Week 2: Air Force

frozengopher

Devious and Conniving Member
Reaction score
Good win, albeit ugly (as Spermophilus stated in another thread, good to be on the positive side of one of these games). It's time to stop pissing, moaning, and spreading doom and gloom about today. We open our new stadium on the 12th, and we are playing a team that runs a similar offense to Navy, who took tOSU to the wire today. The coaches absolutely must get their heads together and figure out what it's going to take to keep momentum going for the season.

I don't know what to think of Air Force. They play in the MWC, which makes me consider the game may be slightly less competitive compared to playing a Big East team, but they seem to consistently take tough BCS opponents to the wire, while only passing a small fraction of the time. 72-0 today is not a good indicator of next week, as there was lesser competition in Nicholls St., but we are only two years off from losing to a tough NDSU team.

Thoughts?

I think we better pack a lunch, after what I saw today. Weber needs to be much more accurate and hopefully Bennett is not hurt too bad. I have little to no faith in Eskridge, maybe he can prove me wrong someday. The O-line needs to play better and we need to have less penalties. Making a play on D, instead of dropping INT's like they did today, wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully the team and crowd will be so amped up that we can get up on them early and keep the crowd in the game.

Good win, albeit ugly (as Spermophilus stated in another thread, good to be on the positive side of one of these games). It's time to stop pissing, moaning, and spreading doom and gloom about today. We open our new stadium on the 12th, and we are playing a team that runs a similar offense to Navy, who took tOSU to the wire today. The coaches absolutely must get their heads together and figure out what it's going to take to keep momentum going for the season.

I don't know what to think of Air Force. They play in the MWC, which makes me consider the game may be slightly less competitive compared to playing a Big East team, but they seem to consistently take tough BCS opponents to the wire, while only passing a small fraction of the time. 72-0 today is not a good indicator of next week, as there was lesser competition in Nicholls St., but we are only two years off from losing to a tough NDSU team.

Thoughts?

Interesting perspective. The MWC has 3 Top 25 teams compared to zero for the Big East. Last season it was 3 to 1 with the MWC possessing two Top 10 teams. I'm always baffled by those from other parts of the country who think the MWC is a lesser conference than the Big East or ACC when results on the field speak otherwise.

Interesting perspective. The MWC has 3 Top 25 teams compared to zero for the Big East. Last season it was 3 to 1 with the MWC possessing two Top 10 teams. I'm always baffled by those from other parts of the country who think the MWC is a lesser conference than the Big East or ACC when results on the field speak otherwise.

Compare the MWC to the big east if you want, but the ACC is a gigantic stretch. Don't be baffled, not everyone compares the quality of conferences based on the the last couple of years.

Compare the MWC to the big east if you want, but the ACC is a gigantic stretch. Don't be baffled, not everyone compares the quality of conferences based on the the last couple of years.

Phil Steele agrees with me even if you don't. By the way, the #3 MWC team just took down the #2 Big 12 team. None of it matters in our game next Saturday, I just think there are a lot of college football fans who can't see west of the Big 12 Conference.

(edit: OU is the #2 Big 12 team vice #1)

Thoughts?

Today's game went exactly as I anticipated. The team came out the same way we have in each of the past three years first games. Unprepared and not ready for the start of the game. We got a gift on the first play of the game. At least we took advantage of it this year (improvement).

While I hope I am wrong, I do expect we'll lose Saturday. The two things we need to beat a good team that runs the option like AF does -- Focus and Discipline. Neither of the have been hallmarks of the team under Brewster, throw in the opening a brand new stadium and that will push the focus further from where it needs to be. Throw on top of that our offensive struggles, it could be a very long day if we leave the "D" on the field all day.

Let's hope the crowd can help confuse AF and inspire the team to overcome the hype and buzz around the new stadium and the coaches have the team ready and disciplined for AF.

