CBS: Coach K renews call for high school players to be eligible for the NBA Draft

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski stated his case for changes he would like for college basketball, notably saying high school players should be eligible for the NBA Draft. Speaking on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" show Tuesday, the discussion centered mostly around the NBA possibly changing its minimum age rule and Krzyzewski echoed sentiments of a lot of coaches we spoke to earlier this week.

Krzyzewski also fought back on the idea that he's altered the way he recruits in the one-and-done era.

"People say that we've changed our recruiting philosophy," he said. "We haven't changed our recruiting philosophy. We've always recruited really good players who are good students and good kids, and now that combination has produced one-and-dones. Grant Hill and Elton Brand, Elton Brand was a two-and-done. We've had a number of guys who early on, like 10, 20 years ago, they would be one-and-dones right now. So that's who we have attracted. We're not going to stop recruiting them, but it doesn't mean we've changed our philosophy. The world of basketball has changed, and we're trying to adapt to those changes."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ool-players-to-be-eligible-for-the-nba-draft/

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski stated his case for changes he would like for college basketball, notably saying high school players should be eligible for the NBA Draft. Speaking on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" show Tuesday, the discussion centered mostly around the NBA possibly changing its minimum age rule and Krzyzewski echoed sentiments of a lot of coaches we spoke to earlier this week.

Krzyzewski also fought back on the idea that he's altered the way he recruits in the one-and-done era.

"People say that we've changed our recruiting philosophy," he said. "We haven't changed our recruiting philosophy. We've always recruited really good players who are good students and good kids, and now that combination has produced one-and-dones. Grant Hill and Elton Brand, Elton Brand was a two-and-done. We've had a number of guys who early on, like 10, 20 years ago, they would be one-and-dones right now. So that's who we have attracted. We're not going to stop recruiting them, but it doesn't mean we've changed our philosophy. The world of basketball has changed, and we're trying to adapt to those changes."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ool-players-to-be-eligible-for-the-nba-draft/

Go Gophers!!

Good students. Will Avery.

Such a piece of trash is k

It should be similar to baseball except 2 years instead of 3. You can be eligible for the draft out of high school, but if you go to college, you have to stay at least 2 years.

It should be similar to baseball except 2 years instead of 3. You can be eligible for the draft out of high school, but if you go to college, you have to stay at least 2 years.

Completely agree. It can be 2 years or 3 years, I don't really care. But I can't stand the one and done era.

I actually think hockey does it best - have almost everybody get drafted at 18 but you are still allowed to go to college and the drafting team retains your rights until you are ready. Late bloomers and overlooked prospects can sign as free agents. I would also maybe add a 3rd round. This would make 2nd/3rd round picks much more interesting because when you're dealing with all 18 year old kids, there is a larger chance of getting a 'sleeper.' If you never develop to the liking of the team that drafted you, you can be traded to another team or start looking overseas.

I still don't understand everyone's issue with guys going one and done. It has actually helped mid-majors and other senior-laden teams have opportunities to compete for the title. Also Jason Richardson, Corey Maggette, Steph Marbury, etc.. all left early as fresh/soph & that wasn't an issue then

I still don't understand everyone's issue with guys going one and done. It has actually helped mid-majors and other senior-laden teams have opportunities to compete for the title. Also Jason Richardson, Corey Maggette, Steph Marbury, etc.. all left early as fresh/soph & that wasn't an issue then

The players, this families and in particular their agents. They all want that guaranteed money as soon possible. Might not be the best thing for the players themselves or the NBA, but it's understandable.

If any 18 year old could get a job that would pay them for 3 years salary, if they were employed for those years or not, most kids would take that deal. Now make that 3 year guaranteed money well into the millions. Why anybody wouldn't try and get that money as soon as they can is the real question.

Someplayers who went directly to the NBA from H.S., have said that if they could do it over, they'd head to college for that year. Note that none of them say that without the benefit of hindsight, they would have turned down the money.

Here is the thing. Coach K's opinion doesn't matter. It is not his decision to make. The NBA is a private enterprise, and can make this rule if they want. Kind of like Pearson, Specter & Litt law firm only hiring lawyers from Harvard.

The NBA wants to protect their investment by ensuring players prove themselves against worthy competition before drafting them. Just like my company wouldn't have hired me without a college degree. Just like some companies wont hire for a position without an MBA. That is their choice. It is their money at stake. They need to protect their investment. Just look at the Wolves 1st round pick of Ndubi Ebi

Here is the thing. Coach K's opinion doesn't matter. It is not his decision to make. The NBA is a private enterprise, and can make this rule if they want. Kind of like Pearson, Specter & Litt law firm only hiring lawyers from Harvard.

The NBA wants to protect their investment by ensuring players prove themselves against worthy competition before drafting them. Just like my company wouldn't have hired me without a college degree. Just like some companies wont hire for a position without an MBA. That is their choice. It is their money at stake. They need to protect their investment. Just look at the Wolves 1st round pick of Ndubi Ebi

Correct, so it is in the best interests of the league to wait as long as possible to draft players. The older they are and the more they have been evaluated against high caliber competition, the less risk the teams take. The league can make whatever rules it wants but probably needs to negotiate them with the players association. I have little admiration for K on the character front, but I agree with him on immediate draft eligibility. It forces the teams to take the risk. So far, the league appears to have no desire to adopt an elaborate and expensive minor league system like MLB, though, so they will likely try to push draft eligibility out as far as they can.

