Is it just me or is the star level of our recruiting

MennoSota

Reaction score
...awfully similar to the recruits we got when Kill & company were running the farm?

Most kids are 2 and 3 star, under the radar type kids.

Personally, I have no problem with the recruits we are getting, but I don't see any real upgrade over the past regime.

...awfully similar to the recruits we got when Kill & company were running the farm?

Personally, I have no problem with the recruits we are getting, but I don't see any real upgrade over the past regime.

Kill's recruits were not as elite :p

All jokes aside I agree with you. Will be interesting to see how the class ends up.

Most of these recruits have multiple Power 5 offers.

We were beating out Western Michigan for Kill's recruits.

It's what my own eyes see!

So NO, I'd say they aren't the same.

personally I really like just about all our commits so far and your right still 2 and 3 star kids, but a good handful of these kids have a much better list of offers then the 3 stars kill and TC were bringing in. I think the biggest thing for me is, how quickly he is doin it. We already have 15+ commits, we never saw this rate of recruiting with those guys. He is getting out there and selling the brand and kids are buying in, if The gophers come out and go 8-4/9-3(which I think is possible)or even 7-5 with a bowl win, I absolutely think eLITe19 will have a handful of 4 star kids rowing the boat.

It will be interesting to see how many commits actually sign NLI

Stars don't lie. By the end of the recruiting cycle we will finish 45-55 if we do not land any 4 stars. Outside of signing a bunch of 3 stars early, not much has changed or improved from Jerry's era. Has Fleck underachieved to this point considering all his talk about recruiting?

3* > 3*. Simple Math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really see no difference in the level of recruits. I just mostly read what those who follow it closer say. From those observations I see a difference in recruits that are looking at us but the actual recruits that are committing are not at least significantly better. I won't get into all the high 3* to low 3*. I hope it all works out but after all the hoopla I was thinking that we would have a number of 4* on the commit list. Maybe they are still on the way. I hope so. Yes ... I know .... they are recruiting to a system.

Not sure if they op was just trolling. Assuming not, the recruits are definitely an upgrade (on paper) albeit not by a huge margin. High 3 Stars vs low 3 Stars basically.

Sent from my Commodore 64.

I hope we show improvement at the end of the day but if we finish in the same range of past rankings with the addition of the Village, what will be the spin from Fleck? He does not seem to miss the opportunity to cite the "top 20 recruiting class" despite the fact the class is ranked high based on quantity, not quality at this time...

I believe the depth of this class is stronger so far. The rating is similar to what Claeys added in 2016, but that was also with the help of a 4-star in-state kid who wanted to stay home. That ranking would go down considerably without him.

Just to explain this further...
The current average rating is .8449, which is comparable to the .8425 average in 2016.
The current team score (which is how the rankings are ordered) is 170.60, but a player add at the current average rating would bump that team score up 3 points to 173.05 (which is why schools with more commits jump higher in the rankings). However, a player at Coughlin's rating would jump the team score up to 183.40.

That extra 13 points roughly bumped the 2016 class to 46 when it would otherwise be at about 59.

Now, we'll never know for certain if the in-state kids would've come here if it wasn't the home state school. However, I think it's important to note how much a strong in-state class helped in 2016.

Kiondre Thomas was the highest-rated 2016 HS signee not from MN at .8466 (counting Green as local). Fleck already has six non-Minnesotans who are rated higher than .8500, not counting today's commitment.

I'll state the obvious. It's June. Long ways to go still. Guys will decommit and we will get new commits.

Alabama is currently ranked 66th will four recruits. (Three of those are 4 stars)

I'll state the obvious. It's June. Long ways to go still. Guys will decommit and we will get new commits.

Alabama is currently ranked 66th will four recruits. (Three of those are 4 stars)

That's why I didn't make any comparisons to other programs. Just comparing 2016 to 2018, which is what the OP did.

I'm a big fan of Fleck.
I don't know if these recruits are much better or not. Not going to worry too much about it right now.
Easier to judge this on NFL draft day in 3-5 years.

I look at offers from P5 teams and I would say that on paper thats better than last year. I also have noticed a higher amount of highly rated recruits checking us out. That said I actually thought that the Kill/Claey's philosophy was quite brilliant. Take the best of the non-P5 and develop them. However that is incredibly difficult to do...to consistently hit on those kids. I had no problem with their recruiting as they brought talent in and brought the program back to a very competitive level.