Air Force offense and defense..after game 1

Hi all, it will be interesting to see what our team does on the field Saturday. Today we ran a very effective but little imagination offense. We passsed 'alittle' 5-7 but I expect you will see more of a mix next week. I think you'll see alot of variation of the option out of different formations and then the set up for the play action pass. 'IF' we can contain your defensive line then I think we can cause you some problems. Did have the BTN so couldn't see your game....don't know if Syracuse use more run/option/or pass so can't compare.

Our defense did very well versus the run today but didn't get much opportunity versus the pass as our D-Line did contain well on the run and pressured the passer alot. Will be anxious to see how we look versus you.

Big win by the MWC tonight over Oklahoma. Two Heisman QB's going at it until OK's QB out hurt. A very good win for the MWC. We feel 'honored' to visit your house and the Big Ten. Our league has several key matchups in the next few weeks with the 'BCS' boys, so our league and our team view this game as a very important matchup.

Should be a good one.

GO FALCONS

I watched the Minnesota game today, and Gophers fans can take away a number of positives from that performance. The Gophers were away, it was the first game of the season, and they came from behind to win. I thought they showed a lot of moxie with that comeback.

I can understand why many of your fans don't know much about the MWC. We have our own network, "the mtn," which is not widely available, except via Directv, we play in the mountain or pacific time zone, and the BCS did not choose to include our conference in their club.

There are some things to note, however. While Syracuse drew 48,000 fans for its opener against a Big-10 opponent, Air Force drew 42,500 for an opener against an FCS (1-AA) opponent. While many casual fans might only know Utah, BYU and TCU from the MWC, Air Force beat both TCU and Utah two seasons ago to finish second in the MWC, played Cal in a bowl game and lost after giving up a 21-point lead when our starting quarterback suffered a career-ending injury. Last year we had a very young team, including a freshman quarterback, but still won 8 games.

There was a comment on this board that the Gophers would wear down the Falcons, and that they should just run the ball down their throats due to the disparity of the size of the lines. Air Force faces several teams every season with lines as big as Minnesota's. It's nothing new to Air Force.

You probably don't know anything about our coaching staff. Troy Calhoun, an Academy graduate, was with the Broncos and moved to Houston as the offensive coordinator for the Texans. He has a brilliant football mind that captures the details. He has assembled a staff that, I think, is the best in the nation. Tim DeRuyter is the defensive coordinator. He came from Nevada, where he shaped that team into one of the best defensive units in the nation, and he has totally transformed the Air Force defense. It won't be long before his work is noticed by some big-name teams, and he will leave to become a head coach. Blane Morgan, the offensive coordinator, quarterbacked an Air Force team that went 12-1 his senior year. He's on the fast track, also. In any case, I think you will see that these guys will have the Falcons ready when they step on your beautiful field next week.

I know the fans are excited, and I have read many comments from the Air Force players about how they are honored to be coming to your stadium for the opening game. It should be an exciting game.

Nah.....we have a whole new scheme that we didn't show in the first game....we actually run a pro spread offense, you'll see 5 receivers everydown and maybe we'll run the ball 2-3 times in the game, all out of a basic 'I' formation. All passing, no run..... No worries.

GO FALCONS
football.gif

U of M got out coached today but the talent for the u won the game. Let's hope that doesn't happen next week. stunting is tough to pick up early in the season.

Actually I thought it was our coaching that won us the game yesterday....

AAFalcon, question.......

I remember that game against Cal, AF was really impressive. I do think the comeback had a lot to do with your QB going down but I also remember ESPN spinning it saying once Cal unleashed it's 2 suspended players onto the field AF didn't have a chance, I *HATE* ESPN sometimes.......

It should be a good game this Saturday.......

Good question...AF was leading 7-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and, according to the summary, the receivers sat out the 1st quarter and came in the 2nd (one getting a TD pass). So at the end of the half it was 21-14 AF....game ended up 36-42 Cal.....I was there and believe the loss of the quarterback was the turning point although Cal WAS more explosive when their players returned. AF was up 27-28 in 3d qtr when we lost our QB... http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273652005

GO FALCONS

Top Bottom