Adam Silver has said in interviews that it will change one way or another when they negotiate the next CBA. He wants to bump the age limit to 20, and the NBPA wants to lower it to 18. Neither of them are happy with it at 19, so at least it's going to change relatively soon.

Love the Suits reference btw. Awesome show

I just think it's kind of silly to force guys to go to college (I realize they also have the option of playing overseas, but so few go that route) when they have absolutely zero intention of graduating. If they want to go pro right away they should be able to do that. One and dones would be cut down drastically by lowering the age limit, because a lot of the guys who would be one and dones would just go to the NBA right out of HS. You'd still have maybe a few every year, but you wouldn't have almost 20 like this year.

I just think it's kind of silly to force guys to go to college (I realize they also have the option of playing overseas, but so few go that route) when they have absolutely zero intention of graduating. If they want to go pro right away they should be able to do that. One and dones would be cut down drastically by lowering the age limit, because a lot of the guys who would be one and dones would just go to the NBA right out of HS. You'd still have maybe a few every year, but you wouldn't have almost 20 like this year.

I would be curious to know how many of the one and dones would have been drafted out of high school had they been able to be drafted right away. My concern for the players is that a lot of them overrate their own talent and readiness to play in the NBA. If 20 guys a year are declaring out of high school, I bet half of them are not drafted, and very few are immediate impact players. An 18 year-old for guaranteed money over three years is a high risk proposition for an NBA team and a great deal for the few players who get the guaranteed money.

You think it is silly for a company to limit their risk and ensure their employees, which are paid millions, are capable of being productive at such a high level?

You think it is silly for a company to limit their risk and ensure their employees, which are paid millions, are capable of being productive at such a high level?

Exactly. The NBA should be able to set up whatever draft eligibility requirements they deem necessary and if they decide it's best for the league to mandate kids to play in college then so be it. And as long as it's collectively bargained with the players union, thats what happens. The argument that it's unfair to the kids is irrelevant IMO.

I don't think making guys go to college for one year does much to mitigate that risk. The NBA is taking steps toward a more legitimate "minor league" with the D-League, and I think that is more effective than any age limit.

I go back and forth in my own head on whether players should be allowed to go pro out of HS. But I don't like the 19 year old age limit and it doesn't sound like the NBA players, owners, coaches or commissioner like it either. Some sort of hybrid like MLB would be interesting to see.

What It's Like To Be 19-Years-Old and Then, Suddenly, A Millionaire - Esquire

A 19-year-old sits at a round table near the stage and watches as three other teenagers and a 20-year-old become professional basketball players—and millionaires. Then he hears his name. "With the fifth pick in the 2017 NBA Draft," commissioner Adam Silver reads from the Barclays Center podium, "the Sacramento Kings select De'Aaron Fox from the University of Kentucky." Fox stands up and hugs his parents. On the biggest night of his life, it's the last time he'll see them for close to two-and-a-half hours. In between, he'll sit for 21 different interviews, pose for photos with an endless line of young fans, and immediately take on all the obligations of being a professional athlete.

There aren't many people here better equipped for the competition. Fox is an explosively dynamic player, with speed that's been compared to John Wall, disruptive hands on defense, and a fearlessness that allows him to take on bigger players at both ends of the court. He has work to do on his jump shot, and he doesn't have the height or the wingspan of some of the other top picks. But he has the belief, and the fire...

http://www.esquire.com/news-politic.../?src=nl&mag=esq&list=nl_enl_news&date=062417

Most probably can't academically go beyond one or two years. Take all the easy classes as far as you can go and then drop out. I know that people disagree with me but then you forget the purpose of going to school in the first place. No most players don't go back to school should they not make it in the NBA as previously been said. They simply can't do it academically. To me this is stupid. The NCCA is simply the farm club for the NBA and they don't have to pay for it.

Most probably can't academically go beyond one or two years. Take all the easy classes as far as you can go and then drop out.

This is simply not true. If you do your research you will realize a lot of these one and dones are often exceptional students coming out of High School which makes sense considering the dedication they show in playing basketball. If anything there should be more made out of the fact that programs push players towards taking easier classes and not helping them to realize their academic potential. Just because a kid dreams of the NBA doesn't mean they should be encouraged to spend more time on practice and film by taking lighter classes. This article's lays out why this happens pretty well: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...lasses-easy-majors/1ap6285n69pcg1bnfhn2ppitvh

You have to wonder why people can't seem to comprehend the concept of someone being a great athlete and a great student.

Most probably can't academically go beyond one or two years. Take all the easy classes as far as you can go and then drop out. I know that people disagree with me but then you forget the purpose of going to school in the first place. No most players don't go back to school should they not make it in the NBA as previously been said. They simply can't do it academically. To me this is stupid. The NCCA is simply the farm club for the NBA and they don't have to pay for it.

Thats not true. Don't you remember those commercials?

There are over 400,000 NCAA student-athletes, and most of us will go pro in something other than sports.

Look at Miles Bridges for example. He was pegged as a one and done right out of the gate. He liked college so much, he passed up the millions to come back for another year.

Now, now...none of that!

Well I'll admit I went too far with that comment. Problem being is that I don't trust the NBA or the NCCA nor do I trust our government. While all three have done good things and I appreciate that. The bottom line is that we don't hear about the garbage that goes on all the time. When it does come out, its sickening.

Top Bottom