the top two work, throw the kid (Morgan) in the deep end of the pool and hope like heck he can keep his head above water.

On paper, the defense seems to have fewer question marks than the offense. the one big question on Defense is the secondary. But if the DLine and LB's play up to their potential, that should buy some time for the DB corps to gel.

As mentioned above, special teams should be among the best in the B1G with Carpenter and Santoso back.

So, it comes down to the offense. Like Swingman said, I think there is enough depth (and talent) on the o-line to be at least adequate, and hopefully better than adequate. RB is solid. TE depends on Lingen being healthy. If he is close to 100%, TE is a plus. That brings us down to WR and QB. at WR, someone needs to emerge. I hope that someone is Tyler Johnson. I really see him as one of the major keys to the season. If he plays well, the Gophs look a lot better on Offense.

And then, we come to QB. Fleck has two basic options (and maybe 3): game manager type with Rhoda - younger with more potential, but also more up-and-down from Croft - or, if neither of the top two work, throw the kid (Morgan) in the deep end of the pool and hope like heck he can keep his head above water.

If Fleck's able to get the TOP a little more favorable and the T/Os down as he did at WMU, this defense will light it up. I hope both Still and Johnson emerge.

Top Bottom