Meh he hasn't recruited any 4* but this is also his first year here. The coaching staff will have time to build better relationships with guys moving forward. Once he establishes the culture and starts winning football games that should open the door for a lot of recruits. Plus showing them nice facilities is a lot better than showing them a computer simulation of nice facilities

Kiondre Thomas was the highest-rated 2016 HS signee not from MN at .8466 (counting Green as local). Fleck already has six non-Minnesotans who are rated higher than .8500, not counting today's commitment.

Excellent analysis. Whether Fleck should have done better so far is a reasonable question, of course.

I like his emphasis on recruiting, and while his methods may strike a born and bred Minnesotan like me as uncomfortably superficial, I am getting used to it. Again and again, I hear the Energizer Bunny thing is no act.

As to his recruiting success at Western Michigan, there can be no doubt. Here are 247 rankings for several years:

Year Rank in MAC
2008 5
2009 2
2010 9
2011 2
2012 6
2013 7
2014 1
2015 2
2016 1

Fleck was there from 2013 to 2016. The above implies it took a while for his recruiting to take hold, but ultimately it did, and in a big way. I hope for the same here in time.

Here is the link:http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

And now, got the Gophers, ranking since 2008

Year Rank in Big Ten
2008 6
2009 7
2010 8
2011 12
2012 12
2013 14
2014 11
2015 13
2016 8
2017 12
2018 5 (long way to go!)

Jerry was our coach from 2011 to 2015. His recruiting performance was pretty lackluster. But in my opinion, he did coach them to a higher level.

I remain optimistic that Fleck will outperform Jerry in recruiting rankings, and on the field.

Here is the 247 link: http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

Please point out any mistakes?

And now, got the Gophers, ranking since 2008

Year Rank in Big Ten
2008 6
2009 7
2010 8
2011 12
2012 12
2013 14
2014 11
2015 13
2016 8
2017 12
2018 5 (long way to go!)

Jerry was our coach from 2011 to 2015. His recruiting performance was pretty lackluster. But in my opinion, he did coach them to a higher level.

I remain optimistic that Fleck will outperform Jerry in recruiting rankings, and on the field.

Here is the 247 link: http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

Please point out any mistakes?

Man how'd he pull a 6 in 2008?

Them's fightin' words...get ready.

I decided to take a similar view of Jerry Kill's time in Northern Illinois. Again, from 247:

Year Rank in MAC
2004 3
2005 6
2006 8
2007 7
2008 11
2009 9
2010 8

Jerry was there 2008 to 2010. Clearly he did not elevate recruiting at his team anywhere near how Fleck did in the MAC.

Here is the 247 link: http://northernillinois.247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/Commits

Your post also illustrates Kill/Claeyes did more with less at NIU (and MN) relative to croot rankings. Fleck did more with more talent. If Fleck can recruit at a higher level and coach them up then we should be cooking. If he can't elevate middle of the Big Ten pack recruits like Wisconsin and Iowa have then we'll be sitting in pretty much the same solid but unspectacular situation, albeit with a more telegenic coach.

I am fine with 3* recruits for most positions. What I believe would make the difference is if Fleck and company can get an above average quarterback. That, to me, seems like the biggest let-down of the Kill/Claeys regime. They could not develop an above average quarterback.

I am a simple guy when it comes to recruiting.

Two questions:

1. can they play?

2. do they fit the coaches' system?

Brewster brought in arguably higher-ranked recruits, but it's hard to fit the system when the coach doesn't know what his own system is, and changes it from year to year.

Kill (and Claeys) did not bring in a lot of "big-time" recruits, but they did a good job IMHO of recruiting to their system, and got contributions from a lot of unheralded recruits.

with Fleck, the jury is out for at least a couple of years. Need to see what his recruits look like when they hit the field, and see how they fit into the system on O and D.

As Pompous said, if Fleck can bring in a better caliber of recruits, and they fit his system, then on paper, the team's performance should improve. Only time will tell.

Most of these recruits have multiple Power 5 offers.

We were beating out Western Michigan for Kill's recruits.

It's what my own eyes see!

So NO, I'd say they aren't the same.

So you've seen all these new recruits play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom